Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Postby FutureForJames » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 pm

jorb wrote:
FutureForJames wrote:Jorb: have you considered changing brazier mechanics so that the damage is only dependent on the braziers shooting the target and not on inactive braziers as well?

What is the reasoning for not doing that change? I can only see advantages with a such change.

I hadn't thought about making it, so that's the reason. I'll consider it. :)

Thanks.
FutureForJames

Postby Potjeh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:42 pm

jorb wrote:
Potjeh wrote:vast majority of the playerbase, won't be touching this update until...

If I had a penny for every time... ;)

Well, it's been what, two or three days? I still haven't bothered with it. I expect Ender to put in the final odds thing any day now.
Potjeh

Postby EnderWiggin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Potjeh wrote:Well, it's been what, two or three days? I still haven't bothered with it. I expect Ender to put in the final odds thing any day now.
I can't do that until jorb or loftar tells me how difficulty spans of clothing and artifice are combined.
EnderWiggin

Postby Kerryann » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 pm

And I can't get your client to work for me on Salem - I use it fine on hnh - so i'm never going to be able to use the slot addition as I absolutely refuse to waste more time and money on ruining clothes I can't replace. :(
Kerryann

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm

So many ungrateful wind bags. Thanks for all the hard work Jorb. I havent messed with Artifice much yet, but I am enjoying the game quite a lot overall. Helps fight the nostalgia of my ole Ultima Online days! Good work fellas...
tweenprinc3ss

Postby colesie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:24 pm

jorb wrote:The usual hyperbole. I've already agreed that it'd be sweet to see the final success rate presented. Is there anything more you want?

Sparring!

Also, this system really needs a rewording at least. This high end, low end bs isn't cool. If we're going to be pissing in the wind with this why not just make it so slots on clothes don't break so we can at least spam our silver away to our hearts content without having to spend more in the cash shop
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Glennfinnan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 pm

jorb wrote: Is there anything more you want?

[derail]An ability to choose the amount of silver you want to withdraw from the stand. Tired of filling my inventory and backpack with dross.[/derail]
Glennfinnan

Postby akamber » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Jorb, I don't think people are pissed about the system fundamentally, I think they are sort of in shock at how you have changed your design philosophy. Normally, all numbers are present and accounted for, and the player is rewarded for doing the math, and not a lot needs to be 'figured out' This isn't mortal online, where every goddamn thing needs to be figured out and when it does it's a secret for all time (except for bugs of course... :/) You have purity listed, alchemical numbers, chances, etc. while sometimes confusing, all information is present and explained. This is not the case for the current new system of inspirationals in equipment. Players will end up brute forcing a scientific method, and those with the most resources and time will continue to have a huge advantage over other people. Players 'in the know' already get access to the best bugs, and now with the system, it's one more advantage. In MO, only old guilds have potions, the rest don't know how, and it's super expensive. So in any serious fight, they always win, which is why 1/2 the server is controlled by one guild.

I LIKE the system a lot, but I don't get it. Do I need to have alts with proficiencies that don't get too high? Does it have to fall within a range?

If you want to change your design philosophy that is fine, but some warning and explanation as to why would do a lot to soften the blow methinks. Again, not the system itself, but your shift in design philosophy that has made people.. unruly.
akamber

Postby FutureForJames » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

akamber wrote:Jorb, I don't think people are pissed about the system fundamentally, I think they are sort of in shock at how you have changed your design philosophy. Normally, all numbers are present and accounted for, and the player is rewarded for doing the math, and not a lot needs to be 'figured out' This isn't mortal online, where every goddamn thing needs to be figured out and when it does it's a secret for all time (except for bugs of course... :/) You have purity listed, alchemical numbers, chances, etc. while sometimes confusing, all information is present and explained. This is not the case for the current new system of inspirationals in equipment. Players will end up brute forcing a scientific method, and those with the most resources and time will continue to have a huge advantage over other people. Players 'in the know' already get access to the best bugs, and now with the system, it's one more advantage. In MO, only old guilds have potions, the rest don't know how, and it's super expensive. So in any serious fight, they always win, which is why 1/2 the server is controlled by one guild.

I LIKE the system a lot, but I don't get it. Do I need to have alts with proficiencies that don't get too high? Does it have to fall within a range?

If you want to change your design philosophy that is fine, but some warning and explanation as to why would do a lot to soften the blow methinks. Again, not the system itself, but your shift in design philosophy that has made people.. unruly.

Most formulas were hidden for a long time. Like the Ore Smelting formula and the Damage formula for old attacks. The only reason we have them publically is because someone asked the devs, devs replied and then someone posted on wiki/forum.

Formulas such as whether or not the rooster amount affects egg production rates and the formula for plenty gain from S&C are still to a large extent unknown and devs wouldn't tell us when it was asked.

I don't really see the shift in design philosophy, they have been pretty consistent with how they are giving out formulas thus far. I suppose giving out the personal claim upkeep formula in an announcement broke against their philosophy, so I guess you are right there.
FutureForJames

Postby JinxDevona » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 pm

jorb wrote:It isn't complicated. All you need to think about is matching proficiencies between the two items, preferring low difficulty numbers allround, and having high values in the proficiencies that do match.

This is the clearest, easiest explanation I've heard. Thank you. I think with the chance rate you talk about possibly giving us, those of us who can't do these complicated formulas should be fine now. :) Love the update and fixes.

(Thanks for the tip that there are more feral items out there, guess I'm going to have to craft a bunch of stuff now and figure out where they are :lol: ) Can anyone add what else is feral besides etterfang?
Last edited by JinxDevona on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements