Game Development: In the Shadow of Pixels

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: In the Shadow of Pixels

Postby Gallient » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am

Mushibag wrote:
Gallient wrote:Obviously I'm not the only one who believes that's not too much to ask. If the principle of the counter-argument is simply a belief that customers should have no expectation than that is much different from most of the "you deserved it because..." posts.

The principle of my counter-argument is a belief that people understand what the beta phase of a game's development is. When a customer is establishing their expectations, they should factor that into their decision making process. I'm not saying that you shouldn't cry about a change that you don't like (tears fuel this game's development), but rather that you shouldn't cry about the loss of real money purchases. If you purchased something, you did so knowing that changes occur in the beta phase of a game's development, and those changes could affect any investments (time or money) that you've made in the game world.

I never QQ'd about loss of purchases, only stated I'm a paying customer with expectations. I QQ because I don't think a warning is out of the question especially when a pay store does indeed exist. Change is expected, nuking without warning is unnecessary and since they have indeed warned stall owners about major changes it is certainly not out of the realm of their capabilities.

I'm not about to quit and I've already built just as many new fields above ground in my defended claim as I had in the mine. So all I've personally lost is a few points from my last purity gains and some nifty organization I had going in the mine. If I was going to rage quit I would already be with the masses of former players quitting over previous issues. Salem has already chewed through most its effortlessly acquired niche playerbase, it is easily accessible and whether you personally believe it or not, a pay store does have the side effect of customer expectations which would not otherwise be present in a beta. There is no mythical line of niche customers out there anxiously awaiting to fill the servers up to capacity. Anyone who has heard of it and wants to play it has played it, and if they are quitting over something that could have been mitigated by simply taking a minute to post a warning... That is the essence of why I'm bothering here, its not as if I expect a harp to play while jorbtar descends from the heavens to bestow replacement seeds.
Gallient

Postby Champie4 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:45 am

Ass_Kraken wrote:
Champie4 wrote:
Mushibag wrote:Yes, that's exactly what we need, another reason to delay updates.

Nice try. You think after months of the 1-tile field bug jorbtar just decided to pull the fix out of their asses one day?

:lol:

Look at this guy.

Are you retarded?
Champie4

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 am

Champie4 wrote:Are you retarded?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't just an alt, and excuse how you think jorbtar run things seeing how your account is only 10 days old.
Ass_Kraken

Postby Champie4 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:54 am

Ass_Kraken wrote:
Champie4 wrote:Are you retarded?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't just an alt, and excuse how you think jorbtar run things seeing how your account is only 10 days old.

I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that I have several accounts (Champie, Champie2, Champie3, Champie4) I have been playing since Nov 10. I didn't know that sensible comments were restricted to enlightened veterans only. You should pay more attention to content and reason than to your post count and join date.
Champie4

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:06 am

I was more directed at how you think jorbtar's development process isn't sessions of loftar being whipped and/or sexified by jorb while jorb says ""wouldn't it be cool if...", followed by 3 seconds of coding as jorb needs to rest his whipping hand every few hours is due to how long you've played the game, but I see that the root of your ignorance is elsewhere.

Ass_Kraken

Postby Champie4 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:18 am

Ass_Kraken wrote:I was more directed at how you think jorbtar's development process isn't sessions of loftar being whipped and/or sexified by jorb while jorb says ""wouldn't it be cool if...", followed by 3 seconds of coding as jorb needs to rest his whipping hand every few hours is due to how long you've played the game, but I see that the root of your ignorance is elsewhere.

Cool story bro.
Champie4

Postby Mereni » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 am

They shouldn't have to warn us for fixing known bugs, or even making any other changes. Doesn't matter if we've bought things in the store. I've played in games that are already commercial releases with monthly pay that fixed bugs without warning.

This being a beta, they are constantly making changes and do not have to 'warn' us about any of them. They already come in here and post threads about the new changes when they are made. It was nice of them to do it the one time with the stalls, but don't expect it.
Mereni

Postby MrGemini » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:14 am

colesie wrote:
Smurphy wrote:How do you update...

*Before anyone takes this comment and runs with it*

MR GEMINI. THIS COMMENT WAS NOT FUNNY! IT WILL NEVER BE FUNNY. IT DOES NOT NEED AN IRC CHANNEL, OR A THREAD WITH COMICS. THANK YOU.

Also the server is down atm so you can't play until Jorb is done wrecking our bases

U mean "Hoe maek Fire"?
We have a facebook group too. And a homepage. And hopefully soon an emote from the allmighty Jorb God! ¦]
Oh btw - i have to contact Pinky & Brain so we can rule the world with that soon.
But ure right, How do you update is good also. but never as good as HOW MAKE FIRE.
Greetings, Gemini & Tinkababe

raven wrote:HOW MAKE FIRE ? I TRAY DIFFERENT WAY BUT I CANT MAKE FIRE
Gallient wrote:YOU NEED ASK JORB GOD MAKE FIRE, FIRE FALL FROM SKY FIRE BURN FOREST.
MrGemini

Postby Yasso » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am

colesie wrote:

MR GEMINI. THIS COMMENT WAS NOT FUNNY! IT WILL NEVER BE FUNNY. IT DOES NOT NEED AN IRC CHANNEL, OR A THREAD WITH COMICS. THANK YOU.

Lrn2fire, coles
Yasso

Postby L33LEE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:40 am

Otis wrote:
Champie4 wrote:Good grief, you miss the point entirely in a frantic effort call people out as whiners when the point of the argument is related to NOTIFICATION of impending changes. If you can't critically think, don't respond.

Bingo - is it really that hard to share more with us? One more line on the "We are changing stalls" post that included "Farm fix coming".

From my perspective the DEV's intent was to punish the 1x1 users. They want tears....

Everyone has known for months that the fields would be fixed. There should not need to be a warning, it was coming, we all knew it was coming, only *******'s used the 1x1 fields, they are even more dumb for complaining about it after the removal also.

Also they did want tears, i would love to know the # of fields which got nuked, bet it was in the xx,xxx's

PS: I lost a total of 0 fields. Which makes it even more sweet when i see people complaining about this.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements