Game Development: Home is where I Hang my Hat

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Home is where I Hang my Hat

Postby Procne » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Mereni wrote:Yes, the fact that walls won't do anything for you if you don't have braziers. If he'd had a few in that inner area, they might have gotten in with that fence trick, considering they were able to build the split rail right there next to the wall, but they would have had a much harder time with the three walls I see beyond that.

Much harder than what? With this update the next 3 inner walls count as one. Actually, maybe even less - raiders can walk to it without firing up braziers, build stick fence and then nuke it. Even if it doesn't destroy stone hedge completely it will greatly weaken it. Then raiders can just nuke weakened sections causing chain reaction
Outer walls count as nothing since they can be destroyed without even triggering braziers. I'm not sure what your point is. It seems that walls have suddenly become weaker than before x4 buff
Procne

Postby staxjax » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Walls stacked within the splash ranges of one another did become weaker, and I think that was the intention...to deter wall spam.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Mereni » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Procne wrote:
Mereni wrote:Yes, the fact that walls won't do anything for you if you don't have braziers. If he'd had a few in that inner area, they might have gotten in with that fence trick, considering they were able to build the split rail right there next to the wall, but they would have had a much harder time with the three walls I see beyond that.

Much harder than what? With this update the next 3 inner walls count as one. Actually, maybe even less - raiders can walk to it without firing up braziers, build stick fence and then nuke it. Even if it doesn't destroy stone hedge completely it will greatly weaken it. Then raiders can just nuke weakened sections causing chain reaction
Outer walls count as nothing since they can be destroyed without even triggering braziers. I'm not sure what your point is. It seems that walls have suddenly become weaker than before x4 buff

Stick fence, like a makeshift fence? Those don't do splash damage, but destroying one on someone's claim would trigger the braziers. Building a split rail and trying to destroy it on a claim would also cause the braziers to start firing immediately. Is building something considered a crime? Because that might mean you start getting fired on even sooner. If someone had to go through a spit rail fence, and three stone fences at 75% or so damage, that still counts as more than one stone wall worth. One wall that is buffed to much more than it was a few weeks ago, under fire from super buffed braziers (if you build them). I don't see what there is to complain about.
Mereni

Postby firefox2026 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:04 am

It just takes time to develop a base and it wasn't finished yet and unfortunately we were found. Some of us have to work in real life for a living ya know. lol. Anyways it looks like the best plan is to start fresh, since all these changes with the wall mechanics. Putting walls next to each other doesn't seem to make sense anymore from the sounds of it. Of course yeah a wall of brazers would be good too just been too many things to keep up with. etc.
firefox2026

Postby staxjax » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:06 am

Building a split-rail fence within brazier range would activate them. I agree with Mereni, to an extent. Pretty much, these ppl complaining about being raided because of splash damage dont have any kind of brazier defenses whatsoever and I don't count 10 braziers as sufficient defenses either.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby firefox2026 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 am

staxjax wrote:Building a split-rail fence within brazier range would activate them. I agree with Mereni, to an extent. Pretty much, these ppl complaining about being raided because of splash damage dont have any kind of brazier defenses whatsoever and I don't count 10 braziers as sufficient defenses either.

yeah if I wall of brazers would have made the difference then its OK with me I just wanted to bring it to peoples attention in case it wasn't quite intended.

Edit: I should say however adding the splash damage does seem to sort of penalize people who built assuming the previous game mechanics if it does make walls more penetrable overall.
firefox2026

Postby Dallane » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 am

Mereni wrote:
Dallane wrote:
Mereni wrote:That's a nice lack of braziers you have going on there.

and that has anything to do with the topic?

Yes, the fact that walls won't do anything for you if you don't have braziers. If he'd had a few in that inner area, they might have gotten in with that fence trick, considering they were able to build the split rail right there next to the wall, but they would have had a much harder time with the three walls I see beyond that.

Braziers have what to do with splash?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Mushibag » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:24 am

Braziers are the new pr0 wallz. Never building a stonehedge again, only brazier walls and a stick fence.
Mushibag

Postby Ass_Kraken » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 am

Mushibag wrote:Braziers are the new pr0 wallz. Never building a stonehedge again, only brazier walls and a stick fence.

Are there brazier walls around your brazier walls around your stick walls around your brazier walls?
Ass_Kraken

Postby Mereni » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 am

Dallane wrote:
Mereni wrote:
Dallane wrote:and that has anything to do with the topic?

Yes, the fact that walls won't do anything for you if you don't have braziers. If he'd had a few in that inner area, they might have gotten in with that fence trick, considering they were able to build the split rail right there next to the wall, but they would have had a much harder time with the three walls I see beyond that.

Braziers have what to do with splash?

Rumor has it, they shoot at people standing on a Pclaim committing waste crimes. How many months has it been since you actually played?
Mereni

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements