Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Postby Darwoth » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 am

i would just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of the first ten pages of this thread. please never disagree with me again as you always end up looking retarded afterwards.

Darwoth

Postby darnokpl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 am

I hope devs will read it.

In salem we need mechanic that would solve fear from permadeath and encourage PvP and raids (without completely destroying towns, just killing and stealing goods with greatest value should be enough to have fun and reward from raids).

I do agree that patch that made purity depends on worms and trees was stupid, but current gluttony and inspirational mechanic is better than before.

1. What if trees purity would jump faster? We would be able to get 100% faster.

2. Passive defences sucks, BB drain on claims is fine, but braziers are stupid and I am not talking about current dmg, but the entire brazier mechanic, you just can't find the right values to slow raiders long enough to give owner time to login and not doing devastating dmg that would kill raiding (like right now?).

Instead I would add system that allows you to raid only when town owners are online, so let town owners to pick when does raid begins.
It should make situations when PvP is key to everything, so having high biles, good armor and combat experience would be priority.
People should rethink into what invest their time in game to not get raided and killed.
While their towns and pclaim should be hard to wipe from buildings and farms like right now or even harder.

3. More dynamic character development should help... average time from 5 to 100 biles should be 1 week, at same time find a way to block titans above 150.
If timers on food would depends on your max biles it would be possible!
For 5 biles newbie food timers could be few times lower, but more biles he have timers should grow,
for example 5 biles character got 10 minutes timer on pumpkin pie, while 100 biles char 1 hour or even larger timer for same food.
People would stop doing tons of alts and would focus on one or two characters, because there would be a way to recover very fast, if you have developed town with lots of farms.

And since no updates for while it would be nice to have any info about future plans for salem?
darnokpl

Postby Binks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 am

Everything you quoted is dumb Darnok. They need to just go back to the old purity system with the gluttony system of last world. They need to go back to the old world size as well. The game is about confrontation. It's not where in the world is Carmen Sandiego. Things wrong with this world.

1. Map size is just to big. There is no reason for it to be this big with less than 100 people playing. I could understand if you had 10,000 people playing, but you don't nor will you ever. Soon you might have less than 20 people playing if you don't do anything.
2. Purity System is just broken. There was nothing wrong with the old purity system. Bring it back please.
3. Gluttony System is dumb. Don't throttle peoples progression with time go back to the old system there was nothing wrong with it. When you changed tier'd foods to matter it honestly got even better.
4. End game raiding is almost impossible in it's current state. This game is about full loot, perma-death, and PvP(please add log out timers, and remove waste claims). If it's not than please suggest a new game for me because that's what almost all of us are looking for.
5. I really like the inspirational system this world, but it still shouldn't throttle your progression like it does remove the inspiration cost and just let the black bile drain straight away.

cannibalkirby wrote:Map size seems fine to me, still haven't seen a shortage of players to raid, just requires you to actually try and look for people instead of walking in a line and finding a quarter of the pop ¦]

Please stop listening to people like this. He has no clue to what he's talking about. When all of your top players are screaming the world is to big. It's to big.

Seriously I love this game and I want to see it get bigger and better, but it's not going to happen if you continuously listen to people like Potjeh and Colesie instead of people like Darwoth and Chief.
Binks

Postby darnokpl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:08 am

Binks wrote:Everything you quoted is dumb Darnok. They need to just go back to the old purity system with the gluttony system of last world. They need to go back to the old world size as well. The game is about confrontation. It's not where in the world is Carmen Sandiego. Things wrong with this world.

1. Map size is just to big. There is no reason for it to be this big with less than 100 people playing. I could understand if you had 10,000 people playing, but you don't nor will you ever. Soon you might have less than 20 people playing if you don't do anything.

or simply give us horses.

Binks wrote:2. Purity System is just broken. There was nothing wrong with the old purity system. Bring it back please.

Agree with that.

Binks wrote:3. Gluttony System is dumb. Don't throttle peoples progression with time go back to the old system there was nothing wrong with it. When you changed tier'd foods to matter it honestly got even better.

Old system was promoting no-lifes and titans. To make PvP more common we need system that will help medicore players get biles to level when PvP is possible for example 100 biles (not by running, but fighting) and above that level progress should be very slow.

Binks wrote:4. End game raiding is almost impossible in it's current state. This game is about full loot, perma-death, and PvP(please add log out timers, and remove waste claims). If it's not than please suggest a new game for me because that's what almost all of us are looking for.

If on town bell will be set of hours when you can raid me no problem I don't need waste claims. Otherwise it will again promote no-lifes and fights between people from different time zones won't be possible.

Binks wrote:5. I really like the inspirational system this world, but it still shouldn't throttle your progression like it does remove the inspiration cost and just let the black bile drain straight away.

Current system is fine. I would just suggest to increase initial pool for newbies to 300-400k.
darnokpl

Postby Binks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:50 am

darnokpl wrote:or simply give us horses.

Horses are barely faster than Sprint. That is not the answer. You don't have a clue.

darnokpl wrote:Old system was promoting no-lifes and titans. To make PvP more common we need system that will help medicore players get biles to level when PvP is possible for example 100 biles (not by running, but fighting) and above that level progress should be very slow.

No. You are wrong. What made titans possible was waste claims. Again you don't know what you are talking about. Because of waste claims it made people invincible. It had nothing to do with the old gluttony system. Also when people do die they have little to no chance to ever catch back up and that's another problem with this gluttony system.

I also think if someone does no-life this game they should be given that edge. ***** you casual **** heads. If you don't wanna put the time into something to be good go play a facebook game.

darnokpl wrote:If on town bell will be set of hours when you can raid me no problem I don't need waste claims. Otherwise it will again promote no-lifes and fights between people from different time zones won't be possible.

This game promotes no-lifers. It's a full loot pvp game. A waste claim mechanic is just dumb. If different time zones are an issue for you ask for Jorb and Loftar to make servers for different time zones.

darnokpl wrote:Current system is fine. I would just suggest to increase initial pool for newbies to 300-400k.

Again throttling peoples time in game promotes people to just log out as soon as they are on that timer. After I glutton I log out unless I have something Raid wise to do with the tribe. I have food saved up for months of gluttony. This game feels like eve. It's an afk game now.
Binks

Postby darnokpl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Binks wrote:
darnokpl wrote:or simply give us horses.

Horses are barely faster than Sprint. That is not the answer. You don't have a clue.

Then add skill that would let us ride faster. I like large map.

Binks wrote:
darnokpl wrote:Old system was promoting no-lifes and titans. To make PvP more common we need system that will help medicore players get biles to level when PvP is possible for example 100 biles (not by running, but fighting) and above that level progress should be very slow.

No. You are wrong. What made titans possible was waste claims. Again you don't know what you are talking about. Because of waste claims it made people invincible. It had nothing to do with the old gluttony system. Also when people do die they have little to no chance to ever catch back up and that's another problem with this gluttony system.

Before waste claims there was summon-kill fest at 4am and that was stupid.

Waste claims are broken because they let criminals to jump between towns and because they don't protect they only give a warning message "you will be raided at 4am".

Idea behind waste claims to force both sides raiders and defenders to PvP is great, but as long as defenders can't pick hours when raid will begin it won't work.

As for permadeath I wrote that we should be able to level up faster to some value where PvP and raids would be fun and possible. And no-lifes if they would want to go further that should be also possible, but very slow. You would have a choice make 2 more combat alts or push one character to higher biles, having 20% more biles than others would make advantage in PvP, but not devastating like between 200 and 500 biles from old gluttony times.

Binks wrote:I also think if someone does no-life this game they should be given that edge. ***** you casual **** heads. If you don't wanna put the time into something to be good go play a facebook game.

So you would enjoy game with 10-20 people?

Binks wrote:
darnokpl wrote:If on town bell will be set of hours when you can raid me no problem I don't need waste claims. Otherwise it will again promote no-lifes and fights between people from different time zones won't be possible.

This game promotes no-lifers. It's a full loot pvp game. A waste claim mechanic is just dumb. If different time zones are an issue for you ask for Jorb and Loftar to make servers for different time zones.

This game promotes no-lifes because it has poor design. Full loot pvp game with permadeath should PROMOTE COMMUNITIES towns/villages/alliances made by players, not like it is now when other players are problems not additional pair of hands to help you grow.
darnokpl

Postby Binks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 pm

You're the European version of Claeyt.
Binks

Postby darnokpl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Binks wrote:You're the European version of Claeyt.

No, he is poor imitation of me :)
darnokpl

Postby Binks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:55 pm

darnokpl wrote:
Binks wrote:You're the European version of Claeyt.

No, he is poor imitation of me :)

that's worse
Binks

Postby Whiskybob » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Only thing that bugs me is lack of any updates. This game used to get an update every month or every two weeks even. Now its just stale.
Whiskybob

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements