Game Development: Gunpowder Plot

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Gunpowder Plot

Postby cryptfilter » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:50 am

This new update actually puts a huge gap between new players vs elite players.

a long time player who has good skills gaining glutony has the stats to enjoy this new system

a new character just entering salem, just got a huge disadvantage to playing salem, it is quiet an effort to getting the professions required to be able to utilise guns or slings, as you need firearms for guns, and sewing and cotton skills to get plant fibre to craft a sling. while spending time in salem getting food making stuff gaining skills, your phlem is increasing well before you can manage your blood and yellow stat. simply because the foods you gather vs hunting is unbalanced.
you can train in fishing to get foods that give blood and yellow, but thats another gap to add.

getting leather is an important part of salem, its needed, this new system makes it harder for new players. to be honest with the amount of time ive played salem, i still havent got to being able to hunt and gather skins to craft to leather.

with glutony being so ridicuslously hard to manage, im blood 10, phlem 26, yellow 9, black 13. i would easily say this system of gaining stats for a character puts it in the hardest system ive ever tried. i think a math degree would help me threw the right formula of getting glutony gains evenly. now that you have created a more complicted way of hunting, its adds to the gap a new player would find vs an elite player of salem.

the benifiet i see with the new gunpowder plot, it moves hunting to ranged, which takes some of the difficulty off combat, melee combat is way too hard as hunting rabbits isnt a problem, but hunting a beaver is completly way over my skill level in salem. there needs to be a reload skill, or button to press to reduce the complexity of ranged combat.

targeting is an issue, how do i know what my target is ???.

where do i see this going, 1 shot murderers, just waiting outside town, take aim and that new character is perma dead. you have made it easier to grieve new players. atleast before a griefer had to run up too a player and melee 1 shot them, atleast it gave the new player a chance to run. my wife has been murdered twice simply this way. which bridges the gap on people who can actually play salem.
to prove this lately there are more dead salems outside boston.
cryptfilter

Postby Ornery » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:30 am

cryptfilter wrote:This new update actually puts a huge gap between new players vs elite players.

a long time player who has good skills gaining glutony has the stats to enjoy this new system

a new character just entering salem, just got a huge disadvantage to playing salem, it is quiet an effort to getting the professions required to be able to utilise guns or slings, as you need firearms for guns, and sewing and cotton skills to get plant fibre to craft a sling. while spending time in salem getting food making stuff gaining skills, your phlem is increasing well before you can manage your blood and yellow stat. simply because the foods you gather vs hunting is unbalanced.
you can train in fishing to get foods that give blood and yellow, but thats another gap to add.

You can put milkweed into a stone fireplace and get plant fibres that way, so slings are pretty simple to get.

getting leather is an important part of salem, its needed, this new system makes it harder for new players. to be honest with the amount of time ive played salem, i still havent got to being able to hunt and gather skins to craft to leather.

with glutony being so ridicuslously hard to manage, im blood 10, phlem 26, yellow 9, black 13. i would easily say this system of gaining stats for a character puts it in the hardest system ive ever tried. i think a math degree would help me threw the right formula of getting glutony gains evenly. now that you have created a more complicted way of hunting, its adds to the gap a new player would find vs an elite player of salem.

Hunting will carry you to maybe 100 in all biles, and take a **** ton of food to do. Farming is how people with high humoured characters got them.

the benifiet i see with the new gunpowder plot, it moves hunting to ranged, which takes some of the difficulty off combat, melee combat is way too hard as hunting rabbits isnt a problem, but hunting a beaver is completly way over my skill level in salem. there needs to be a reload skill, or button to press to reduce the complexity of ranged combat.

You can always tag them into combat with a sling, which is easily obtainable with milkweed like I said above. A reload button would be pretty boss, though.

You shoot in the direction of your cursor.

where do i see this going, 1 shot murderers, just waiting outside town, take aim and that new character is perma dead. you have made it easier to grieve new players. atleast before a griefer had to run up too a player and melee 1 shot them, atleast it gave the new player a chance to run. my wife has been murdered twice simply this way. which bridges the gap on people who can actually play salem.

I used the old .5 damage muskets to tag and then run down people, so it doesn't really make it any easier. Less regen food, I guess.
<milonti> Psshh, tears are tier 5 products.

America confirmed winning since 1776
Ornery

Postby alloin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:40 pm

cryptfilter wrote:This new update actually puts a huge gap between new players vs elite players.

Derpaderp, I don't think this game is for you, or you need to read more guides etc...

to be honest with the amount of time ive played salem, i still havent got to being able to hunt and gather skins to craft to leather.

I think you're doing something wrong...

targeting is an issue, how do i know what my target is ???

There is no tab-targetting in this game ! Aim & target...

im blood 10, phlem 26, yellow 9, black 13

http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Roasted_Beaver_Steak, http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Sugar_Caps, http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Wortbaked_Wartbite, http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Wildberry_Pie, http://salemwiki.info/index.php/%27Shrooms-on-a-Stick
Oh wait, this game had a wiki ??? ¦]

I don't want to sound harsh, but do some research before whining !
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Ornery wrote:
You can put milkweed into a stone fireplace and get plant fibres that way, so slings are pretty simple to get.

Even better: recycle some of your old clothing into rags, and use that as fibres! Supposedly, this works (according to the wiki, haven't tried it myself)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Ornery wrote:
cryptfilter wrote:...
it is quiet an effort to getting the professions required to be able to utilise guns or slings, as you need firearms for guns, and sewing and cotton skills to get plant fibre to craft a sling. while spending time in salem getting food making stuff gaining skills, your phlem is increasing well before you can manage your blood and yellow stat. simply because the foods you gather vs hunting is unbalanced.

An annoyingly large number of biomes actually have no milkweed whatsoever (Autumnal, Coniferous, Savanna, Badlands...), but given that he managed to get his phlegm up really high, I suspect that might not be a problem (unless he did it with nothing but rabbits).
Low FPS? Love Pixels? Try my new graphics pack! It's Pixelicious. :)
Compost Bin purity formula: Now doing science to earthworms
Hans_Lemurson

Postby Snowpig » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:34 pm

you can find milkweed around Boston if you are desperate for some...just not let yourself get shot at.
In feudalism, it's your count that votes...
Snowpig

Postby Sarge » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 pm

As a noob, I spent quite a bit of time on attacking bunnies and crickets this weekend. Despite those that disagreed with my request to not make bunnies and crickets run away, here is my opinion on the matter.

The early game, as was the case with HnH, is actually quite challenging and from a personal point of view, it is one of the more enjoyable parts of the game. Not all of it though.

Your primary focus in early game is getting your claim up to 1) try and secure your belongings and 2) massively improve your toon's safety. In Salem, you need silver to do so and if you don't buy it, you need to find it and hunting crickets is a massive part of this. Having to take down 11 crickets to make up a team to sell I found to be adequately challenging. Now, however, you have to run around with a sling to 1st try and aggro a cricket so that you can then try and take it down.

A couple of comments from an early game point of view in this regard:

- It is MUCH harder to take crickets down like this for a noob (contrary to a comment from someone who said it was easier) and it adds no element of fun.
- You now need to walk around with a sling PURELY for the purpose of aggroing animals, since you can't 'stalk' them anymore. After aggroing you will simply revert right back to basic melee attacks as the sling offers nothing else... the damage output just does not compete to make it an option.

I imagine that the 2nd bullet point applies to later game as well, maybe just with a musket?

So, the only thing that the perma-defensive stance (or whatever it is called) of animals achieves, at least in early game, is to complicate hunting and I'm sure that this is not what the dev's intended with this mechanic.

I hear the arguments that bunnies and crickets should run and from a realism point of view I could hardly agree more, but from a gameplay, fun and sensible gaming mechanics point of view, I don't.

Imo, this needs tweaking/fixing... at least for early game.
Nixman wrote:Hard to tell sometimes whats intended and whats a bug.

MrGemini wrote:he even falled on his knees, to make his prayer more louder!
Sarge

Postby m4sCaRpWn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Sarge: I did not hunt one animal until I had my claim, expanded it a few times, and built a house and a makeshift fence. Then I started going for crickets. I did this all in 2 days. Don't try to tell me hunting is necessary for establishing yourself (because it isn't).

How'd I do this? I went straight for Indian Tracking and made Savage Charms to sell. Easy source of money, and a nice low-pressure way to start out as a n00b. Again, I made enough doing this to have an expanded claim in 2 days.

Then, once you have your claim established, go for Backalley Pugilism, get stomp, and agro with that. Still works after the update. Piece of cake.
The sweat and blood shed by its people had established a strong foundation upon which the most powerful entity in the world would be built.
m4sCaRpWn

Postby Sarge » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

m4sCaRpWn wrote:... stomp, and agro with that. Still works after the update. Piece of cake.

Sweet, thanks dude.
Nixman wrote:Hard to tell sometimes whats intended and whats a bug.

MrGemini wrote:he even falled on his knees, to make his prayer more louder!
Sarge

Postby Mereni » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

m4sCaRpWn wrote:get stomp, and agro with that. Still works after the update. Piece of cake.

It doesn't really still work after the update. I went out with a sling and did a lot of hunting of rabbits and crickets for awhile after the update and I found that you CAN sometimes stomp them, but not always. It helps if you run them against a cliff or something so that their random 'run away' pathing can cause them to turn around and run towards you instead of away. When I made a concentrated effort to only use stomp to agro, I managed to hit about 40% of the time and wasted a lot of YB doing it. A newbie with low humors will have a hard time keeping YB high enough to do reasonable damage.
Mereni

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements