Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Postby thearosen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:05 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:Almost all of my heists were done against people who had put zero effort into defense, or thier defenses were an after thought.

Then why does it matter? Keep hitting those newb targets without walls or are barely active to actually notice the 18 hour mark. Also this revamps the thief system imho. People ***** because thiefs don't give notice, which is true to a degree. But do you expect a thief to hit a high target with no planning, no stalking and marking, learning their habbits and when they are gone? Hell no. To put it simply this is more realistic in a way, now you have to actually watch your target and figure their habbits and gaming habbits, notice that they are gone all day on Thursday, or that they never watch the northern part of their walls. Grow up and be a real thief about if you wanna ***** about it not being realistic.
thearosen

Postby Yourgrandmother » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:07 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:Almost all of my heists were done against people who had put zero effort into defense, or thier defenses were an after thought.

Let me explain to you what it's like on Roanoke pre defense buffs.

I ran a town with many different walled in grids of stone walls, had 3-5 layers of stone wall. Over 100 braziers spread out among the town, only the core had 'moderate' brazier coverage. Not bad for practically a solo person right?

Then one day a dozen Russians show up, go thru my walls in minutes. Half them split up and disable my braziers in about 5 mins, the other half gang bang me.

Their main raider (this is weeks ago) took down a stone wall in seconds.

What is the point on building any defences on Roanoke unless you are in a super fortress towns with others. Nothing saves you as a solo hermit.
Yourgrandmother

Postby Odekva » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 am

Yourgrandmother wrote:
What is the point on building any defences on Roanoke unless you are in a super fortress towns with others. Nothing saves you as a solo hermit.

How do you think it would have been if they came after wall buff? How many hours do you think they could have needed to crack your defences?
Do you think that this wall\brazier buff was ok or this waste claim is better?
The Dwarven Rose shop
Please visit, have quite a bunch of things including food. ;)
Odekva

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 am

Odekva wrote:
Yourgrandmother wrote:

How do you think it would have been if they came after wall buff? How many hours do you think they could have needed to crack your defences?
Do you think that this wall\brazier buff was ok or this waste claim is better?

Wall brazier buff far superior. But, it doesnt solve the balance problem. The issue here is really thr desparity allowed in the humour system. It is easy to balance for the average player with wall buffs, but it is far more difficult if there are also players with 3-4x the humours of the average player.

-- or 6-7x for that matter.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby dageir » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:36 am

The big difference is between the people who have job/go to school and those who dont. The last group can spend 24 hours in the game. They can spend all their time upping their humours and or siege. We will never and should never be able to balance out against this. Balance should be aimed at the bulk of the population and not at the 1% who dedicates their lives to the game.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 am

I don't think the issue is disparity between the humors of players, but rather the disparity of the players and the defenses they have to punch through. Bump the soak on everything but the rail fence up at least double.

I'm not a huge fan of "destroyable for cheap" on your own claim or with permissions (IMO, should only be given to claim owner similar to how building/destroying authority objects can only be done by town mayor or those given that permission), but with the amount of soak the walls need to have, this will be completely necessary. We'd also need proper siege tools to effectively break into a real wall. (This is, of course, speculation. I'm not sold on it as being a part of "the fix." It's just one of several changes that could help.)

edit: reworded to better state my thoughts/opinions
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby darnokpl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:39 am

MagicManICT wrote:I don't think the issue is disparity between the humors of players, but rather the disparity of the players and the defenses they have to punch through. Bump the soak on everything but the rail fence up at least double.

I'm not a huge fan of "destroyable for cheap" on your own claim or with permissions (IMO, should only be given to claim owner similar to how building/destroying authority objects can only be done by town mayor or those given that permission), but with the amount of soak the walls need to have, this will be completely necessary.

Yes, that would be awesome.
darnokpl

Postby robert » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:49 am

why dont the devs try, putting a hard cap on humor?? rather then upgrading hp of buildings or whatever try setting it that once you hit say 100 humor you do not gain anymore or it takes 4x as much effort for 1 point. SO by the time a player has 10kx4 humor they have invested a year worth of work grinding for example. there by they might beable to find a balance between static defense and humor of hardcore players.

other wise buildings and walls will get to a point they will be butter to the hardcore players and hermits or casuals just starting out will be screwed every being able to repair mistakes in wall/building placements. my old hermit has a messed up split rail fence i built more so as a test then a real mistake but given its humor and the fact i havent played that toon in 4 weeks i know its humor isnt high enough to break stone walls let alone a rail fence without several regens later.

but same token a person thats been playing say since dec 1st could in effect wipe out the whole hermitage iv built over the weeks i played that toon in a few minutes. even with the higher hp walls. simply because that player has invested days in to just leveling humor (like all raider/murder alts are)

so where i would get screwed fixing a simple cheapo wall they can hot knife butter my whole economy in seconds.

where as if there was a max/hard cap put on humors that either prevented or slowed the gain down drasticlly then the walls/blazer buffs might actually be much better. as right now sure they are better then back when i started... but honestly saying it prevents some of the hardcore raider groups is kinda silly when we all know they will just pump humor to over come the walls even more :/
robert

Postby dageir » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 am

Humours get harder and harder to increase, and there is some kind of cap when you cant increase quality or multiplier of foods. The food will limit how far the humours can be taken. In the end the devs just need to scale the high end defenses with the high end humours. Since this is a beta and we have not seen the most extreme humours yet, we have yet to see the most extreme defenses. (Steel wall anyone?)
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby robert » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 am

dageir wrote:Humours get harder and harder to increase, and there is some kind of cap when you cant increase quality or multiplier of foods. The food will limit how far the humours can be taken. In the end the devs just need to scale the high end defenses with the high end humours. Since this is a beta and we have not seen the most extreme humours yet, we have yet to see the most extreme defenses. (Steel wall anyone?)

i understand that, but they could try hardcapping humor at 100 to test current defences. as right now, any upgrade they do to blazers or walls is moot as soon as its live the main raider groups will have already pushed humors higher then the defense, as well it makes it harder for hermits to correct issues as i said, a noob coming in to the game right now with say 50x4 humor really has little hope of fighting most of the mainstream raiders (not that they should, but they have no hope as it is regardless) as well if they misplace a wall or house build and need to replace it (like most noobs tend to do with wall gates or even my self who has built 1 extra wall tile instead of corner post for a gate has done) it makes it harder and harder for the less raider setup players to fix issues if walls are upgraded to the point they cant even do 1% damage do them at 50 humor.

while its nice to have harder walls for the 500+ humor raiders to water break against... i honestly dont really see it as any thing more then a bandaid. if they formed a cap on humors that increased the difficulty to raise them at a "late game" level. (i just use 100 as that tends to be the ideal level for almost everyone raider or not for doing everything ingame ... unless you plan to strip mine an entire mountain of dirt)
if they start at that level for testing and raise it up from there and find out where the walls really should be set for the "end game" style raiding that most people are doing right now they might beable to get a more global feel of how strong or weak the current fortifications are and then make improvements.

there is no denying the current upgrade/reupgrade has made walls harder but given a majority of raider groups are running on 200-500 humor by now i cant see a plank wall with 1million hp being that hard to over power :/ the soak value never changed as far as i understand. so they still do 1-10% damage a hit... just takes a few minutes longer to break then it did.

even an end game humor cap where you cant go above might be needed.. i dont know as i have not reached that end game element for my self only been on the receiving of it.

long story short, they could add every single wall element they want to the game hell they could add magical walls of magical flickery and it really wouldnt matter as raiders would just find a way to over power it with humor as they have been doing lol
robert

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements