Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Quit focusing on hardcaps of such small numbers. The raid system should be designed with the average warrior being around 400-500 humors as, once we get some sort of alchemy in place, it'll be easy to create warrior alts of those numbers. And that's probably on the low end.

The purity system is designed to get up to a 10x multiplier to stats. With some of the best food in the game having base gluttony values of upwards to 30, I can easily see hitting 1000+ humors.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Myrdred » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm starting to think that this is never going to happen. The situation you described was supposedly present in the alpha. Now every type of food in game with the sole exception of cabbage crumbs has some purity cap, usually in the form of 0% water. Remember that when turkeys were first introduced you could raise their purity, the devs removed that soon after they realized their mistake.

As I see it the whole system is being designed with the actual cap being somewhere in between 300 to 500 humors at the far extreme.

Just think abut it, no matter what you want too craft there is always something with no more than 0% purity, you can't really raise the purity of potted plants by more then 10 maybe 11% since the water is the handicap, same with all the baking, every foraged item is 0% as well as all the meat.

The most real draw back of this is that there really is no real incentive to plant treas raise turkey and I suppose few people will be interested in husbandry for the same reason.
Myrdred

Postby robert » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Quit focusing on hardcaps of such small numbers. The raid system should be designed with the average warrior being around 400-500 humors as, once we get some sort of alchemy in place, it'll be easy to create warrior alts of those numbers. And that's probably on the low end.

The purity system is designed to get up to a 10x multiplier to stats. With some of the best food in the game having base gluttony values of upwards to 30, I can easily see hitting 1000+ humors.

i know that, the numbers i threw out were examples. the main point i was making was the devs need to lock the humor at a set number for testing defenses then increase that number over and over until they get the sweet spot for ideal humor vs walls.

right now they could throw a billion hp on to a plank wall and give it 9001 soak it really wouldnt matter sweet fk all, as raiders have whole towns/groups dedicated to spamming them humor alts for raiding.

you also have to factor in the noob players when you start thinking about upgrading building hps and such. as noobs just starting today do not have access to bugged purity items or months of grinding flour for instant 1million humor that the older players have. which is why i picked 100 as an example, its not hard for a noob just starting today to buy 0% seeds from npc stalls and get 100 humor. ofcourse you will want to test with higher humors BUT if there is no cap put on testing you cant get an ideal test out of it.

if 20 players test the same walls but 5 have 5x the humor as the rest how can you say thats a good test :/

this is a beta after all.. there needs to be actual testing unless this is actually a marketing beta in which case.. its just stupid how they are running the beta.
robert

Postby anfros » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Myrdred wrote:I'm starting to think that this is never going to happen. The situation you described was supposedly present in the alpha. Now every type of food in game with the sole exception of cabbage crumbs has some purity cap, usually in the form of 0% water. Remember that when turkeys were first introduced you could raise their purity, the devs removed that soon after they realized their mistake.

As I see it the whole system is being designed with the actual cap being somewhere in between 300 to 500 humors at the far extreme.

Just think abut it, no matter what you want too craft there is always something with no more than 0% purity, you can't really raise the purity of potted plants by more then 10 maybe 11% since the water is the handicap, same with all the baking, every foraged item is 0% as well as all the meat.

The most real draw back of this is that there really is no real incentive to plant treas raise turkey and I suppose few people will be interested in husbandry for the same reason.

On the topic of water, there is information in the game that indictate that wells will be added to the game at some point, and I assume they are going to have a system similar to the current system for mines when it comes to water purity. If I have understood things correctly it is a goal of the devs to eventually have purity on all items.
anfros

Postby Myrdred » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 pm

The tool tip on the dowsing rods has been there since the alpha, since before the removal of the purity nodes.
Myrdred

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Yes, they have do that, Myrdred. Mines still have purity, though. So do crops. They didn't remove purity from the game, just the means for everything to come out significantly better with little relative work. Now any on place is pretty much equal to any other place on the map as far as alchemical values go. They could decide to have wells with random alchemical properties or not. All we can do is speculate and nothing the devs have done can make me think they lean one way or the other at the moment.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby WindYKilleR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 am

The siege of the village leads to the fact that all the values ​​are exported in the next 24 hours. Necessary to reduce or prevent the timer flight with Sovereignty in Totem. Let siege siege would not circus
WindYKilleR

Postby Matcio » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 am

funny enough my brick house was wasted without any waste claims, unless of course i have managed to miss the attack banner somehow. That made me think 400 tiles away? that is quite some distance away should there be some warning if u have a waste claim built nearby? sorry im completely new to all this criminal activity (iv learned all the skills except for the criminal once) and being a humble hermit farmer i dont walk 400 tiles each side from may claim before logging out to check if there r some some silly "so and so's" that want to steal my oats :?
another thing that made me think - why on earth destroy my empty brick house and leave the main claim surrounded by the 2 simple stone walls ( brick house was on claim but no walls around it). do u really think it should be possible to destroy a solid brick house without any kind of siege equipment? :o Also i expect the hitpoints or a damage soak of the house is far too low.
Matcio

Postby Mereni » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 am

Matcio wrote:( brick house was on claim but no walls around it)

Umm... just don't know what to say to this.

The waste claim is supposed to be visible as a shadow on top of your claim, you should see it if you just press the 'show waste claim' button, but it's only needed if you have a town. Do you have a town, or just a personal claim?
Mereni

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Matcio wrote:do u really think it should be possible to destroy a solid brick house without any kind of siege equipment? :o Also i expect the hitpoints or a damage soak of the house is far too low.

My and my trusty sledge say "Yes". Actually, just a shovel and pry bar are enough for me to dismantle any wood and brick structure, no matter how large. It's just a matter of enough time and energy.

I have, however, made this same argument about soak values. The problem is the balance needed to make it easy for a newer player to remove a mistake since we don't have an eraser in the game vs the protection needed against raids.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements