Upcoming server transfer

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Upcoming server transfer

Postby Tamasin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:49 pm

I think i've gotten a little lost as to what the point of all that was even supposed to be
Tamasin
Customer

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 pm

short version:
1. while it's not that hard to match "titan" and become a threat for a character, you still have to take into account that player who have spent more time in game will have more combat alts and more infrastructure
2. wipe can bring equal opportunity to all parties willing to fight for dominance
3. wipe will not change much for other players
Procne

Postby Tamasin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Procne wrote:short version:
1. while it's not that hard to match "titan" and become a threat for a character, you still have to take into account that player who have spent more time in game will have more combat alts and more infrastructure
2. wipe can bring equal opportunity to all parties willing to fight for dominance
3. wipe will not change much for other players

Ok, no. They do not necessarily have more combat alts and infrastructure.

I'm not saying a wipe wouldn't be fun and all, but there will always be new players joining the game and wanting to become competitive, and older players who have already built their characters and infrastructure up. So what then? We have regular wipes? No thankyou.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Dunno what then. Guess it depends if Salem can work like EVE where world is never reset. Or it can work like Travian where you have several worlds, which are periodically reset and in each you fight to achieve some goal. Time will tell.

HnH, for example, has been wiped quite regularly (due to server crashes, not planned). No world lasted longer 2 years if I'm correct. With the longest one being almost unplayable due to lag for half of its duration?
Procne

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Either regular resets or stat decay on alts to limit their numbers. Pick your poison, both suck.
Potjeh

Postby Icon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Tamasin wrote:I think i've gotten a little lost as to what the point of all that was even supposed to be

The point to this was about transferring servers to a new host. Everything after page 1 turned into the QQ derail thread 2014 :mrgreen:
Icon

Postby Frakked » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Tamasin wrote:I'm not saying a wipe wouldn't be fun and all, but there will always be new players joining the game and wanting to become competitive, and older players who have already built their characters and infrastructure up. So what then? We have regular wipes? No thankyou.

I think perhaps the suggestion is that the folks who are 'on top' have been there too long; and the only way newcomers can compete for similar status is with a new map. I'm not saying wipe existing accomplishments... let them rule where they have built...

Since game mechanics are changing- how often does this happen? I think a fresh map isn't too much to ask.

What happened last time the mechanics substantially changed? I hear/read about the big purity nerf... and 'lots' of folks bailed on the game. Maybe it would have been different if they'd created a new server then.

On a different tack- anyone notice you can't create screenshots anymore? Hoping this is just a temporary byproduct of the server migration?
Frakked

Postby Kandarim » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Frakked wrote:
On a different tack- anyone notice you can't create screenshots anymore? Hoping this is just a temporary byproduct of the server migration?

It might be - i'll take a look if i can remember tonight
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby RobertoKarlos » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm

I wonder why so many people miss the real fact about why salem needs a wipe, the only and sole reason why there needs to be a wipe, ais no legacy *****, no titans , is because he have 3 servers with less than 40people in each.

There is a reason for needing 3 servers? There is at least one valid argument to sustain the 3 currents ones instead of just one server?

And i guess the only reason why the wipe hammer is not here yet is due lack of content in the game, when this is fix i dont see other exit to try bring life back to salem besides a full wipe and just a only new fresh server.
RobertoKarlos

Postby deutch » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:05 pm

all on a single server! ¦]
God will judge!(Priest)
deutch

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements