Salem - Future

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem - Future

Postby Bittereinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm up with Claeyt.

What will be the development plan?

1) Small updates as before
2) A bigger content update every months, 2 months, 3 months...?

I hope you guys will post development blogs from time to time. This will inform the community better on the path you want to walk and gives the impression the game is still alive. Don't go with the what-the-hell-is-this-your-priority nobody understands why updates.

Will there be a server wipe (for all servers, going back to 1 server instead of 3)? When? Never? Now, next month, together with a big content update (witchcraft...)?

IMO you guys communicate really badly.
Last edited by Bittereinder on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bittereinder

Postby Procne » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Claeyt, I don't think they have decided yet what exactly will happen. Maybe not much, considering Paradox will still host the servers.
As for Salem becoming like HnH - I don't think that's a good idea. Jorb has said they plan to support both games, so making them the same has no point.
Procne

Postby Darwoth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 pm

should make gluttoning in salem based off of FEPs like HH then make characters able to travel between haven and salem when/if they put in server travel, just have the stats/skills convert to their rough equivalents in the other game that way fans of their respective games can take the board warrioring into the game :lol: :lol:
Darwoth

Postby Claeyt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Procne wrote:Claeyt, I don't think they have decided yet what exactly will happen. Maybe not much, considering Paradox will still host the servers.
As for Salem becoming like HnH - I don't think that's a good idea. Jorb has said they plan to support both games, so making them the same has no point.

Not making them the same, just making Salem a better HnH in 3D would be nice. Salem is so much more than HnH in some ways but also less.

I'm hoping they don't have a timetable now. I don't care if it's months between updates as long as there are updates. Now that it's all Seatribe let them take their time. Get the HnH people here. I don't know how much they make off their donate button on HnH, but it can't be more than Salem. And the server Bandwidth for Salem is prob cheaper than HnH right now with the pop so low.

Make Salem yours guys, we don't care if it takes awhile between updates, but make it better and make it yours. And please, please don't wipe. You'd lose the players that have stuck with it if you do.

Hell rename Salem to HnH W8 that alone would get some of the 2D cult members over here. :lol:

As for Paradox, ***** you guys. 3 months in open Beta and you drop them. Screw that. You guys did no advertising and were **** for help in promotion. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Paradox is the bargain bin of gaming companies." I'll tell every developer I know to skip Paradox's joke Publishing biz.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Scilly_guy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm

I would've thought it was obvious, two Salem servers, one thats wiped on 1st jan every year and one that is never wiped.

Looking forward to Jorbs announcement.
Scilly_guy

Postby Darwoth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:28 pm

yeah, in addition to their normal servers shadowbane had an "accelerated" server that was wiped every 4 months or so for the "new start" junkies.

granted letting all of us that are currently pissing in the wind and dont have the inclination to start over copy over to the permanent server in the event of a wipe would go a long way toward retaining players, would be a lot less painful starting over if one just had to spend 1000 years rebuilding wealth/infrastructure/bases instead of the 2000 years it would take when adding character development.
Darwoth

Postby Claeyt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:40 pm

They wipe, they lose the last 200 people still playing. It's as simple as that.

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Potjeh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm

I think the best course, now that pressure on putting out new content is down a bit, would be to polish out the existing content, as a lot of it feels unfinished. Primarily intra-town security, ie make town claim take precedence over private claim for brazier action, so that you can prevent infiltrators from doing heavy-duty sabotage with clever use of personal claims and permissions on them. IMO the main downfall of Salem has been excessive paranoia, which prevents integration of newcomers into a wider game society.
Potjeh

Postby Yourgrandmother » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Yourgrandmother

Postby Claeyt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Potjeh wrote:the main downfall of Salem has been excessive paranoia, which prevents integration of newcomers into a wider game society.

I don't know if that's the main downfall, but it is such a huge learning curve it didn't help.

As the person who has maybe helped the most noobs on Roanoke I see people build and build then join or quit. What they need to get done first is what they like to do. Screw dev timetables and such. Just make the game you want, check out other indi publishing and promotion firms. That's what needs to be done first.

Claeyt

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements