Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Postby dageir » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Any game that depends on an update every two weeks to keep its player base is not a very good game.
Im not saying this is the case for this game, but it obviously has its flaws.

Edit:
I just discovered a huge flaw: The "inspiration" limit. So now I cant advance my character skill wise until tomorrow?
Some days I dont have time to play at all, others I can play quite a bit. This inspiration limit makes sure Im going to be stopped from advancing the days I actually have time to play. I think this is it for me. Fare well.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby Hardsun » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Whiskybob wrote:Only thing that bugs me is lack of any updates. This game used to get an update every month or every two weeks even. Now its just stale.

I think the main reason is Hafen 2 - and there are on 24h in day ... They simply dont have time/cant/dont wish to work same hard on all 3 games, imho.
Salem (and H&H too) are both compromised and the worst is both games are not aimed for mediocre gamer. You either bot/no-life/abuse or you die sooner or later to those who did - its permadeath baby and the stronger(no matter how) will survive ¦]
Actually like much more new gluttony and learning systems ... at least it slows down this madness a bit.

And to those who think that we should be able to get 100 biles in 1 week and 150 is never reachable is meh ... why mmo then ? It would conver Salem to pure pvp session game - go play MOBAs - 100 biles in 1h, plus pure pvp fun, plus 150 biles are not allowed and you will never get super-titans there.... rinse and repeat grind and pvp plus zero progression - thats what you are asking for :D
Hardsun

Postby AmmaBoss » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Convert the game back to Pre neft.
but the field also affect the crop example each time you harvest a field it gain 1 elemental point according to the highest element on the yield.
So now a noob won't be able to just buy high purity seeds.
Also it will force people into defending their village when it under waste claim instead of just alt vaulting all their **** and going to another bell.
Last edited by AmmaBoss on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmmaBoss

Postby Tamasin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:48 pm

AmmaBoss wrote:Convert the game back to Pre neft.
but the field also affect the crop example each time you harvest a field it gain .1 elemental point according to the highest element on the yield.
So now a noob won't be able to just buy high purity seeds.
Also it will force people into defending their village when it under waste claim instead of just alt vaulting all their **** and going to another bell.

i was thinking pretty much the same thing. use field purity to fix the problem of just buying seeds raised by others.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby NightBreed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Putting game back to the pre-wipe state would be a degradation.

Gluttony and Inspiration cool-downs made it playable for both 24/7 no-lifers, who want to farm and grind non-stop, and players with real life, who got work, friends, girlfriends, sports and other strange things.

If some people can't find anything to do between glutony sessions - it's just their lack of imagination. If some people don't make emergency alts in permadeath game - it's just thier lack of intelligence. If some people can't find another goal exept zerg rushing - it's still just their problem.
NightBreed

Postby Hardsun » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:19 pm

I wonder if we will ever see any more updates for Salem... or is everything thrown for Hafen 2 now ?
Also the fact they had witchcraft in game like half-year before first alpha and it still never was deployed to live servers sadden me - that system was intresting in theory :(
Hardsun

Postby Potjeh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

I asked Jorb and it's a solid maybe ¦]

Seriously, though, I think that small updates (new food recipes, new crops etc.) will happen when the inspiration strikes them (this is the worst part of dealing with artists), but I wouldn't hold my breath for any major new systems (like livestock, combat revamp, etc.) because it looks like Haven 2 is indeed the primary focus of their efforts.
Potjeh

Postby DarkNacht » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 pm

So when is Salem 2 being announced?
DarkNacht

Postby DemonEyes » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 pm

DarkNacht wrote:So when is Salem 2 being announced?

about 2 months after Hafen is released and updates stopped for that..
DemonEyes

Postby darnokpl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Potjeh wrote:I asked Jorb and it's a solid maybe ¦]

Seriously, though, I think that small updates (new food recipes, new crops etc.) will happen when the inspiration strikes them (this is the worst part of dealing with artists), but I wouldn't hold my breath for any major new systems (like livestock, combat revamp, etc.) because it looks like Haven 2 is indeed the primary focus of their efforts.

So, they are working on 3rd game in alpha/beta stage? How awesome.
darnokpl

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements