Game Development: Pistols at Dawn

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Pistols at Dawn

Postby Wournos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Eegore wrote:Does anyone have a list of the updated graphics? Working on the new update video and i'm trying to be as accurate as possible. If you have images you can pm them to me, and I think that the pirate gear is epic! Didn't really see that implementation coming! I thought we weren't allowed to have nice things?

Thanks in advance,
Eegore

Autumnal forest ground has changed. It seems much more intense in colour, and doesn't give away tiles like it used to. I can probably dig up some before and after pictures, but that has to wait until tomorrow. Getting sleepy.
Reminder to self: Patience is a virtue.
If Apple blocks Java on Mac: delete
Wournos

Postby Dallane » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 pm

staxjax wrote:But yeah, we don't use bots either...I actually don't know anybody that does use bots.

:lol: ;)
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Tomki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Hmm,

Anyone else noticed a dramatic FPS loss after the latest graphics update (autumnal forest tiles)? It seems my FPS rate has dropped by half when I enter my base in that terrain. The problem can also be in my small head :). Or the latest java update...
Tomki

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 am

Tomki wrote:Hmm,

Anyone else noticed a dramatic FPS loss after the latest graphics update (autumnal forest tiles)? It seems my FPS rate has dropped by half when I enter my base in that terrain. The problem can also be in my small head :). Or the latest java update...

I've noticed some loss, but not dramatic. However, it was enough to push the slowness into the "quite frustrating" territory and inspire me to use the 11x11 tile mod.
Low FPS? Love Pixels? Try my new graphics pack! It's Pixelicious. :)
Compost Bin purity formula: Now doing science to earthworms
Hans_Lemurson

Postby Wournos » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Not sure if it's "dramatic". I've always had loading issues with this game. It usually takes 10-15 seconds for the lag to go down enough to be able to move around somewhat freely. But this is not restricted just to autumnal forest. I get it whenever I travel to my property or to the server city. I sometimes have severe loading issues going in and out of my house. The game even crashed at one point.
Wournos

Postby JinxDevona » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:25 pm

I have never had any trouble until this update. It takes a bit to load. I have lagging when I had none before. I don't know anything tech wise, I just know how it has been different since the update.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby robert » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Wournos wrote:
Eegore wrote:Does anyone have a list of the updated graphics? Working on the new update video and i'm trying to be as accurate as possible. If you have images you can pm them to me, and I think that the pirate gear is epic! Didn't really see that implementation coming! I thought we weren't allowed to have nice things?

Thanks in advance,
Eegore

Autumnal forest ground has changed. It seems much more intense in colour, and doesn't give away tiles like it used to. I can probably dig up some before and after pictures, but that has to wait until tomorrow. Getting sleepy.

you also forgot to tell him about the wildlife corpse update when you skin them :P

pras jorb & loftar we no longer have MS paint corpses of animals :P
robert

Postby Wournos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

robert wrote:
Wournos wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Eegore

you also forgot to tell him about the wildlife corpse update when you skin them :P

pras jorb & loftar we no longer have MS paint corpses of animals :P

That's because I didn't know they had been updated. Thanks for the info. ;)

Oh and another thing. I don't remember where I read a question for this but slings do not shoot over stone walls. I tried to attack a bear from safe distance but failed.
Wournos

Postby robert » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:18 am

Wournos wrote:That's because I didn't know they had been updated. Thanks for the info. ;)

Oh and another thing. I don't remember where I read a question for this but slings do not shoot over stone walls. I tried to attack a bear from safe distance but failed.

no firearm shoots over walls. only time i have been able to shoot over any object was standing on a raised hill and firing slingshot at crickets in a "valleyish" style grassland. last time i used a "rifle" was back in dec, and it wouldnt shoot over walls either.. dashing my plans of soloing a bear at 20 biles :(

deer updates faster after skinning then bear does. you have to enter and exit a house to reload a bear corpse to show the skinned look. deer sorta pops :/
robert

Postby Wournos » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 am

robert wrote:
Wournos wrote:That's because I didn't know they had been updated. Thanks for the info. ;)

no firearm shoots over walls. only time i have been able to shoot over any object was standing on a raised hill and firing slingshot at crickets in a "valleyish" style grassland. last time i used a "rifle" was back in dec, and it wouldnt shoot over walls either.. dashing my plans of soloing a bear at 20 biles :(

deer updates faster after skinning then bear does. you have to enter and exit a house to reload a bear corpse to show the skinned look. deer sorta pops :/

Does this mean that if you have an elevated area around a claim someone can stand on the outside and attack people on the claim? So the ideal settlement is now to build on hills?! (I saw a claim not too long ago 5-6 tiles high)
Wournos

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements