Game Development: Gunpowder Plot

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Gunpowder Plot

Postby m4sCaRpWn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah but, again, I had my YB up to 20 in only 3 days. 20 YB is enough to kill 4 or 5 crickets no problem, even if you miss on the stomp. The point is not to hit them with it; just to aggro. Then eat a few mushrooms and repeat.

The other option of course is the sling, which you can make using milkweed as others have mentioned. But until they make some kind of ammo pouch I'm not carrying around a bunch of rocks everywhere I go.
The sweat and blood shed by its people had established a strong foundation upon which the most powerful entity in the world would be built.
m4sCaRpWn

Postby Darkside » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 pm

I dont even use the slingshot anymore its too much of a hassle.

I just use Wander to move a little faster and I follow a rabbit/cricket until I get real close and then hit stomp to aggro them and then fight as normal.
Darkside

Postby Delerium » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 pm

I think the mistake people tend to make is trying to just walk up to an enemy and hit the stomp button. If you are trying to do that, of course your going to miss most of the time. In order for you to consistently get aggro, it's best to increase your speed with either run or wander. Just chase them until you are right on top of them and then stomp, just as darkside said. It's not hard once you get used to it. Rabbits are a little faster, so you'll need to time it when they make a direction change and start running toward you. Forests are easier to trigger these direction changes as they run into trees a lot.
Delerium

Postby Sarge » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:54 am

Tried out stomp a bit against crickets and beavers... no hassle, so all good (except for the need of slingshot ammo and ammo pouches ofc)
Nixman wrote:Hard to tell sometimes whats intended and whats a bug.

MrGemini wrote:he even falled on his knees, to make his prayer more louder!
Sarge

Postby qbradq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:04 pm

I never could agro anything with Stomp. I also never ran at them. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that :D I will give this a try. I too hate to carry around an inventory full of stones just to miss 8 times. I'd much rather carry around half an inventory of food and munch for YB.

As a new player I found that making the slingshot was not an issue. At the time I lived in a forest. It was a VERY long walk to the nearest biome with Milkweed. I just TP'ed to Boston and foraged for a bit. It took maybe an hour to find what I needed, and I also had two boxes full of Berries on a Straw afterwards.

I also love that it's an involved crafting process for early-game. Finding the roots, making a fire, waiting for two 20-minute bake cycles (because you need 5 fibers and only 4 fit in a fire), then using them on a water source all just to craft a flimsy little slingshot. It's a great introduction to what the game will become for you very shortly :D

The only complaint I had is that I didn't know about the change when it happened. I killed my first bunny and was so happy. The next day I log in and I can't catch anything. I thought I was going insane until someone on the forums pointed me here :D But it's a beta of a game with a vertical learning curve. I wouldn't be playing it if I didn't enjoy such things.
qbradq

Postby iamah » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm

stone pouch pretty please

hunting crickets became a pain in the ass now
iamah

Postby yipper007 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 pm

how about crouching, digging trenches, dueling pistols, primitive rifling modifications, and cannons? not being sarcastic, you're just spoiling us with the possibilities. :cry: waaa! i want dem nowwww!
yipper007

Previous

Return to Announcements