Game Development: A Prayer in a Dark Place

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: A Prayer in a Dark Place

Postby akamber » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 pm

New argopelter can appear in packs of up to 5(!!) creatures. Needless to say, I did not check if they have a pack like behavior if attacked, but they can be lured away if they attack you first. Got hit by one stone for ~23ish damage. At this time I cannot say definitively if pack size is based upon darkness level, but it *might* be casually related.
akamber

Postby Ornery » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:04 pm

colesie wrote:Can't murder yet based on their answer in the livestream, but murdering creatures will be coming very soon

My badgering of them in the livestream worked! Every time a lowbie permadies from a creature, the wind will whisper my name before he gets logged out. I can't wait :)
<milonti> Psshh, tears are tier 5 products.

America confirmed winning since 1776
Ornery

Postby Mereni » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Are we really going to have creatures that murder? I hope not.
Mereni

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Mereni wrote:Are we really going to have creatures that murder? I hope not.

It's not hard to avoid the darkness or simply spread the light. What's wrong with a bit of danger for the adventurous? =)
TeckXKnight

Postby Tomki » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Great work on the update! This game is eating all my freetime now..

Haven't come across with the new birds yet. Seems like they really are rare.. One question regarding churches though. As someone posted earlier and from my own experiment they are *very* expensive especially for hermits. Do the nearby villages' churches have some light radius effect on surrounding area? Maybe it's time to apply for a job as a village idiot :)
Tomki

Postby logan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:44 am

Prayer in a Dark Place

jorb wrote:
Churches. Build them.

Enjoy!

Restoring balance with each new update :D
logan

Postby Mereni » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:51 am

Tomki wrote:Great work on the update! This game is eating all my freetime now..

Haven't come across with the new birds yet. Seems like they really are rare.. One question regarding churches though. As someone posted earlier and from my own experiment they are *very* expensive especially for hermits. Do the nearby villages' churches have some light radius effect on surrounding area? Maybe it's time to apply for a job as a village idiot :)

They're probably not meant for little settlements. Do many hermits live in the darkness?
Mereni

Postby rodrigoq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:57 am

Wournos wrote:
Myrdred wrote:as for the camera, when it was introduced I remember jorb saying that this is was the way HE wants it so I wouldn't expect any changes on that front, I almost fell sorry for the noobs....
....on second though, I don't care, let them rage quit after a day or two :)
we could get some way of making glass you know....

There goes the increase of new players so many wants to make this game flourish.

#1 reason salem will fail to attract new players. Devs trying to force a ****** camera on players. Players have spoken clearly on this. YOUR camera sucks ass, Ender's camera is what everyone wants. New players get the ****** default client, and leave before they even make a new char, unless they make a char, wander about and decide to quit 5 mins later.

Yay! For open beta.. same as closed beta.. so no real change, except the name. Wasted opportunity to increase player base IMO. Bad client, and old CB servers. EXACTLY what every new player wants! Oh wait.. they don't.. They like a fresh start where they don't have to compete vs established CB players that can and will 1-shot them. Generally what 99% of games do when they move from CB to OB.

srsly.. default clients camera is terribad, change that and maybe more players will stick.
rodrigoq

Postby robert » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 am

rodrigoq wrote:
Wournos wrote:
Myrdred wrote:as for the camera, when it was introduced I remember jorb saying that this is was the way HE wants it so I wouldn't expect any changes on that front, I almost fell sorry for the noobs....
....on second though, I don't care, let them rage quit after a day or two :)
we could get some way of making glass you know....

There goes the increase of new players so many wants to make this game flourish.

#1 reason salem will fail to attract new players. Devs trying to force a ****** camera on players. Players have spoken clearly on this. YOUR camera sucks ass, Ender's camera is what everyone wants. New players get the ****** default client, and leave before they even make a new char, unless they make a char, wander about and decide to quit 5 mins later.

Yay! For open beta.. same as closed beta.. so no real change, except the name. Wasted opportunity to increase player base IMO. Bad client, and old CB servers. EXACTLY what every new player wants! Oh wait.. they don't.. They like a fresh start where they don't have to compete vs established CB players that can and will 1-shot them. Generally what 99% of games do when they move from CB to OB.

srsly.. default clients camera is terribad, change that and maybe more players will stick.

^ the tears oh god the tears... i think the devs will be unable to do any updates for at least 2 weeks from all these tears...

salem is an MMO (sorta) so there is no such thing as "fresh start" where there are/will be no older players. while i agree the default camra sucks it hurts my eyes. nothing forces anyone to use it, besides most people would research the game before playing it so will find out pretty fast that enders is the client to use. if they dont learn that within 20seconds of googling the game (or reading any of the bazillian threads/posts/sites on the game) well... most likely they would be scalped by someone pretty bloody fast and have quit anyway.

i researched HnH before i played it and learned pretty quick to use enders there. same with here, though i started with default and went to BD (as enders didnt work when i started) now i only use enders. like 99.999999% of the players on salem. not hard to learn early on to use it
robert

Postby rodrigoq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:49 am

No tears from me. Just stating that the devs have wasted a good opportunity advertizing their OB, by completely ***** it up. I think they are incompetent, or their publisher is incompetent and/or retarded. On most sites, the "free beta keys" were advertised on a banner or link, to Salems main page.... You DL it, and you play. Majority of players who come in thru beta keys get the default client, give the game a quick try, and decide if it's **** or not within the first 5 mins of playing. As we can see, most new players think this game is ****, otherwise they would have stuck around. Also plenty of player reviews that state Salem is is garbage and to be avoided. Current version isn't worthy of OB status, looks and plays more like a pre-alpha of something from 1999.
rodrigoq

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements