Game Development: Project Mayhem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Project Mayhem

Postby Jalpha » Tue May 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby Nezrukas » Wed May 22, 2013 12:01 am

Trypticoon wrote:It's obvious that none of us would even be here if we didn't hold some degree of affection for this game. I just don't think it's unreasonable to expect a new mechanic to be more than half finished before we're confronted with 3 or 4 more. If anything, that should be easier with a 2 man team than a 200 man team. I don't know why the devs keep jumping from project to project but it gives the impression that they're either high as ***** 18 hours a day or unhappy with their own ideas. If it's the latter then that's a shame because they have great ideas. They just need to be fully realized. I can't speak for everyone but I know alot of us would trade weekly updates for complete updates.

I agree, complete update better than a small weekly parts from it. I think once a month or once every 2 weeks would be enough ;)
Nezrukas

Postby wiatrak » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

I would say that was for testing some mechanics(and it works!). Only hope is that the delay is connected with some content update, not only "new flattening tool".
wiatrak
Customer

Postby Viackura » Wed May 22, 2013 12:44 am

Nezrukas wrote:I agree, complete update better than a small weekly parts from it. I think once a month or once every 2 weeks would be enough ;)

no i don't like it if we die in boredom after a week of no update a month is dead game
Viackura

Postby Trypticoon » Wed May 22, 2013 1:31 am

Viackura wrote:no i don't like it if we die in boredom after a week of no update a month is dead game

What's so fun about weekly updates when they're so incomplete that they don't add anything to the experience? I'd rather see an update once a month instead of once a week if it meant getting an update that was actually useable. Right now it's like receiving a different puzzle piece every week, except none of the pieces belong to the same puzzle.
Trypticoon

Postby Viackura » Wed May 22, 2013 2:15 am

Trypticoon wrote:
Viackura wrote:no i don't like it if we die in boredom after a week of no update a month is dead game

What's so fun about weekly updates when they're so incomplete that they don't add anything to the experience? I'd rather see an update once a month instead of once a week if it meant getting an update that was actually useable. Right now it's like receiving a different puzzle piece every week, except none of the pieces belong to the same puzzle.

>they don't add anything to the experience?
>alchemy
>copper mines
>copper pots along with moshroom poison
i see your point and i understand you don't play the game anymore and only whine about it
Viackura

Postby skippi » Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 am

For me, the upgrade from 9.5.13 was good! Maybe now something interesting to cook, why the delay?
skippi

Postby Trypticoon » Wed May 22, 2013 8:44 am

Viackura wrote:>alchemy
>copper mines
>copper pots along with moshroom poison

>alchemy - Serves no purpose because they haven't added useful alchemy tools yet
>copper mines - Serve no purpose other than to make pots. Pots serve no purpose because they haven't added anything new to do with them. They had to make mushrooms poisonous just to justify their existence, and even that was pointless because we already had cauldrons.
>copper pots and mushroom poison - See above. If you built a pot and boiled some poison mushrooms the day the update came out, do you know what you would get? You'd get the exact same regular ass mushrooms that you could have just picked from the ground a day earlier.

All of those things have potential to add meaningful new gameplay, but in their current half-ass implementation they add nothing. The last update was the first recent one to add anything useful to the game and they still managed to leave certain foods out for whatever reason.
Trypticoon

Postby lachlaan » Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 am

They have added useful alchemy tools, you just expect stuff to go faster than it can at the moment.Perhaps this is how fast alchemy will ever get, you might have to adjust to the idea that you can't have all the toys right off the bat.

Copper can be used for nails, for some of the alchemy stuff, and i'm sure it has a few more uses. The argument that any two added elements that depend on one another to have a function are implemented simply to give the other a function would invalidate the entire game. They only added a map to give a purpose to the whole moving mechanic. They only added moving to make use of that huge map they added.

As for mushrooms, they just added another hoop to jump through, you can always opt out. Toadstool is harmless, and if you really want free BB you can get it with other things now pretty easily, work towards those and you'll be fine.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Lusewing » Wed May 22, 2013 10:09 am

Copper is most certainly useful - I LOVE copper buttons
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements