Wish you were here

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Wish you were here

Postby jorb » Thu May 23, 2013 1:55 am

Hi.

For the past few weeks we have attempted to keep a somewhat forced pace of development, and we've found the effects of that to be detrimental not only to the more long-term development of the game, but also to our own sense of purpose. We feel that we've picked a fair amount of low-hanging fruit among our development and update priorities, and that the impact of the updates has thus perhaps been lesser than is actually desirable, in that many updates have felt like fine-tuning and adjustments of what is already in place, rather than steps along the way toward some meaningful goal.

For this reason we have decided to redirect some of our efforts to contemplate more fundamental aspects of some of the core systems of the game (Gluttony, among others), and how they pertain to the future evolution of the same. That is not necessarily to say that we'll redesign the game in a fundamental way, but rather that we need to find out where we stand and whither we want to go.

This is not to say that we do not aim to try to provide you with the frequent updates we know you love to hate (and we still aim to provide the previously mentioned land leveling tool to the extent that our creative energies are not primarily used on meditation), but merely that...

... we wish you were here. There'll be an update soon y'all.

<3

EDIT: We'll also try to add the alchemy pack. It's actually in the game already, and we just need to tell Paradox to add it to the store.
jorb

Re: Wish you were here

Postby jrsydevil » Thu May 23, 2013 2:06 am

In 1st.. Not sure what they're saying here... but I at least was the first not to know...
"It's too bad she won't live... but then again.. who does?" -Gaff

Lady Astor: "Sir... if you were my husband, I would put poison in your coffee!"
Winston Churchill: "Nancy... If you were my wife.. I would drink it..."
jrsydevil

Postby Viackura » Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 am

wait what
i didn't understand either but changes are good most of the time
Viackura

Postby Darwoth » Thu May 23, 2013 2:16 am

a lot of gluttony issues with regards to purity and balancing etc could be resolved by simply eliminating the variance timer and making it more like HH gluttony, this would allow anyone to catch up to high humor levels just at an increased amount of time spent making/eating lower purity food.
Darwoth

Postby Sidran » Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 am

Calling Interpol ATM

<3
Sidran

Postby jrsydevil » Thu May 23, 2013 2:24 am

Ok.. I think I figured it out....

jorb wrote:Hi.

For the past few weeks we have attempted to keep a somewhat forced pace of development, and we've found the effects of that to be detrimental not only to the more long-term development of the game, but also to our own sense of purpose. We feel that we've picked a fair amount of low-hanging fruit among our development and update priorities, and that the impact of the updates has thus perhaps been lesser than is actually desirable, in that many updates have felt like fine-tuning and adjustments of what is already in place, rather than steps along the way toward some meaningful goal.

For this reason we have decided to redirect some of our efforts to contemplate more fundamental aspects of some of the core systems of the game (Gluttony, among others), and how they pertain to the future evolution of the same. That is not necessarily to say that we'll redesign the game in a fundamental way, but rather that we need to find out where we stand and whither we want to go.

This is not to say that we do not aim to try to provide you with the frequent updates we know you love to hate (and we still aim to provide the previously mentioned land leveling tool to the extent that our creative energies are not primarily used on meditation), but merely that...

... we wish you were here. There'll be an update soon y'all.

<3

EDIT: We'll also try to add the alchemy pack. It's actually in the game already, and we just need to tell Paradox to add it to the store.

TRANSLATION:

"Are we ***** this up. Dude?"
"It's too bad she won't live... but then again.. who does?" -Gaff

Lady Astor: "Sir... if you were my husband, I would put poison in your coffee!"
Winston Churchill: "Nancy... If you were my wife.. I would drink it..."
jrsydevil

Postby T0ne » Thu May 23, 2013 2:24 am

Expand your team.

Add a few new devs to replace the bulk of the work you do now.

Hire a product/project/community manager.

Start taking a less hands on role (in terms of coding), but...work closely with your new team to make sure Salem stays true to your vision. Create a development pipeline, maintain it, make sure its what you guys want to avoid situations like the one you seem to be having with gluttony. Use it as a basis to set expectations for the community. No more of this " we are considering this" or " see this soon", set clear timelines and milestones while making sure they are adhered to.

The game has a lot of potential, but this could be that pivotal moment where the final outcome is decided. More people, more ideas, better ideas, more content and likely a better game.
Last edited by T0ne on Thu May 23, 2013 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
T0ne

Postby staxjax » Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 am

Personally, I liked all the random **** in no particular order.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby staxjax » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 am

ps. who the ***** wears sweaters and flannel on a tropical island.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby KitKat » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 am

jorb wrote:Hi.

KitKat

Next

Return to Announcements