Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Postby Dallane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:I do not like Waste Claims. I do not think they make sense in any realistic way. The thing I <3 about this game is it is fairly realistic in its freedoms and choices. This is like ringing the doorbell 12 times before breaking into someones house. I fully understand the need to reign in the system somehow, but I do not agree with this choice. Town claims perhaps, as there is some possible reality to having to mobilize forces enough to attack a town, which would be detectable by said town. As far as pclaims go, i feel it is awful. This narrows the choices I have as a player, and forces someone to be a raider to be a successful criminal. No longer can I play the role of the slick thief, as there will undoubtedly be someone around to destroy my waste claim, which forces me to defend it. AND IT MAKES NO SENSE. Why would I scope out a place, find its weaknesses, and return announcing my intentions for 18 hours before acting!? Thanks for all the hard work nonetheless!

Its a good step in the right direction for seiges but yeah it makes zero sense at all. "i have to pump myself up for 18 hours to take out a rail fence"
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Conqueror_Worm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:28 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:I do not like Waste Claims. I do not think they make sense in any realistic way. The thing I <3 about this game is it is fairly realistic in its freedoms and choices. This is like ringing the doorbell 12 times before breaking into someones house. I fully understand the need to reign in the system somehow, but I do not agree with this choice. Town claims perhaps, as there is some possible reality to having to mobilize forces enough to attack a town, which would be detectable by said town. As far as pclaims go, i feel it is awful. This narrows the choices I have as a player, and forces someone to be a raider to be a successful criminal. No longer can I play the role of the slick thief, as there will undoubtedly be someone around to destroy my waste claim, which forces me to defend it. AND IT MAKES NO SENSE. Why would I scope out a place, find its weaknesses, and return announcing my intentions for 18 hours before acting!? Thanks for all the hard work nonetheless!

And in that time the hermit can simply alt store anything of value, making your entire effort pointless.
Conqueror_Worm

Postby Rostak » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:29 am

this was probably another "brilliant" loftar idea, he also brought us the previous nonsensical incarnations of the criminal/siege system and as you can see they have grown increasingly ridiculous. first we have to walk 300 miles away from the target we are attacking giving them all the time they need to rebuild everything, now this :lol:

why have braziers? why have criminal debuff? why have more than one wall?

so now we are supposed to walk away from the attack to regen humors, deal with passive brazier fire making it so you can not remain in the vicinity for more than a minute or two, AND now we also have to give a days notice that an attack is coming?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Rostak on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rostak

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:35 am

Conqueror_Worm wrote:
And in that time the hermit can simply alt store anything of value, making your entire effort pointless.

Yes. As soon as I read the patch notes my stomach got a queasy feeling. Again, I think this system makes A LOT of sense for Town Claims. It takes a lot of effort to raid a town, and Town Claims have been in need of a buff for awhile it seems. For personal claims, this just completely changed the game to a pvp wait fest. There are 4 hours where my waste claim can simply be destroyed if I am not there to defend it. Now to ensure that I have a chance to attack the claim I have to sit and watch my waste claim for 4 hours of my life, or more likely, watch the people alt store away anything worthwhile. Please don't break this game!!
tweenprinc3ss

Postby thearosen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 am

Rostak wrote:this was probably another "brilliant" loftar idea, he also brought us the previous nonsensical incarnations of the criminal/siege system and as you can see they have grown increasingly ridiculous. first we have to walk 300 miles away from the target we are attacking giving them all the time they need to rebuild everything, now this :lol:

why have braziers? why have criminal debuff? why have more than one wall?

so now we are supposed to walk away from the attack to regen humors, deal with passive brazier fire making it so you can not remain in the vicinity for more than a minute or two, AND now we also have to give a days notice that an attack is coming?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Used to be that raiders have the advantage, now it's the defenders. Someone will always have the advantage, stop b*tching just because it isn't you and start thinking of ways to MAKE yourself an advantage.
thearosen

Postby loftar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:As far as pclaims go, i feel it is awful. This narrows the choices I have as a player, and forces someone to be a raider to be a successful criminal. No longer can I play the role of the slick thief

To be fair, I was kind of hoping that this change could open up for actual "slick thief" mechanics, like some mechanic to climb over walls (and/or pick locks) and sneak around and steal stuff without having to do a full-blown raid.
loftar

Postby DragonScythe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 am

oh, "froghetti" and "jonah and the whales"
DragonScythe

Postby Rostak » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 am

thearosen wrote:Used to be that raiders have the advantage, now it's the defenders. Someone will always have the advantage, stop b*tching just because it isn't you and start thinking of ways to MAKE yourself an advantage.

no, defenders have always had the advantage. the problem came from garbage players like yourself that thought a wooden fence and two torchposts was "defense" so you all hemmed and hawed and pissed and moaned until they made it so.
Rostak

Postby Rostak » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 am

loftar wrote:
tweenprinc3ss wrote:As far as pclaims go, i feel it is awful. This narrows the choices I have as a player, and forces someone to be a raider to be a successful criminal. No longer can I play the role of the slick thief

To be fair, I was kind of hoping that this change could open up for actual "slick thief" mechanics, like some mechanic to climb over walls and sneak around and steal stuff without having to do a full-blown raid.

you heard it here first folks.

incoming next patch, grappling hooks and the era of climbing over walls in 5 minutes to force summon your enemies that managed to destroy the first gate of your wall after sitting on their ass for 18 hours to do so.
Rostak

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 am

loftar wrote:

To be fair, I was kind of hoping that this change could open up for actual "slick thief" mechanics, like some mechanic to climb over walls and sneak around and steal stuff without having to do a full-blown raid.

I would love for something like that! What scares me, is you guys implementing game changing mechanics that have no basis in reality. Beefing up braziers, I get it. Toughening walls, I get it. Some strange waste indicator flashing beacon of an impending criminal act happening sometime between 5pm and 10pm sunday evening doesnt make sense to me at all. Now, if your intentions are the completely revamp the entire thieving mechanics, do it, but do it at once please. Now, as a thief, the one thing i enjoyed the most about this game, i am pretty much facked for the time being.

--I want to add, Again thank you guys for doing a ton of work on this game. It has been a blast, and I do not regret the 100-150$ my buddies and I have payed into Salem. Unforgiving, Lovecraftian, pilgrims. Even if it goes to **** tonight, you guys deserve a lot of credit!
Last edited by tweenprinc3ss on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tweenprinc3ss

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements