Game Development: Theatrum Chemicum

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Game Development: Theatrum Chemicum

Postby jorb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:05 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

Proficiency Change: Whenever you level up a proficiency, all proficiency meters that are currently full and processed (green) are now increased by one point, except for the proficiency you actually clicked to increase, which is instead increased by two points.

Perennial Philosophy is still leveled at a pace of one point at a time, and never increases as a side effect of levling another proficiency.

We hope that this change shall increase the level of meaningful planning and choice available to you in the development of your proficiencies and skills, while at the same time also vastly reducing the amount of hard grind required to unlock basic abilities. There will probably be some future changes to skill costs to reflect this change, but overall the ambition is to curb the grind, especially early on. (If anyone cries about how this change is somehow unfair to some vested interest or other, I will KEEEEEL YOOOO!)

Gluttony Change: Invariance increases at a slightly slower pace than previously, but also has a slightly more powerful effect. Variance in food consumption should now be more effective as a result.

--- Hermeticism & Alchemy ---
Alchemy Table: A repository and enabler for and of Alchymical Equipment and processes.

Conjunctive Retort: While placed on an Alchemy Table, the Conjunctive Retort transfers from the lowest Alchemical dimension of an item placed in it, to the next to lowest Alchemical dimension of the same item. Note that the dimension being transfered to cannot come to exceed the next to highest dimension of the item.

Coagulative Alembic: While placed on an Alchemy Table, the Coagulative Alembic reduces both the Chymicall Instability and the Purity of items placed in it.

Rectificative Test Tubes: While placed on an Alchemy Table, the Rectificative Test Tubes slowly randomize the Alchemical dimensions of items placed in them.

--- Siege Changes ---
Trial by Fire reduced to half HP and has less soak
Walls slightly reduced in HP & Soak

--- Purity Fields ---
Loftar made a slight foobar with them, so they may have shifted. They will not do this again.

--- Publish Screenshots ---
Use Alt + S to open the screenshot tool, which allows you to take and publish screenshots to the public feed over @ http://www.salemthegame.com/. We will be adding a UI-button for the tool in the future.

--- Price Changes ---
Wallpaper, Furniture & Decoratives cheaper across the board.

--- Some thoughts ---
We realize that the present changes to Alchemy have made raiding hard. We expect to gradually try to rebalance to better reflect the present paradigm. We're throwing this change out there as a first attempt.

We will be adding further Alchymical Equipment.

We have an ambition to try to avoid adding more elements of hard grind, and an ambition to try to reduce them where they do exist.

We have an ambition to try to increase the importance of player skill in the fighting system.

We are thinking about Animal Husbandry, Fearsome Creatures and Priesthood, in no particular order.

Enjoy!
jorb

Re: Game Development: Theatrum Chemicum

Postby belgear » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:05 am

thanks!

Alchemy Table

Conjunctive Retort

Coagulative Alembic

Rectificative Test Tubes
Last edited by belgear on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
belgear
Customer

Postby Darkside » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 am

Woah - no wanring this time - just my clients crashed!
Darkside

Postby Viackura » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 am

o gaws now my proficiencies are going to be crap but i don't care this is awesome :D
Viackura

Postby n0kturnal » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:08 am

PRAS Jorbtar!!! I can't wait to try this new stuff out. And omigod thanks for taking out some of dat grind.

Fearsome Creatures sounds like an awesome idea for a skill! It would encourage people to go venture into the darkness of the Lumberwoods.
Last edited by n0kturnal on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
n0kturnal

Postby Claeyt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 am

Newb Revolution has begun. :lol:

This is unfair to my vested interests.

Pras Jorb

Gonna be a ton of Newbs out there with thieving skills before you know it. LOL.
Last edited by Claeyt on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Gallient » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 am

Interesting alchemy stuff, not sure what to do with it but interesting.
Gallient

Postby Toorimakun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:11 am

more mobs in the process?
nice... hope they aren't OP like snakes tho... >.>
RIP: Purity, you will be missed.
Toorimakun

Postby belgear » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:11 am

Viackura wrote:o gaws now my proficiencies are going to be crap but i don't care this is awesome :D

"There will probably be some future changes to skill costs to reflect this change,"
belgear
Customer

Postby thorop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:13 am

mhmm interesting. more equipment for my meth lab. i mean alch lab
“In a room sit three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. So tell me—who lives and who dies?”
thorop

Next

Return to Announcements