Forum upgrade

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Forum upgrade

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:58 am

Where's the new forum sarcasm content update we've all been waiting for? It's really hurting forum longevity.
Michael

Postby alloin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:40 am

best update so far ! ¦]
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby jwhitehorn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:16 am

Thank you greater spirit for your continued efforts.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby Chiprel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:19 am

loftar wrote:Dear all,

The forums are now running phpBB 3.0.12. Please report in this thread if you notice any problems with them that may pertain to this upgrade.

After forum update whenever I hit f5(on firefox) I see forum like this(pic in spoiler) for around 0.3sec. Sometimes when forum is less responsive it can take up to almost 1 sec. Nothing terrible but slightly annoying. Never saw that happening with old php.

edit: Forum behaves normally when I click on any forum link/change subforum/enter topic. It's just like this when I refresh page I'm on.
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 am

Chiprel wrote:After forum update whenever I hit f5(on firefox) I see forum like this(pic in spoiler) for around 0.3sec. Sometimes when forum is less responsive it can take up to almost 1 sec. Nothing terrible but slightly annoying. Never saw that happening with old php.

I'm getting this on a lot of different sites with the latest version of Firefox. They did something in the code so the site is displaying before the style sheet is loaded completely.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Chiprel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:39 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Chiprel wrote:After forum update whenever I hit f5(on firefox) I see forum like this(pic in spoiler) for around 0.3sec. Sometimes when forum is less responsive it can take up to almost 1 sec. Nothing terrible but slightly annoying. Never saw that happening with old php.

I'm getting this on a lot of different sites with the latest version of Firefox. They did something in the code so the site is displaying before the style sheet is loaded completely.

False alarm then. Thanks for clarification. Seems that I have yet another reason to change my web browser. Still it'll be hard decision after spending so many years together =)
Chiprel

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:39 am

Wait, you mean that's not how websites are supposed to load?
TeckXKnight

Postby Chiprel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 am

TeckXKnight wrote:Wait, you mean that's not how websites are supposed to load?

Yes and no.
They are supposed to load like that for the first time. After that most of the stuff is cached till it expires or you clear the cache. Works both for graphics, page formatting and lots of other stuff (even this message that i'm just writing will be cached(and retrievable) for around 15-30mins by default). If you are on firefox try typing as web adress: about:cache

I cleared my cache and only entered 3 pages(main,announcement and 2nd page of this topic). Already 56 objects in cache.

3 random cached items and their expire time:

Normal site refreshing isn't getting rid of site cache. So for example if loftar would change forum graphics/design I would have to clear my cache to see all new stuff.

You could get scared if you knew what info you can find in your cache =)
Chiprel

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:23 am

Chiprel wrote:You could get scared if you knew what info you can find in your cache =)

Or cookies.... (suppose that's part of the cache, though).

I like Chrome, but it doesn't perform as well on any system I've tried it on, and, much like Microsoft, I don't trust Google. They've gotten too big for their britches. (That and complying with Justice Dept requests without warrants. I won't even mention the NSA and their illegal wiretapping and hacking.)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Announcements