Game Development: In the Shadow of Pixels

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: In the Shadow of Pixels

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Gallient wrote: nuking without warning

There was ample warning. That you did not see it, or did not pay attention is irrelevant.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby Champie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm

tweenprinc3ss wrote:

There was ample warning. That you did not see it, or did not pay attention is irrelevant.

How about another well known bug/unintended feature... Cupboards that reside outside of a building? If you woke up tomorrow to find that the devs nuked those, would you think that it would have been nice to have an IMMEDIATE PRIOR OFFICIAL WARNING?

rumor, speculation, actionless threats over months is not the same thing as an official announcement of game environment changes. You know that, right?
Champie

Postby Kandarim » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Champie wrote:
tweenprinc3ss wrote:

How about another well known bug/unintended feature... Cupboards that reside outside of a building? If you woke up tomorrow to find that the devs nuked those, would you think that it would have been nice to have an IMMEDIATE PRIOR OFFICIAL WARNING?

rumor, speculation, actionless threats over months is not the same thing as an official announcement of game environment changes. You know that, right?

which is exactly why I stopped using cupboards & built sheds as soon as they were released
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Champie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Kandarim wrote:which is exactly why I stopped using cupboards & built sheds as soon as they were released

I agree with that wholeheartedly. Personally, I have all the oiled boards I need to build several sheds, but I haven't determined whether I want to expand my existing claim, maintain multiple small claims (as I do now) or consolidate somewhere else on the map with friends. I'm generally an indecisive person who needs a thorough plan and preparation lead time. In the meantime, I have utilized a few Open Air Cupboards while I organize my items and my thinking. I'd really appreciate if the Devs didn't penalize me for thoughtful, but slow acting game play utilizing existing game mechanics. What many well-intentioned players would like is a little notice of such environment changes. It seems like good policy to make sincere efforts at minimizing public shock.

The same thing happened to 3 of my fields. My fenced area was 1 tile too small for 9 fields, so I overlapped 3 fields by 1 tile so I could get some farming started in that area, knowing I would be moving or expanding. It was not a big deal, so the devs went thirsty waiting for my tears, but I still think that the devs demonstrated poor customer relations by not giving prior warning.

I don't think anyone wants to hear any more about all this, but my responses in this thread were motivated by people who chatter like monkeys.
Champie

Postby Champie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:29 pm

I've been thinking about my request for prior announcements. I've concluded that I think I was wrong in this case, though I do understand both sides of the issue. In conclusion, I retract my position in this thread and contently accept the decisions of the devs.

Happy Salem!
Champie

Postby L33LEE » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Champie wrote:I've been thinking about my request for prior announcements. I've concluded that I think I was wrong in this case, though I do understand both sides of the issue. In conclusion, I retract my position in this thread and contently accept the decisions of the devs.

Happy Salem!

He finally gets it.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby Ornery » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 pm

People admitting they were wrong on the forums? What has this game come to?!
<milonti> Psshh, tears are tier 5 products.

America confirmed winning since 1776
Ornery

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Champie wrote:I've been thinking about my request for prior announcements. I've concluded that I think I was wrong in this case, though I do understand both sides of the issue. In conclusion, I retract my position in this thread and contently accept the decisions of the devs.

Happy Salem!

Your awesome!
tweenprinc3ss

Previous

Return to Announcements