Wish you were here

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Wish you were here

Postby jorb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 am

Darwoth wrote:they stated in this very post they were taking a break so they could more clearly think of what to do next, tooling around in their original game for a while is probably a way for them to go back to their roots and inspire new ideas.

Kind of this. We'll be back before long. :)
jorb

Postby Mereni » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:33 am

Darwoth wrote:they stated in this very post they were taking a break so they could more clearly think of what to do next, tooling around in their original game for a while is probably a way for them to go back to their roots and inspire new ideas.

Tooling around in their current game would work even better. I do wonder why they never have played Salem in a major way. Seems Jorb had a little hermit base, but that's not near the full experience of the game. It's sad how broken Salem is and how clueless they are about that. 'Taking a break and thinking about it' isn't going to get them anywhere. They don't even talk to the people who do play. :(
Mereni

Postby Spazzmaticus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:50 am

Mereni wrote:Tooling around in their current game would work even better. I do wonder why they never have played Salem in a major way. Seems Jorb had a little hermit base, but that's not near the full experience of the game. It's sad how broken Salem is and how clueless they are about that. 'Taking a break and thinking about it' isn't going to get them anywhere. They don't even talk to the people who do play. :(

I'm not quite sure where you'd get the impression that they are "clueless" about the problems in this game. The fact that they don't play Salem as much is a testament to their acute awareness of the issues it has. Understanding what made HnH so great is crucial to the development of Salem.

As for "thinking about it" not helping? A anthropomorphic duck once said "thinking before you talk is like wiping your ass before you take a ****". When you're developing a game like this you can't know where you're going if you don't know where you're from. I'd rather see more substantial and thoughtful changes than the "low hanging fruit" changes we've had in the past.
Spazzmaticus

Postby Yourgrandmother » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:05 am

- Introduce major game changing mechanic
- Release 3 useless updates that don't address the changes
- Go MIA for 2 weeks
- Population drops by 75% in the span of the month
- Release a server reset on your old game
- Play your old game and abandon Salem

That about wraps it up
Yourgrandmother

Postby Dallane » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:16 am

Mereni wrote:

Tooling around in their current game would work even better. I do wonder why they never have played Salem in a major way. Seems Jorb had a little hermit base, but that's not near the full experience of the game. It's sad how broken Salem is and how clueless they are about that. 'Taking a break and thinking about it' isn't going to get them anywhere. They don't even talk to the people who do play. :(

Maybe because you guys would be hunting them constantly to grief them. Kinda like how you actually did.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby rustles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:24 am

I think it's pretty clear that the only way the devs will ever fix this game is if they made an account, played the game, and seen it from the perspective of the player.

Not just a couple of hours here and there, but actually build a town from scratch, starting from zero, with no god mode dev powers(if they have those, some games do)

There is really no further progress in this game, nothing else to do. You build a base, learn all of the skills, do some repetitive and tedious manual labor that does not progress your player in any way, get bored of it, and then stop playing.

The only thing you can do is increase field tier, eat food, and grind out iron bars for more blazers.

I'm bored of this game, I only ever go on to feed turkeys and pay upkeep.
rustles

Postby Dallane » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 am

rustles wrote:I think it's pretty clear that the only way the devs will ever fix this game is if they made an account, played the game, and seen it from the perspective of the player.

Not just a couple of hours here and there, but actually build a town from scratch, starting from zero, with no god mode dev powers(if they have those, some games do)

There is really no further progress in this game, nothing else to do. You build a base, learn all of the skills, do some repetitive and tedious manual labor that does not progress your player in any way, get bored of it, and then stop playing.

The only thing you can do is increase field tier, eat food, and grind out iron bars for more blazers.

I'm bored of this game, I only ever go on to feed turkeys and pay upkeep.

They are obviously aware and are working on content.

Jesus wtf is wrong with people?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Claeyt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:06 am

jorb wrote:Kind of this. We'll be back before long. :)

You guys do realize Jorb just posted right in the middle of your self pity troll posts. Right. :lol:

-1 Reading Skills before posting
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Borgins » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:47 am

There must be some secret code/handshake here that I don't understand, Jorb's OP is "taking a break thinking about content" then next post "yeah that's what we're doing".

People seem to be able to read the end of the world into these comments, I must be missing something.
Borgins

Postby Trypticoon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:47 am

They aren't suffering from a lack of ideas. They have great ideas. They just need to finish what they start. They said themselves that they've been tackling the 'low hanging fruit', rather than working on the things that need to be done. If they just took a month to stop ***** around and properly implement one of the game changing new ideas they crapped into the game, things would be much much better.
Trypticoon

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements