Wish you were here

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Wish you were here

Postby Champie » Thu May 23, 2013 5:04 am

colesie wrote:I don't think they'll be running out anytime soon. Avu filled their tanks several times over since they started up in 2009.

I didn't say they would run out. The difference is significant.
Champie

Postby Tamasin » Thu May 23, 2013 5:20 am

I want to inject my super super valuable opinion here too!

and first i'd like to say, i've only been playing a couple of months or so, but this is definitely my most favouritest game ever! for a long time i dreamed of playing a game just like salem. H&H sounds great too, but i never tried it due to my admittedly shallow inability to tolerate graphics like that.

i definitely think that this game has flaws, but even with them it is still fantastic. i don't care that i will never be able to catch up to the super high humoured players. the only thing about food and humour getting i particularly care about being improved is the unpleasantness of the purity grinding process and how low the maximum crop purity i could reasonably get is. I'm not saying i think it needs to be changed back so people can get 100% purity again, just significantly increased. i think it would be great if purity could still be built up with time, effort and resources, but be more fun than massive amounts of time spent searching for high purity water and granite and such. i think it should get harder to increase purity after you already have a fair bit.

i absolutely love how eating better foods and a variety of foods is important and i'm sure those things will never change. i think the devs are visionary geniuses and they'll figure everything out just fine.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby dageir » Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 am

Allright. This is way better than willy-nilly updates that have come of late. (Except the purity nerf, that was needed.)
What I think the devs should do is to take a long look at the game and decide what they want the game to be in the end or the near end. (They probably have already.)
Dont do any updates that do not adress obvious bugs or exploits. The gluttony/purity/humour system is just fine as it is. (As far as I know.) What needs to be done if you want to keep the server as they are is to do something about the overpowered guys that has fed on 100% pumpkin and cabbage since week two of the current servers. Its just not sustainable. And make it impossible to get over lets say 20% purity or something, making it extremely hard to take off like some of the peeps have done. There are rumours about a 1400 bile character running around! Or: Make the game as you want it. Wipe, and start anew. Or remove all humours above 100 (for example), but keep proficiencies.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 am

The goal should not be to impliment systems to allow others to catch up to the monsters of this game. In my opinion, this game would benefit from making characters More disposable. Lower the top end of the humour system to the 200s so that the toughest toons only hit for around 30s. Then any group of midrange playerz could be trouble for anyone. As it stands the high end toons can one shot KO almost anyone. Pvp is nonexistant. Honestly, i love some aspects of this game, but as it stands, this game is stagnant. There is nothing to do, and with the super powerful prepurity patched toons taking advantage of high purity flour + high purity veggies + tier 3 goods, out there collecting scents, this game has become farmville. Snore...
tweenprinc3ss

Postby dageir » Thu May 23, 2013 6:09 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:The goal should not be to impliment systems to allow others to catch up to the monsters of this game. In my opinion, this game would benefit from making characters More disposable. Lower the top end of the humour system to the 200s so that the toughest toons only hit for around 30s. Then any group of midrange playerz could be trouble for anyone. As it stands the high end toons can one shot KO almost anyone. Pvp is nonexistant. Honestly, i love some aspects of this game, but as it stands, this game is stagnant. There is nothing to do, and with the super powerful prepurity patched toons taking advantage of high purity flour + high purity veggies + tier 3 goods, out there collecting scents, this game has become farmville. Snore...

Agreed. Make strategy and cooperation the focus of PvP, not how many hours you have eaten pumpkin.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby KitKat » Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:this game would benefit from making characters More disposable.

this ^

but wipe the servers first.
KitKat

Postby T0ne » Thu May 23, 2013 6:26 am

I was thinking today how a server where time was distorted (sped up) could be really fun and promote more action while also being great for testing. It would require some form of caps to be put in place, but if things that used to take days took hours and things that took weeks took days, losing a character or even a base would still be painful, but not so painful as to turn players away from the game completely.
T0ne

Postby Jalpha » Thu May 23, 2013 6:57 am

I... Respectfully disagree. I think it should be possible to make monstrous characters but I think the effort involved in creating them should be greater than it was with the old purity system. The situation we are currently experiencing is, in my opinion, an example of how a server would end up later in its life, most players have left, leaving a powerful group with a stranglehold. That's fine. The real question, and what I think people should focus on instead of constantly complaining is... Can you catch up?

Everyone seems convinced you can't, that these overpowered old relic characters cannot be taken down. I am not convinced this is the case. Everyone seems so blinded by how easy things used to be. A wipe would certainly see a lot of players return, particularly if it came with a few vital changes, but then we will never have tested the functions of a server so late in its life.

I don't think it should be a level playing field. I do however think it should be easier for groups of players of a like mind to band together. I also think there should be a place for the both the players who are hardcore and those who play for fun. Additionally I am of the mind that there should be greater incentives for established and powerful groups to fight each other, and actually engage in PvP, instead of rolling noob settlements for rabbit skins and tumbleweed.
Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby KitKat » Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 am

Jalpha wrote:Everyone seems convinced you can't, that these overpowered old relic characters cannot be taken down. I am not convinced this is the case. Everyone seems so blinded by how easy things used to be. A wipe would certainly see a lot of players return, particularly if it came with a few vital changes, but then we will never have tested the functions of a server so late in its life.

I personally think it is possible to catch up some what, but the relic characters are always going to have an advantage (just the same if there wasn't a purity nerf) It's just much harder to obtain. I how ever think they should wipe all three servers and just make 1 server. It would bring people back to the game and the server wouldn't be as dead as the three servers are currently. There's less than 50 people on at all times and that's not counting people playing multiple characters at the same time. It would be really nice if the tiny community that we are was concentrated on one server instead of being spread out on three.
KitKat

Postby Snowpig » Thu May 23, 2013 7:32 am

I will not list in detail which parts of the game you need to improve/change/fix/throw out, because at least one of the points will interfere with the opinion of other forum members and will not help you anyway.

While trying to set up a plan, on what to do and how, do not forget to answer following questions for yourself:

1. Who will be the main target audience? (hardcore players vs. casual players or something in between)
2. What is the expected timeline a player would need to achieve certain goals? (minutes, days, years, centuries, never)

As soon you have some definite answers on these two questions get some feedback on them and then subordinate all the detailed questions about game mechanics to these answers.
In feudalism, it's your count that votes...
Snowpig

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements