Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Postby firefox2026 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 am

I hope this will at least balance the playing field some for us peaceful folk. I guess we won't know how it works out until us guinea pigs mess with it. Hopefully they can tweak things as needed, but I didn't think it was quite fair one mega toon can take out almost everything you have without warning.

BTW: I wish you guys would just hire Ender.. lol Every time I get forced back on the default client I find out how much the vanilla client needs a lot of work. Its at least better than it was at first at least.
firefox2026

Postby loftar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:What scares me, is you guys implementing game changing mechanics that have no basis in reality.

True as that may be, this is one of those things that simply don't match reality to begin with. If people played this game 24 hours/day, as they do RL, we wouldn't need this change. :)
loftar

Postby welkyr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am

loftar wrote:To be fair, I was kind of hoping that this change could open up for actual "slick thief" mechanics, like some mechanic to climb over walls (and/or pick locks) and sneak around and steal stuff without having to do a full-blown raid.

DO THIS!!!

If you implement that then this current patch will actually be a decent system. as it stands this system makes the noobs without any walls or pclaims the ones who will get picked on now. and while I like the system because I'm lazy and don't have many walls, I think you would have been better off with the ram system where they can be hidden and still be a surprise attack. As it stands, a pclaim with a single branch fence will be enough to hold off most lazy attackers. Hurts the noobiest of noobs, who are the ones you actually need to be trying to retain to make this game a commercial success.

A good example of this mechanic in action is EVE Onlines Null-Sec siege mechanics. Which everyone hates. hint hint.

Waiting large amounts of time is good for town sieges, but nothing else methinks, hence, bring back rams to kill town walls, soft cap humours so that higher tier walls can't be bashed by hand, and allow smaller sized claims to be bashed into, but don't allow destruction of property other than walls.

there's my 2 cents
Last edited by welkyr on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
welkyr

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:48 am

firefox2026 wrote: but I didn't think it was quite fair one mega toon can take out almost everything you have without warning.

I totally agree with this. Beef up towns, give them some reason to be useful, and worth the 4bajillion silver per day upkeep! Make people siege towns, but leave the p claims alone. This would totally give purpose to building a town, while still leaving some element out there for players without the cash for that kind of security.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby thearosen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 am

Rostak wrote:
thearosen wrote:Used to be that raiders have the advantage, now it's the defenders. Someone will always have the advantage, stop b*tching just because it isn't you and start thinking of ways to MAKE yourself an advantage.

no, defenders have always had the advantage. the problem came from garbage players like yourself that thought a wooden fence and two torchposts was "defense" so you all hemmed and hawed and pissed and moaned until they made it so. Also, I suck entirely that I can't raid someone without them being an utter noob with only split rail fences<fixed

"garbage players like myself" Interesting aspect. Tell me good sir, what dost a garbage player do? Also, not my fault you have the IQ of a worm that you can't come up with some creative way to overcome your obstacles, but what can I expect from a 12 year old sockpuppet?
thearosen

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 am

loftar wrote:True as that may be, this is one of those things that simply don't match reality to begin with. If people played this game 24 hours/day, as they do RL, we wouldn't need this change. :)

At times, I would if I could. However, I will challenge this by saying, in real life, things are just as scary as in Salem. When a thief robs your house, you may or may not be in it. If the thief does some legwork, scopes your habits, he can very well time his attack for when you are at work all day. There is no warning for these circumstances, and the real choice is made by the thief. How does this system make up for the fact that people live in the real world for 24 hours a day, but they can not do the same in Salem? I could maybe see something like this working, if you shaved 10 hours off of the time for the pclaim setup and activation. 18 hours is far to long, 4 hours of time that the claim is useless but also becomes breakable. it already took a thief like myself 4-5 hours to get into a single stone walled claim and get some goodies off of it. Now for a game, this is a pretty sizable amount of time already. NOw you are adding a possible 4 hours to the process to say nothing about destroying the realism of your game.

--I hope I dont sound *****, I just want this game to kick ass, not get funked up and go bye bye. I want noobs to have a fair chance, while still allowing for a wide range of nastiness!
Last edited by tweenprinc3ss on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby matt3206 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:56 am

loftar wrote:
tweenprinc3ss wrote:What scares me, is you guys implementing game changing mechanics that have no basis in reality.

True as that may be, this is one of those things that simply don't match reality to begin with. If people played this game 24 hours/day, as they do RL, we wouldn't need this change. :)

Well if you really want to talk about reality and realism, then why is the game about raiding other peoples towns. We are all English settlers, they didn't go around erasing each other's colonies? Now say there were two factions, French and English, or Native Americans vs English, then I could actually look at the game in a realistic approach. :ugeek:
Xian01 wrote:***** you *******. Where the ***** do you think your first customers came from ?

Eat a bag of *****.

bigbeninlondon wrote: Little known fact; a bag of ***** contains exactly 17 *****. It is known as a "hooker's dozen".
matt3206

Postby Conqueror_Worm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 am

loftar wrote:
tweenprinc3ss wrote:As far as pclaims go, i feel it is awful. This narrows the choices I have as a player, and forces someone to be a raider to be a successful criminal. No longer can I play the role of the slick thief

To be fair, I was kind of hoping that this change could open up for actual "slick thief" mechanics, like some mechanic to climb over walls (and/or pick locks) and sneak around and steal stuff without having to do a full-blown raid.

This would be great combined with these new changes as it would also give chests with locks an actual purpose other then a "Break me" sign. Lock picking could be iffy though as there would be no more reason to destroy walls, making higher tier walls less useful.
Conqueror_Worm

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 am

matt3206 wrote: then why is the game about raiding other peoples towns

The game is not this for everyone, and I imagine, as more and more craftable buildable items are created, and more content added to the darkness, there would theoretically be many different types of roles you could fill in the game.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby matt3206 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:06 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:
matt3206 wrote: then why is the game about raiding other peoples towns

The game is not this for everyone, and I imagine, as more and more craftable buildable items are created, and more content added to the darkness, there would theoretically be many different types of roles you could fill in the game.

I mean I like the idea of pvp and taking down other people, just would make more sense and purpose if you created two factions. They could have skirmishes along the borders of their territories, and destroy border settlements. That way people who like to play that way have a place to go and people who like to trade or craft can hang out in other areas to support the people at the front.

I mean it made since in H&H your vikings thats what you do but settling the new world needs to be a struggle between the countries settling the new world not english vs english
Xian01 wrote:***** you *******. Where the ***** do you think your first customers came from ?

Eat a bag of *****.

bigbeninlondon wrote: Little known fact; a bag of ***** contains exactly 17 *****. It is known as a "hooker's dozen".
matt3206

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements