Game Development: Every Little... + Development Thoughts

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Every Little... + Development Thoughts

Postby xweetok59 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:26 pm

So far I've had my base raided twice, and I have never left any scent ever in Salem.
xweetok59

Postby alloin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:35 pm

xweetok59 wrote:So far I've had my base raided twice, and I have never left any scent ever in Salem.

If this is on Roanoke, your raider would be dealt with and you would never be raided again...
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:10 pm

alloin wrote:So, scents are completely useless, people can protect themself with a bell & a stick fence...
Why would the defender not just do the same ?

Because you can't move fields, houses and other infrastructure to a different stick fence if somebody drops a waste claim.
alloin wrote:(if you think you got raided without reason and you live on Roanoke, we can help you)

I would like to file a report against Candy Gang, please. Not that any of this is relevant anyhow. It would be a lot better if you'd just engage in an honest discussion rather than use this as an opportunity for political campaigning.
Potjeh

Postby alloin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Potjeh wrote:
alloin wrote:So, scents are completely useless, people can protect themself with a bell & a stick fence...
Why would the defender not just do the same ?

Because you can't move fields, houses and other infrastructure to a different stick fence if somebody drops a waste claim.

ANY criminal/raider leaving scents leading to his main production base DESERVES to be killed, all i have to say :D
(all mods deserve to die ingame aswell!)

A HV doesn't need fields, houses & other infrastructures !!!

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Claeyt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:21 pm

xweetok59 wrote:That is true, but once a raider destroys your base and steals everything good you have, you will have to start over all again. If the raider does something wrong, and ends up getting killed for example, he'll just get another 300 humor char up in no time with all the items he stole from you.

That means that if you really want to play this game right, you necessarily have to be a complete ass and kill/raid people.

Not exactly true.

Although raiders do have a quick fix solution, nobodies built a 300 level character just from raiding. Once you have the stuff in place (fields, smelters, structures) it's much easier to level up a player than just by raiding. You get a quick one off by raiding but no real sustained growth, most of these large groups don't care about your base really, they have much better food and stuff, and they know you have all your snake skulls alt vaulted. They're after people who are equal or better than them in quality food, or their after justice/revenge/political actions. They can usually take one look at your base and see the quality potential of raiding.

I've never seen anybody level a base who was just raiding. It's about politics/justice/revenge if they do that. Most raiders go off the "harvesting" method of raiding you, and taking your stuff when your offline, then waiting a month or two and checking out your base again. They'll leave the structures so that you build more stuff for them to steal.

Mid-level raiders are another thing. They may raid just to look through your stuff, but they generally won't level the base. You may lose a weeks worth of food and a chest of inspi's but you'll learn a lesson and build better defenses hopefully. It is part of the game so be prepared for it and it won't seems so bad.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 pm

alloin wrote:A HV doesn't need fields, houses & other infrastructures !!!

Precisely. And this is a major balance problem, because raiders can pretend to be peaceaful farmers in their production centre, and run several criminal characters in vaults that are completely untracable to the source of those characters. The only reason this isn't a big problem right now is the low population.
Potjeh

Postby Procne » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:25 pm

I think this is the source of many problems:
alloin wrote:Everyone ***** about raiding/getting raided never raided properly in my opinion
L2PLAY and you'll ***** waaaay less !!!

To learn to protect yourself from random raiders you need to know the mechanics from raider's point of view. And game does not teach this in any way. The only way new players get this knowledge is when they get raided, or if they read forum.

Most new players will get raided, lose everything they have, often including their char, and how many will try again? How many will come to forum to complain? How many will care how hard is to raid when they lost most of their progress in the matter of minutes?
Procne

Postby alloin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:24 am

Procne wrote:I think this is the source of many problems:
alloin wrote:Everyone ***** about raiding/getting raided never raided properly in my opinion

To learn to protect yourself from random raiders you need to know the mechanics from raider's point of view. And game does not teach this in any way. The only way new players get this knowledge is when they get raided, or if they read forum.

Most new players will get raided, lose everything they have, often including their char, and how many will try again? How many will come to forum to complain? How many will care how hard is to raid when they lost most of their progress in the matter of minutes?

1 wall, 20 braziers, make that 40-100 braziers and 0.01% will raid you,

should be some ingame pointer to that maybe

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Procne » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 am

alloin wrote:
Procne wrote:I think this is the source of many problems:

1 wall, 20 braziers, make that 40-100 braziers and 0.01% will raid you,

should be some ingame pointer to that maybe

More. There should be some tutorials explaining criminal acts and debuff, summoning and brazier mechanics.
Procne

Postby Thor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Potjeh wrote:I think you're missing his point Teck, the problem is that raiders don't lose their bases. And scents are completely useless here, why would anyone let people track him to his production facility when a town bell and a stick fence are just as good at protecting from summoning?

Wait wait wait..
So you can't summon kill if one has a town bell?
I haven't ever made one..
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements