Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 pm

No, I get it, the game is supposed to be fun in the same way that cooking is fun, ie based on feeling rather than exact science (if you cook strictly by the recipe, I feel sorry for you). But cooking blindfolded isn't fun, because you'll wind up using completely wrong ingredients and ruining everything.
Potjeh

Postby ChristianLove » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm

jorb wrote:
It isn't complicated. All you need to think about is matching proficiencies between the two items, preferring low difficulty numbers allround, and having high values in the proficiencies that do match.

Ok I know this is probably my first post ever on the forums itself. But I do have to say that this is the exact conclusion I reached after tinkering with clothing and items right after the update. I think you are all trying to over think this one. This is a good break from the pure math involved with every other aspect to the game. A little intuitive guesswork is good for the mind.

Love the update Jorb. Keep at it man.
ChristianLove

Postby iambobthepirate » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:20 pm

just to clarify if you don't have matching proficiencies in the artifice and clothing do your proficiency values come into play or do they only come into play when there is a match.
iambobthepirate

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

iambobthepirate wrote:just to clarify if you don't have matching proficiencies in the artifice and clothing do your proficiency values come into play or do they only come into play when there is a match.

Only when they match.
Ass_Kraken

Postby iambobthepirate » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Ass_Kraken wrote:
iambobthepirate wrote:just to clarify if you don't have matching proficiencies in the artifice and clothing do your proficiency values come into play or do they only come into play when there is a match.

Only when they match.

Are you basing that on what jorb said or from what ender discovered in the function?
because it seems that jorb hasn't been quite clear on this, and ender only got part of the function without fully knowing how it works.

but if your sure ill go with your answer.
iambobthepirate

Postby Yes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:14 pm

iambobthepirate wrote:Are you basing that on what jorb said or from what ender discovered in the function?
because it seems that jorb hasn't been quite clear on this, and ender only got part of the function without fully knowing how it works.

There are 2 ifs in the op and they don't depend on each other. But they add up for the final difficulty obviously.

edit:
If the proficiencies in the artifice item and the target equipment match, and if you have high values in those proficiencies, your chance of success increases toward the easy end of the difficulty range.
Last edited by Yes on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(a person who plays online games since the 1980s about salem) laywn wrote:I have never seen anything so down right dirty!
Yes

Postby iambobthepirate » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes wrote:
iambobthepirate wrote:Are you basing that on what jorb said or from what ender discovered in the function?

There are 2 ifs in the op and they don't depend on each other. But they add up for the final difficulty obviously.

i have no idea what you just said
iambobthepirate

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Anyway, I think weapons should have slots too.
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Potjeh wrote:Anyway, I think weapons should have slots too.

They will. :)
jorb

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Can we have slots for our slots?
Ass_Kraken

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements