Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:28 am

We've been developing for a while (holidays and whatnot. Apologies for the delay), and here's what's new.

Artifice
Most clothes now have one or more equipment slots.
Equipment slots hold Artifice items.
Artifice items and slotable equipment both have proficiency alignments, and intrinsic difficulty spans.

Hold an artifice item, right-click a piece of equipment with available slots, and choose "Slot into".

There's a random die-roll to determine if you succeed with the artifice or not. If the proficiencies in the artifice item and the target equipment match, and if you have high values in those proficiencies, your chance of success increases toward the easy end of the difficulty range.

If the artifice succeeds, the equipment now provides the effects presented by the artifice item.

If the artifice fails the artifice item is consumed, and one slot in the target equipment is permanently broken.

The objective is to kit and tool an optimal suit of gear and equipment, combining the artifice items as you best see fit. A piece of gear can only hold one of each type of artifice item.

Relevant artifice effects
Most obviously all existing attacks have been given a type. For each damage type there is a corresponding defense stat. The existing ones are presently:

Common Combat Power/Defense (includes all other types)

Concussive Power/Defense
Blunt Power/Defense
Impact Power/Defense
Piercing Power/Defense
Feral Power/Defense

All animal attacks are considered Feral. Other existing attacks present their types.

When determining damage, a comparison is made between the power of the attacker, and the defense of the defender, and the damage is modified accordingly: Up if the attacker has more, and down if the defender has. Whenever (and at whatever level) the attacker's power and the defender's defence values match, the final attack damage remains unmodified.

-------------

Obviously this system will in time be expanded with plenty of more different types of effects, both combat related and civilian.

-------------

Random fixes
Fixed a bug where you could have christmas stockings within christmas stockings.
Increased HP by ~10x on houses, windmill, smelter, stampmill, bread oven, kiln
Increased HP by ~3x on Torchpost and Brazier
Increased HP by ~4x on Walls
The combined effect of defense towers in clusters now scales asymptotically towards the effect of fifteen freestanding towers, as opposed to previous five.
Made Torchpost cheaper
Corpses now turn into skeletons after 30 minutes. This is a temporary fix until we make bodies carryable.
When summoning a player by his homestead, you can now only summon in positions from which you can draw an unobstructed line to the homestead object. This should fix the problem of summoning over walls.
Summoning now only possible on walkable tiles.
You can now walk through authority objects.
Clay troughs are now destructible.

Enjoy!
jorb

Re: Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Postby Mushibag » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks! :D
Mushibag

Postby alloin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 am

first yaay thnx

edit: second !
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby fiveous » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 am

Stronger structures, nice. Prevents more raid. May not be much but is is something! More updates the better!
Sir Frank Yates (Carpenter)
Citizen of Great Axton
fiveous

Postby JinxDevona » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 am

Fanfriggintastic! An actual function for clothes, new items to make, and fixes to many things that will help D. Thank you Jorb & Loftar!
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby thorop » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:34 am

Sweet good work
“In a room sit three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. So tell me—who lives and who dies?”
thorop

Postby webgecko » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 am

Will post to bugs forum but I cannot light a torch now from a lit stone fireplace.
webgecko

Postby Onionfighter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:50 am

I cannot fill a bucket from a barrel.
Onionfighter

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 am

jorb wrote:When summoning a player by his homestead, you can now only summon in positions from which you can draw an unobstructed line to the homestead object. This should fix the problem of summoning over walls.

Huge.

--And thanks a ton for all your hard work on the game! I am excited about where things are going!!
tweenprinc3ss

Postby staxjax » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 am

Nice.

Going to have to test out these defenses, seems like they were increased way too much. We shall see.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Next

Return to Announcements