Game Development: Love Redux

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Love Redux

Postby clouddog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Ass_Kraken wrote:You need summoning in the tracking system because then people can just toss their homestead away from their own home and you have no clue where they are.

If u have a scent lasting forever untill this guy is dead u can still track him whenever u want,however long u want, homestead or not.
and about the ""When I am tracking someone the last thing I want is to let him know about that, so "add kin" would be stupid from my point of view"""
does not have to be a kin list,can be any list that shows when the guy loggs in and ofc the one ur tracking/adding should not get any msg Darno has added u to his bubblegum list or whatever.
In a situation like this a HV would still keep u safe when logging out due to making it hard for players to get to u making u safe when logging in.
But ofc if you need to really fight instead of summoning someone and kill them u might need to know what ur doing so i guess its a bad idea t oadd skill or tactics into combat.
We never left, We just lay low and the lower we lay we stay connected and make dough.
clouddog

Postby dreadlus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:11 pm

I think that a game mechanic that forces you to build several walls to be able to defend yourself is a really bad mechanic =|

It's true this is a game, and sometimes games need to work a little different than reality for things to work out correctly... However, games should also be straightforward when it comes to letting you achieve a certain objective, the action you need to take in order to reach that objective should feel really natural to the player. When someone wants to raise the defense on their claim, the most natural thing they'll think of is (given the options presented by the game) building a wall to keep raiders out. Of course there are different kinds of walls, that offer different kinds of protection. But no one should feel they have to build more than one layer of wall to get protection.

I'm not saying that any claims with a wall should be safe against raiders, because that would just make having different types of walls irrelevant. What I'm saying is, as you make progress in the game, you should get to a point where you get a form of defense that makes it really hard for a raider to get past it and attack what's yours without having to resort to what feels like exploiting the mechanics (also, the difficulty of breaching the defense should be proportional to the difficulty of raising such level of defense, at any given level).

So I think that there should be types of wall that even highly developed characters should not be able to destroy barehanded, solo and even in groups. I actually liked the ram system from HnH, but I can see this kind of wall system working perfectly fine with waste claims. Raiding should be a more meaningful mechanic, requiring more planning, effort and investment, and thus making the end result alot more rewarding if successful. Let's see how these changes even out the difficulty between working for your own stuff and raiding in order to have them, although I believe more changes will be needed for that to happen.

Looking foward to the next update!
dreadlus

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:09 pm

The easiest way to get rid of wall layer spam would be making walls block brazier fire, excluding tiles adjacent to the brazier so you can still have one wall layer.

As for removing summoning, good luck camping a murder alt that's online for just a couple of hours a month.
Potjeh

Postby darnokpl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Potjeh wrote:The easiest way to get rid of wall layer spam would be making walls block brazier fire, excluding tiles adjacent to the brazier so you can still have one wall layer.

Good idea or brazier dmg and range can be reduced by walls... so first layer no reduction, each layer after that -30% dmg and -5 tiles range :)
But we would need walls buff again.
darnokpl

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:30 pm

darnokpl wrote:
Potjeh wrote:The easiest way to get rid of wall layer spam would be making walls block brazier fire, excluding tiles adjacent to the brazier so you can still have one wall layer.

Good idea or brazier dmg and range can be reduced by walls... so first layer no reduction, each layer after that -30% dmg and -5 tiles range :)

They just rebuffed the walls...
tweenprinc3ss

Postby darnokpl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:40 pm

tweenprinc3ss wrote:
darnokpl wrote:

They just rebuffed the walls...

I know, but having only 1 wall would make that buff weak imho?
And do we still need 2-3 scents to trigger braziers? If so then single wall would be terrible solution.
darnokpl

Postby JinxDevona » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:36 pm

tweenprinc3ss wrote:
darnokpl wrote:

I know, but having only 1 wall would make that buff weak imho?
And do we still need 2-3 scents to trigger braziers? If so then single wall would be terrible solution.

I think that could help with wall spamming, making braziers trigger on the first wall. It makes no sense that it takes three anyways.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby dageir » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Removing scents alltogehter would add to the paranoia. Maybe keep the signs of criminal acts, but make it so it cant be used for tracking. Then you would be able to see that there was a thief here, but you have no idea where he is now. Was it my neighbour? Was it a random guy passing by? Combined with withcraft the paranoia would build sky high.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby dreadlus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 pm

JinxDevona wrote:I think that could help with wall spamming, making braziers trigger on the first wall. It makes no sense that it takes three anyways.

This. Braziers are like guard towers for claims... It's stupid that they "overlook" the first 2 crimes before attacking a perpetrator. I could imagine them not attacking after one trespassing crime, but anything more than that should be considered a big enough threat and therefore trigger brazier defense.
dreadlus

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:07 pm

dreadlus wrote:
JinxDevona wrote:I think that could help with wall spamming, making braziers trigger on the first wall. It makes no sense that it takes three anyways.

This. Braziers are like guard towers for claims... It's stupid that they "overlook" the first 2 crimes before attacking a perpetrator. I could imagine them not attacking after one trespassing crime, but anything more than that should be considered a big enough threat and therefore trigger brazier defense.

If they trigger in 1 hit, some just hit wall once, then wait for brazier to run out of coal.
tweenprinc3ss

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements