Game Development: Under Pressure

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Under Pressure

Postby colesie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

lachlaan wrote:Inb4 next update adds a feature from HnH, cheese making. The update post shall be called "Some cheese with your whine?" xD

No, because that would be a good update
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby BubbaMKII » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Open PvP is great.
I, used to, know a lot of people that would immediately join because of this.
I actually payed to play pong on arcade machines, that's how old i am and i have played many many games in many many genres.
The success of a game comes from listening to your players.
The ones where the developers stubbornly did their own thing never lasted very long.
It's like writing a DB app for a client and going, "no, i will make it function like this, it will take you a week to get the data you want but it's much more elaborate from a coding point of view and more of a challenge for me."
good luck getting another job from them or any company they are affiliated with.
I didn't see anyone complain about the farming purity as it was before.
Then again, i've been only playing for a month and maybe it really was a big problem for the players.
BubbaMKII

Postby lachlaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Listen, you especially, and all the other disgruntled beta testers are suffering from a pretty nasty bias which makes you compare the game as it is with the incomplete previous version. I mean even a five year old can indeed tell the difference between linear purity increase with enough fields, and the current system. So yeah, it's harder than it used to be, but it was never meant to be the way it used to be. It just so happened that the game ended up in that state, and the devs took for granted the fact that they are in fact in charge of their own time and what features to add to the game, as well as when they can/should add them. Now, if people would just stop comparing the current system with the old broken one, and instead wait, and judge it by how it will eventually factor into the complete game mechanics, I could at least accept what may come as fair criticism. But you're just pointing at a half built car and shouting to the car builder "that piece of junk can't drive me anywhere".
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby dmdisco » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 pm

lachlaan wrote:Listen, you especially, and all the other disgruntled beta testers are suffering from a pretty nasty bias which makes you compare the game as it is with the incomplete previous version. I mean even a five year old can indeed tell the difference between linear purity increase with enough fields, and the current system. So yeah, it's harder than it used to be, but it was never meant to be the way it used to be. It just so happened that the game ended up in that state, and the devs took for granted the fact that they are in fact in charge of their own time and what features to add to the game, as well as when they can/should add them. Now, if people would just stop comparing the current system with the old broken one, and instead wait, and judge it by how it will eventually factor into the complete game mechanics, I could at least accept what may come as fair criticism. But you're just pointing at a half built car and shouting to the car builder "that piece of junk can't drive me anywhere".

this
yea who needs "secure" trading, its not like this game would benefit from it, lets just kill the newbs instead as long as that's fun and people still join the game.
dmdisco

Postby Mereni » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 am

lachlaan wrote:Listen, you especially, and all the other disgruntled beta testers are suffering from a pretty nasty bias which makes you compare the game as it is with the incomplete previous version. I mean even a five year old can indeed tell the difference between linear purity increase with enough fields, and the current system. So yeah, it's harder than it used to be, but it was never meant to be the way it used to be. It just so happened that the game ended up in that state, and the devs took for granted the fact that they are in fact in charge of their own time and what features to add to the game, as well as when they can/should add them. Now, if people would just stop comparing the current system with the old broken one, and instead wait, and judge it by how it will eventually factor into the complete game mechanics, I could at least accept what may come as fair criticism. But you're just pointing at a half built car and shouting to the car builder "that piece of junk can't drive me anywhere".

Most people aren't complaining about the new system, though. We're just upset that the new system is being instituted in such a broken way. For two weeks now, farming has been impossible because that part of the system is incomplete, and raiding has been impossible because only the 100% purity food Made it possible with the new, highly buffed, defenses. It makes me wonder why all the time was spent on 'rebalancing' the defenses if this change was going to be made. Why not just do THIS instead? Way back a few months ago? If it had been done so, the current 'titans', few though they are, wouldn't exist at all, and we would still be able to, with great effort, create characters capable of raiding in This new purity system.

The trouble now though, is that most people like to farm, and we can't do much of that atm, unless we only want 0-5% purity, and we can't get better than that with things how they are. No one wants to grind if they know they won't get anywhere. Some like to raid, but there is not enough food left to do that, it's not just the permanent drain, it's the regen of humors. The loot gotten from a raid isn't worth the food used to do it. Some might want to build a new base or remodel an old one, well a number of players probably have characters that can break a wall or smelter, but many of the newer ones won't be able to get humors up to the 60 or so needed without a great deal of time an effort since high percent seeds are no longer a thing they can buy and use. So, no more raiding, farming, base remodeling...

It's been two weeks. Something needs to change so that those of us who have already done the skilling up and other things that new players can occupy themselves with will have something to do again. We need, mostly, a change that allows a way to start grinding up farming again. And we need a schedule of defenses being slowly brought back down to 'normal' level they were at when seeds were in the 20%s or so. Once raiding and farming and base remodeling are back in the game, there won't be so many complaints about the remodel of the purity grind. In fact, I'm happy it's here, I just want something to do while it's all being installed.
Mereni

Postby BubbaMKII » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:21 am

Mereni wrote:

Most people aren't complaining about the new system, though. We're just upset that the new system is being instituted in such a broken way. For two weeks now, farming has been impossible because that part of the system is incomplete, and raiding has been impossible because only the 100% purity food Made it possible with the new, highly buffed, defenses. It makes me wonder why all the time was spent on 'rebalancing' the defenses if this change was going to be made. Why not just do THIS instead? Way back a few months ago? If it had been done so, the current 'titans', few though they are, wouldn't exist at all, and we would still be able to, with great effort, create characters capable of raiding in This new purity system.

The trouble now though, is that most people like to farm, and we can't do much of that atm, unless we only want 0-5% purity, and we can't get better than that with things how they are. No one wants to grind if they know they won't get anywhere. Some like to raid, but there is not enough food left to do that, it's not just the permanent drain, it's the regen of humors. The loot gotten from a raid isn't worth the food used to do it. Some might want to build a new base or remodel an old one, well a number of players probably have characters that can break a wall or smelter, but many of the newer ones won't be able to get humors up to the 60 or so needed without a great deal of time an effort since high percent seeds are no longer a thing they can buy and use. So, no more raiding, farming, base remodeling...

It's been two weeks. Something needs to change so that those of us who have already done the skilling up and other things that new players can occupy themselves with will have something to do again. We need, mostly, a change that allows a way to start grinding up farming again. And we need a schedule of defenses being slowly brought back down to 'normal' level they were at when seeds were in the 20%s or so. Once raiding and farming and base remodeling are back in the game, there won't be so many complaints about the remodel of the purity grind. In fact, I'm happy it's here, I just want something to do while it's all being installed.

Couldn't have said it better.

On the half a car thing, half cars aren't sold anywhere as driveable.
So, why are half finished games sold as playable?
Because fanbois put up with it and claim it's normal.
BubbaMKII

Postby malloc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:34 am

loftar wrote:
L33LEE wrote:I think since a server reset, ALL water locations have changed/ rerandomized.

That does sound quite weird, and like a bug. I'll have to investigate that.

This bug(?) appears to have affected the Roanoke server only. Does it appear that the previous map purity distribution is something that can be restored, or is the current disturbion likely to be the new (somewhat permanent) distribution?

I'm not sure if anyone minds either way, I personally don't, but knowing one way or the other would allow players on Roanoke to either:
Toss out old maps and feel good about exploring (knowing it wont change again in a few days) or
Hold off a bit as the previous purity distribution will be restored.

This is not a complaint or meant to be whining, I am only curious about the progress on this bug and the outcome.
malloc

Postby adheckert » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:48 am

So since the last patch I am lost on Farming. Did worms eating things go away? Can someone lay out simply the current farming process? Ive had worms next to plants for days and nothing is happening. Does Hay count as a plant? I have tried pumpkin as well.

Thanks
adheckert

Postby Snowpig » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 am

first thing: take out all worms from your containers and put them back in (this corrects the bug, where they do not eat)

- worms eat once every 12 hours any plant which is directly adjacent to their position inside the box (above, below, left, right -- not diagonal)
- you have to put the worm in your compost bin (open bin, left-click on your worm, move in the compost bin layout)
- compost bin alchemy influences the values too, thats why you should start a tree farm in the long term (farm higher-purity water, lime/clay)
In feudalism, it's your count that votes...
Snowpig

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm

My worms are still not eating. Is it possible only worms generated after the bugfix are going to eat?
tweenprinc3ss

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements