Game Development: Every Little... + Development Thoughts

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Every Little... + Development Thoughts

Postby Glennfinnan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Toorimakun wrote:these guys have been inactive since the farming nerf... so i doubt they did any thing. >.<

Perhaps they just didn't pay their taxes?
For some people out there that is enough of a reason. :lol:
Glennfinnan

Postby jwhitehorn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Glennfinnan wrote:Perhaps they just didn't pay their taxes?
:lol:

Very True.... If they were leaching off the political system of their server without making any contributions to the safety of their lands then did they deserve to bask in that stolen safety? This very well could have been the reason for their demise and if so then they deserved it.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby Claeyt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:40 pm

martinuzz wrote:As a farmer, I must say that I do not agree that the new tier farming is less fun.
Sure, it's a lot of work to set it up, but then again that only depends on how many fields you want to push at the same time.
Once it's done though, it's so very rewarding. And it takes little effort to maintain once it's up.
By now, I've tiered 48 fields completely, and have run a few nice tier 3 harvests already.

I think farming is more fun now, there's more variation, with more incentive to plant different tiers of crops.

That aside, purity is ***** up, and most recipes need an overhaul, especially those that do not benefit from the tier update.

I think martinuzz is right and probably the most knowledgeable about farming of maybe anyone in the game now. My main problem with the purity nerf was that it prevented us from being able to catch the high end players, or for someone totally new to ever get there. I think they've done a lot to fix those worries, I've posted that you can get there, it might be a little harder to get purity stuff to glutton specifically, but tiered fields are easier to get than purity so it's a trade off. I'm satisfied. There's a wheat/red cabbage Windypooh for sale in a stall in Roanoke for 80s (I think) right now with something like only 20% purity that gives you a 400 glutton bump in phlegm. Is that overpowered, probably, but it's also interesting for new people to aim for and possibly slightly harder for high end players to get than previous high end food.

They're working on gluttony tho, there are great threads about it elsewhere.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Toorimakun » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:32 am

Claeyt wrote:I think martinuzz is right and probably the most knowledgeable about farming of maybe anyone in the game now.

yah he has been farming and cooking like a mad man trying to figure out what the best foods are.
i have been helping out some other villages for the past month or so but am up at his village now to help him out... maybe he will help me get a combat ult up. Mah ha ha ha
:)
lol, most likely it will be a wandering char tho... i enjoy helping out the friendly villages but mostly love to wander around collecting snake skulls. :)
really hope they add some other rare loot you can find while wandering.
RIP: Purity, you will be missed.
Toorimakun

Postby xweetok59 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 am

TeckXKnight wrote:
xweetok59 wrote:Yeah, it takes 2 months to get, and 2 minutes for someone to destroy it.

Just as it took you 2 months to make it, it took those raiders quite a bit of development and time investment too.

That is true, but once a raider destroys your base and steals everything good you have, you will have to start over all again. If the raider does something wrong, and ends up getting killed for example, he'll just get another 300 humor char up in no time with all the items he stole from you.

That means that if you really want to play this game right, you necessarily have to be a complete ass and kill/raid people.
xweetok59

Postby Dallane » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:33 pm

xweetok59 wrote:That means that if you really want to play this game right, you necessarily have to be a complete ass and kill/raid people.

Well that IS the point of the game.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TeckXKnight » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:47 pm

xweetok59 wrote:That is true, but once a raider destroys your base and steals everything good you have, you will have to start over all again. If the raider does something wrong, and ends up getting killed for example, he'll just get another 300 humor char up in no time with all the items he stole from you.

That means that if you really want to play this game right, you necessarily have to be a complete ass and kill/raid people.

That's a huge leap in logic there. Moving outside of hypothetical situations for a moment, a raider is going to die if someone wants them dead. They are easy to kill once they've left scents and even the act of leaving scents is expensive (braziers dropping stats) and can be fatal. They are much more likely to die than you are and probably many more times than you will.

I know a lot of people have always assumed that the goliaths in Salem are immortal but they bleed and die just like everyone else and there have been many a back and forth between raiders and those that would oppose them. What allows them to survive after that is rarely that they are subsisting entirely off of whatever they stole from you; realistically you packed up everything that you had when you saw the waste claim set and moved it onto storage alts. Even if you didn't, the foods that you had wouldn't get them very far back to what they had pre-death. In truth they are farming up and buying the humor foods that build their characters again. So what makes them the second time is the same thing that made them the first time.

I won't go so far as to say that your claims on the raiding system needing substantial work are wrong, but your logic and reasoning are.
TeckXKnight

Postby Droj » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Dallane wrote:
xweetok59 wrote:That means that if you really want to play this game right, you necessarily have to be a complete ass and kill/raid people.

Well that IS the point of the game.

to make friends or die trying, literally.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 pm

I think you're missing his point Teck, the problem is that raiders don't lose their bases. And scents are completely useless here, why would anyone let people track him to his production facility when a town bell and a stick fence are just as good at protecting from summoning?
Potjeh

Postby alloin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Potjeh wrote:I think you're missing his point Teck, the problem is that raiders don't lose their bases. And scents are completely useless here, why would anyone let people track him to his production facility when a town bell and a stick fence are just as good at protecting from summoning?

So, scents are completely useless, people can protect themself with a bell & a stick fence...
Why would the defender not just do the same ?

Everyone ***** about raiding/getting raided never raided properly in my opinion (and probably only had 1 main base, where scents lead to, with less then 10 braziers) ;)
(if you think you got raided without reason and you live on Roanoke, we can help you)

L2PLAY and you'll ***** waaaay less !!!
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements