Game Development: Love Redux

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Love Redux

Postby staxjax » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm

lol, wait for brazier to run out of coal...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby JinxDevona » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 pm

tweenprinc3ss wrote:
dreadlus wrote:
JinxDevona wrote:I think that could help with wall spamming, making braziers trigger on the first wall. It makes no sense that it takes three anyways.

This. Braziers are like guard towers for claims... It's stupid that they "overlook" the first 2 crimes before attacking a perpetrator. I could imagine them not attacking after one trespassing crime, but anything more than that should be considered a big enough threat and therefore trigger brazier defense.

If they trigger in 1 hit, some just hit wall once, then wait for brazier to run out of coal.

They can do that on the third wall right now. Makes no difference if braziers trigger on first wall and they hit first wall and they wait for them to run out or if they trigger on third wall and they bash through 2 walls, hit the third, and wait for braziers to run out. Only difference is the amount of walls, not the action itself. We should not have to have three walls.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby logan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:37 pm

JinxDevona wrote: We should not have to have three walls.

the waste claim is imo a great first step to that problem. The only other solution and it was suggested before was to allow reeforcing existing walls.

so instead of someone building a second wall you would simply reenforce with the same material requirements as it was initially built. i thought it was a good idea because you would never know by looking at a wall if it was reeforced like a row of 4 or 1.

since you need to use the same requirements as the original it's realy just like stacking walls "inside" each wall instead of 1 square over. wouln't change the mechanics, your char would bash as he normally does destroying the stack individually as thought it was a row of 4 or whatever.
logan

Postby Dallane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 pm

staxjax wrote:lol, wait for brazier to run out of coal...

It works fairly well amiright?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby FutureForJames » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:04 am

Dallane wrote:
staxjax wrote:lol, wait for brazier to run out of coal...

It works fairly well amiright?

Yes, it definitely works "fairly" well, because "fair" in this case is for that method to be practically useless, so yeah I agree with you (no sarcasm).
FutureForJames

Postby keygamer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:45 am

I was just wondering for the next update if you could include a little more java information for the user. For the past few days I've been wondering why I can't connect to Salem. I finally figured out it's because Java was trying to load a 64-bit DLL when I am using a 32 bit version of Java (Because of Google Chrome). The only error I was receiving from Salem was "Could not connect to server." I found out this was the reason when I tried playing another game and it gave me that error.
keygamer

Postby Mereni » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:56 am

logan wrote:
JinxDevona wrote:The only other solution and it was suggested before was to allow reeforcing existing walls.

so instead of someone building a second wall you would simply reenforce with the same material requirements as it was initially built. i thought it was a good idea because you would never know by looking at a wall if it was reeforced like a row of 4 or 1.

That's interesting, but if you can't tell by looking at it how much it's reinforced, how can you tell when you're doing it where you left off on reinforcing your wall?
Mereni

Postby dreadlus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:19 am

Mereni wrote:
logan wrote:
JinxDevona wrote:The only other solution and it was suggested before was to allow reeforcing existing walls.

That's interesting, but if you can't tell by looking at it how much it's reinforced, how can you tell when you're doing it where you left off on reinforcing your wall?

What if reinforcing walls worked more like upgrading them? If you had a split rail fence and wanted to build a stone hedge, you would simply start building over the previous wall. You would be replacing your current wall with a better one, using the same tiles as the previous (without having to destroy it), and it would cost you as much as building a new stone hedge outside/inside your first walls. The problem right now is that having the old wall + the new one gives more protection than replacing one for the other... SO for that to be an attractive option it would probably need to 1) cost less materials to upgrade or 2) cost the same as building from scratch and give better protection than having 2 adjacent walls (maybe through diminishing returns for each additional layer of wall or some sort of upgrading bonus).
dreadlus

Postby robert » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 pm

dreadlus wrote:
What if reinforcing walls worked more like upgrading them? If you had a split rail fence and wanted to build a stone hedge, you would simply start building over the previous wall. You would be replacing your current wall with a better one, using the same tiles as the previous (without having to destroy it), and it would cost you as much as building a new stone hedge outside/inside your first walls. The problem right now is that having the old wall + the new one gives more protection than replacing one for the other... SO for that to be an attractive option it would probably need to 1) cost less materials to upgrade or 2) cost the same as building from scratch and give better protection than having 2 adjacent walls (maybe through diminishing returns for each additional layer of wall or some sort of upgrading bonus).

that might be alittle harder to code in to the game. personally im not a fan of having to build a wall then upgrade it with something else. it would be nice to beable to do, but unless it had a bonus attached it seems pointless.

perhaps if a split rail fence was say 100hp per tile and a stone is 200hp per tile. and you upgrade a split rail to stone you pay 2x the cost to build the stone (so wall tile is 2 granite 6 stone instead of 1/3) but it would be 300hp per tile OR even 250hp per tile, but it would have a graphic of a stone wall with woodplanks going crisscrossed on it like the old haphazard repairs you see on Fallout type buildings.. so a person walking by would know that wall had increased hp. ofcourse if you build plank ontop of stone it would i guess have a stone ground boarder or perhaps a stone top on the points instead of the picket fence style walls... then maybe it might be worth while :/ but there would have to be some extra cost and bonus to do it.. other wise you are better off just explanding the claim and building a fresh wall instead. there by gaining double or quad the protection of that single wall you want to upgrade.
robert

Postby valv » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Great news!

Keep up the good work yall.
valv

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements