Welcome, Citizens

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Welcome, Citizens

Postby APXEOLOG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 am

I cannot see any point in sandbox that will not allow massive wars or so on. One day player will grind all skills, build all buildings and get all items and what's then? He will leave this game ofc. The only way to 'reset' this player is to kill him by other players, so he will need grind one more time :) War is the only thing you can do in sandbox (proved by HnH)
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:00 am

APXEOLOG wrote:I cannot see any point in sandbox that will not allow massive wars or so on. One day player will grind all skills, build all buildings and get all items and what's then? He will leave this game ofc. The only way to 'reset' this player is to kill him by other players, so he will need grind one more time :) War is the only thing you can do in sandbox (proved by HnH)

This game clearly runs in the direction you described. Because of that this game will lose all crafting people sooner or later. So it will have to be profitable with those pvp loving guys. We will see about that.

But: instead of "reset" all players by killing them there would be another solution to make players stay in Salem: a continuos flow of new content and a development through history.
ElCapitan1701

Postby ShadowTani » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 am

Or you could introduce a system that would reward the player if the player that got killed had progressed significantly enough (to prevent alt farming the system), maybe in the form of karma points which could be used to give the player an edge in their next play-through. Basically not too different from the rebirth systems some MMO's have. At least, I can imagine that would take off a lot of the frustration of having to start over again, holding onto more players. It's just an idea though.
ShadowTani

Postby APXEOLOG » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Yes, there are number of ideas to make people play. For example J&L can add 'events' in Salem. For example after some time, when world reaches some nuber of 'tech level' (population, avg players stats, avg resources purity and so on) some big random could be activated. For example orc horde will attack the world and all people will need to unite to survive. Or maybe something like 'grail' will be spawned in wilderness under the dragon's protection. Or uniq craft recipe will be found in some special places... Any of such events will bring something new to game routine.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:31 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:Yes, there are number of ideas to make people play. For example J&L can add 'events' in Salem. For example after some time, when world reaches some nuber of 'tech level' (population, avg players stats, avg resources purity and so on) some big random could be activated. For example orc horde will attack the world and all people will need to unite to survive. Or maybe something like 'grail' will be spawned in wilderness under the dragon's protection. Or uniq craft recipe will be found in some special places... Any of such events will bring something new to game routine.

Don't forget that the world will expland along Boston growing and people finding new places.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Letar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:Yes, there are number of ideas to make people play. For example J&L can add 'events' in Salem. For example after some time, when world reaches some nuber of 'tech level' (population, avg players stats, avg resources purity and so on) some big random could be activated. For example orc horde will attack the world and all people will need to unite to survive. Or maybe something like 'grail' will be spawned in wilderness under the dragon's protection. Or uniq craft recipe will be found in some special places... Any of such events will bring something new to game routine.

I'd as well like to see some "Greater" events where players need to combine forces of several villages or so to tackle.
Letar

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

lets not forget that this is a sandbox. personally i dont really wish for any "quest" kinds here.
i would like to play because i want to play, not because i get forced to play by some fantasy world events.

i wouldnt mind having natural disaster events such as hurricane or tornado that randomly destroy small parts of the map, though.
or finding unique crafting recipe/items randomly sounds like fun too. but i can already imagine people RAEGing when it happens :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Well, they won`t get frustrated by an event as they will from getting killed.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Alxe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I want a economy-focused rather than warfare endgame. PvP is of course rewarding and fun, proper to endgame. If Seatribe were to agree with my sight of the endgame, they'd have to balance events, the Store, and add new content. Maybe have some AI raiders that would give PvPeers the chance of becoming "bodyguards" of villages? Or bandits that would drop some kind of bandana or item that would be "sold" to Boston for some reward. Aggresive AI based enemies aside of bears that'd let those seeking combat go ahead and search for trouble without damaging the playerbase.

Maybe also have the traders/crafters limited "skills", meaning that you could become a Great Master of some trade, like master blacksmith or master whitesmith (gems and lighter ores), or just someone that may do anything, a Jack of All Trades that wouldn't be able to have the fun of the end-game of certain profession.

Or just, maybe, dying of age/diseases. Have the chance to let their heirs (new characters) claim their propierties and a per cent of their skills.
Alxe

Postby painhertz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:28 pm

This is all pretty deep thought for a "Welcome citizens" thread is it not?
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements