Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Artifacts & Artifice

Postby akamber » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 pm

For simple things like metal production, that at least sort of correspond to real world situations, I think it's ok. There aren't that many possible combinations to test regarding the production of metal, it was a nice bell curve. Additionally, things like testing eggs and metal weren't expensive (relative to cash shop items being broken from a system not understood by players)

It's a different formula than any he has used in the past that I am aware of, and people are reacting accordingly. It's his game, he can do what he wants, and if he wants it to go in this direction, I merely said he should explain that to people, recognizing that people like having control over their environment and figuring things out, and that if a system encourages brute force methods, it will drive away all but the most dedicated of players (even more than the game does now...)
akamber

Postby akamber » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 pm

[double post]

The internet is hard :(
akamber

Postby World » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:40 am

The Latest from Paris - slot 2; difficulty 30 to 25; arts, faith, thread; cost 6 leather, 1 feather.
Tricorne - slot 2; difficulty 30 to 15; hammer, law, thread; cost 3 leather, 1 feather.
Why is tricorn cost less then the latest from paris, and also better then it?
World

Postby Mereni » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 am

jorb wrote:It isn't complicated. All you need to think about is matching proficiencies between the two items, preferring low difficulty numbers allround, and having high values in the proficiencies that do match.

Having a percent final chance of failure would be great, but for now maybe you could just tell us what a 'high value in the proficiencies' is? Most of my proficiencies are in the 20s to 30s and I'd really like to put an etterfang on a piece of clothing but I have no idea if my 25 in one and 30 in the other is really low or kinda good, or what, and I'm afraid to try. :( And if it is really low, what number proficiency IS good? What point should I start thinking maybe I have a chance to succeed? 50? 80? 140?

Just a ballpark please. Like fill in the blank: When your slot and artifice proficiency match you can probably succeed when that proficiency reaches #_____.
Mereni

Postby alexbar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 am

:(

No where did potjeh appear to be QQing at all. If anything your calling him out on QQing was a clear indication that he had a good point.

For what reason would he even QQ?

And saying you're having a great time with a system you created? LOL wow.

~~~

If you're going to so vehemently defend a system, one that at initial view makes no ***** sense at all....in a game that is otherwise really understandable. Just don't post at all; you're the creator you don't "have" to defend anything.

As in, listen to the people explain their frustrations ... evaluate the system ... patch it during the next update. It's okay to make mistakes. It really is.
alexbar

Postby Gacrux » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 am

alexbar wrote::(

No where did potjeh appear to be QQing at all. If anything your calling him out on QQing was a clear indication that he had a good point.

~~~

If you're going to so vehemently defend a system, one that at initial view makes no ***** sense at all....in a game that is otherwise really understandable. Just don't post at all; you're the creator you don't "have" to defend anything.

As in, listen to the people explain their frustrations ... evaluate the system ... patch it during the next update. It's okay to make mistakes. It really is.

Gacrux

Postby JinxDevona » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:32 am

alexbar wrote::(

~~~

Chill. Some people who have been around a long time have a special relationship with the devs in which they bag on each other and stuff. Really, nothing to worry about.

As for listening, he did and said that he would like to put in a chance rating (or whatever it was). Evaluating, the system is fine. Patching? Patch what? I haven't heard of any bugs related to the new content yet. Other than that, the system is fine and doesn't need patching.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby jorb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:41 am

alexbar wrote:And saying you're having a great time with a system you created? LOL wow.

Why wouldn't I say that? How do you think I myself evaluate the things we do?

you're the creator you don't "have" to defend anything.

Nor am I. I don't deny your experience. You are not reading what I am writing.

As in, listen to the people explain their frustrations

What do you think I'm doing here?

It's okay to make mistakes. It really is.

You would know all about that, I'm sure. ¦]

;)
jorb

Postby Jalpha » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:46 am

I'd just like to take a moment from everyones time here to point out what steaming piles of manure games in the past have become by doing too much to please the people who voice their complaints the loudest.
Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby Tomki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:34 pm

One of the main reasons I'm hooked into this game is because its unpredictable and there are many random factors present. Maybe I'm a bit twisted but I like the fact that not every aspect of the game is written somewhere (hated WOW). It is a challenge to find it out and makes you try things differently. Man I spent hours just to get a hellish halibut, bullhead and whitefish but it was great to finally nail one! And I don't have a clue where to catch catfish..

This clearly is not a game for mainstream. But there are *hopefully* more people like me who want to play it hard way. My only problem is the market stall system but I can live with that. I just want to give this patch a thumbs up and thank the Dev team for a game that eats all my free time now :).
Tomki

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements