Wish you were here

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Wish you were here

Postby RonPaulFTW » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:42 pm

I found salem through the paradox website. I check there every couple months or so for new games.

Turnover of n00bs is a common issue with all mmo type games. The best online games have a good onboarding process. I will repeat what I've said elsewhere: beginner protection for 1-2 weeks or some skill/humor level, easy inter player trading system, maybe a better tutorial system / more tools in the client.
RonPaulFTW

Postby Mereni » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:21 pm

RonPaulFTW wrote:I found salem through the paradox website. I check there every couple months or so for new games.

Turnover of n00bs is a common issue with all mmo type games. The best online games have a good onboarding process. I will repeat what I've said elsewhere: beginner protection for 1-2 weeks or some skill/humor level, easy inter player trading system, maybe a better tutorial system / more tools in the client.

These things have been suggested many many times.

Beginner protection won't work because it is too easy to make a new character and use a few of them to surround and block a very old and high level character into a death trap. Newbies who want 'protection' can just stay on the Boston claim for a few days.

Everyone wants a safer inter player trading system, but the devs don't. I think because they believe it removes some of the 'sandbox' aspect they want.

More tutorial and changes to the default client are planned but very low priority, especially since Ender's client is very good and everyone uses it.
Mereni

Postby RonPaulFTW » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:22 am

Experienced forum readers might use ender's client - most new players won't. It took me 3 hours to get the default client working due to odd java errors. I also don't use Enders client as it is crappy with java 7 and I have to have 7 on my computer or work.
Don't jump to conclusions about the client. If it's difficult to get started playing most will give up.
RonPaulFTW

Postby Droj » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:38 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:Experienced forum readers might use ender's client - most new players won't. It took me 3 hours to get the default client working due to odd java errors. I also don't use Enders client as it is crappy with java 7 and I have to have 7 on my computer or work.
Don't jump to conclusions about the client. If it's difficult to get started playing most will give up.

you can install 6 as well and create a .bat file to run ender's in 6
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby RonPaulFTW » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:46 am

Can you pm with instructions for the .bat file / give me a sample .bat to edit.

This is still proving my point though - average player is not going to go to nearly this much trouble.
RonPaulFTW

Postby Mereni » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:03 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:Can you pm with instructions for the .bat file / give me a sample .bat to edit.

This is still proving my point though - average player is not going to go to nearly this much trouble.

People have said this before, too. Unfortunately, the devs feel differently. :(
Mereni

Postby Darwoth » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:58 am

biggest turnoff this game has is the **** client with the migraine inducing kaleidoscope camera that was stupidly switched out for the default "follow cam" that enders still has, if your first impression of this game is what you see through the default client nobody is going to stick around long enough to learn of enders much less anything about the actual game.
Darwoth

Postby Tomki » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 am

Darwoth wrote:biggest turnoff this game has is the **** client with the migraine inducing kaleidoscope camera that was stupidly switched out for the default "follow cam" that enders still has, if your first impression of this game is what you see through the default client nobody is going to stick around long enough to learn of enders much less anything about the actual game.

This is true.

Had I tried to play this game with that weird looking-through-pipe-thing, I might have quit before finding Enders client. It gives me headache.

Players get their first impression by graphics and client. Although the graphics are a bit outdated it still looks nice.
Tomki

Postby Kandarim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:11 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:Can you pm with instructions for the .bat file / give me a sample .bat to edit.

this is my current version of the no-update .bat file I use whenever ender's dropbox is acting up (I believe I changed the default values of heap sizes) :

Code: Select all
start javaw -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -jar salem.jar plymouth.seatribe.se -res http://plymouth.seatribe.se/res/

you could then just replace
javaw

with a direct location of the javaw file you wish to use, instead of letting the path resolve it:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby DemonEyes » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 am

Darwoth wrote:biggest turnoff this game has is the **** client with the migraine inducing kaleidoscope camera that was stupidly switched out for the default "follow cam" that enders still has, if your first impression of this game is what you see through the default client nobody is going to stick around long enough to learn of enders much less anything about the actual game.

I actually have no issue with this.. although I know it is a mtter of personal taste and preference.. A good step would be to makes enders client official.. both for here AND H&H (it makes sooo much more difference there)

I agree the game turns off new players in many ways, and it IS hard in a sandbox game to make it more attractive, but then look at minecraft.. there is (or was) pretty much NOTHING in the way of tutorial or guidance other than wiki and forums.. yet that has a massive playerbase.. but that is because it is so simple and whether you lose a character that you have played for a year or one that you played for five mins makes little difference (other than the loss of an easily crafted base)
DemonEyes

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements