Game Development: Project Mayhem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Project Mayhem

Postby Scilly_guy » Sun May 19, 2013 11:34 pm

My personal list of word definitions:

1. Professional: Make a living from that particular field.
2. Software Engineer: Designing a piece of software and developing on a structured route in a meaningful way.
3. Hacker: Programming what you want, in such a way that it gets the job done, and there aren't too many bugs.
4. God: Lives in the clouds, controls the little people by means of manipulating the world they live in.

(These are my personal definitions don't forget, I am not claiming them to be the dictionary. But I would argue that my uni professors agreed with me about the term "hacker".)

As far as I am concerned Jorb and Loftar fulfil 3 of these. Bearing in mind that 2 are mutually exclusive, and that I would like to belong in those 3 same categories.

(I don't mind when the update(s) come, I would rather that they were complete and honest than telling us they will happen and then be 'empty'.)
Scilly_guy

Postby Dallane » Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 am

Scilly_guy wrote:But I would argue that my uni professors agreed with me about the term "hacker".)

You and your profs are correct but also it has other definitions in this modern world.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Trypticoon » Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 am

staxjax wrote:The update will be done when its half-done.

Fixed.

If the last few patches are any indicator, the terraforming update will allow you to dig flat dirt but raising dirt will be scheduled for a later update along with well purity, nail purity, the rest of the tiered food values, useful alchemy tools, etc.
Trypticoon

Postby Dallane » Mon May 20, 2013 12:51 am

Trypticoon wrote:
***** about a game in beta

Honestly getting any update once a week is 1000x times better then the months we had to deal with not to long ago.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Trypticoon » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 am

Dallane wrote:***** about a game in beta

'no'

I'm "*****" about their apparent unwillingness to finish what they start before tackling another project. It has nothing to do with what phase the game is in.

Playing the beta card is for betas.
Trypticoon

Postby DemonEyes » Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am

Trypticoon wrote:
Dallane wrote:***** about a game in beta

'no'

I'm "*****" about their apparent unwillingness to finish what they start before tackling another project. It has nothing to do with what phase the game is in.

Playing the beta card is for betas.

I'm sorry I forgot that you are entitled to a weekly update on Thursday, no sooner and no later.. I will just go and phone the President of the UN to apply diplomatic pressure to ensure that you get what you so very much are entitled to. Do you wish me to call the Court of Human Rights so that you can escalate this?
DemonEyes

Postby Banok » Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 pm

pras drought.
Banok

Postby Scilly_guy » Mon May 20, 2013 3:07 pm

The point isn't that we want updates NOW, its that they do an update on one particular area and then move on to something completely different. At least with Alchemy they did a few weeks in a row on related features. The other issue is saying there will be an alchemy pack in the store by the end of the week and it still not being there 18 days later, then saying that you are going to do something before the end of the week (maybe), all I ask is that they say it won't be ready until next week, set realistic time frames.
Scilly_guy

Postby Kandarim » Mon May 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Scilly_guy wrote:The point isn't that we want updates NOW, its that they do an update on one particular area and then move on to something completely different. At least with Alchemy they did a few weeks in a row on related features. The other issue is saying there will be an alchemy pack in the store by the end of the week and it still not being there 18 days later, then saying that you are going to do something before the end of the week (maybe), all I ask is that they say it won't be ready until next week, set realistic time frames.

You have a point on the alchemy pack, i'm anxiously looking forward to it as well.

On the other hand, please refer to jorb's original post, and see for yourself that they did not give an accurate time frame. He only expressed his hope to get the piece of work done before the end of the week:

jorb wrote:Hopefully later this week. Not tonight is the key takeaway. ;)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby kruskdamangled » Mon May 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Kandarim wrote:
Scilly_guy wrote:The point isn't that we want updates NOW, its that they do an update on one particular area and then move on to something completely different. At least with Alchemy they did a few weeks in a row on related features. The other issue is saying there will be an alchemy pack in the store by the end of the week and it still not being there 18 days later, then saying that you are going to do something before the end of the week (maybe), all I ask is that they say it won't be ready until next week, set realistic time frames.

You have a point on the alchemy pack, i'm anxiously looking forward to it as well.

On the other hand, please refer to jorb's original post, and see for yourself that they did not give an accurate time frame. He only expressed his hope to get the piece of work done before the end of the week:

jorb wrote:Hopefully later this week. Not tonight is the key takeaway. ;)

Also, it's FREE. you can get nifty hats and stuff by paying real money, but the game itself is free. That by itself kind of invalidates a lot of arguments. You get to play a fairly deep and obviously involving game (I say this because you guys are getting WORKED UP about this. For real.) "Oh, but I PAID MONEY FOR A HAT!, I DESERVE SERVICE". You paid for a hat. Not a subscription. You threw money at them to make the game better, and there was no specific expectation or understanding that they would develop on anything but their own terms.

And you still play for free regardless. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth people. (Although, I do want horses if you guys read this. Turkey being the only domestic animal besides Noob Slaves is boring.)
kruskdamangled

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements