Welcome, Citizens

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Welcome, Citizens

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:39 am

loftar wrote:
Onionfighter wrote:I only wish we had more custom clothing, so groups could be more identifiable by how they dress.

This :)

The big limitation on this is the discussion between functionality and customization Jorb and I got into. If you make clothes fashion based, we lose the ability to have stats on them, or everyone is forced to dress more or less identically (losing any chance of choice in most cases). Furthermore, if you have clothing with hidden stats, this does allow everyone to dress fashionably as they choose, but it severely denies people an ability to judge each other's wealth/abilities/strength at first meeting. It's a pretty rough guesstimate, but it's still information that may tell someone to run for the hills if the neighbour comes over dressed in armor.

It's a sticky problem.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby ShadowTani » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:09 am

Sevenless wrote:The big limitation on this is the discussion between functionality and customization Jorb and I got into. If you make clothes fashion based, we lose the ability to have stats on them, or everyone is forced to dress more or less identically (losing any chance of choice in most cases). Furthermore, if you have clothing with hidden stats, this does allow everyone to dress fashionably as they choose, but it severely denies people an ability to judge each other's wealth/abilities/strength at first meeting. It's a pretty rough guesstimate, but it's still information that may tell someone to run for the hills if the neighbour comes over dressed in armor.

It's a sticky problem.

But if you made cloth stats something that could be added to any clothing, a sort of enchanting system or what not, then any customizability of the clothes shouldn't get in the way. Or did I misunderstand something?
ShadowTani

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:12 am

ShadowTani wrote:But if you made cloth stats something that could be added to any clothing, a sort of enchanting system or what not, then any customizability of the clothes shouldn't get in the way. Or did I misunderstand something?

Yes, that you wouldn't be able to gauge people's powerlevel by looking at them. Which sucks a bit.
loftar

Postby APXEOLOG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:41 am

loftar wrote:Yes, that you wouldn't be able to gauge people's powerlevel by looking at them. Which sucks a bit.

Dragon Helm? :(
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Vigilance » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:40 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:
loftar wrote:Yes, that you wouldn't be able to gauge people's powerlevel by looking at them. Which sucks a bit.

Dragon Helm? :(

RIP Dragon helm. :cry:
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby painhertz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:20 pm

150 people on....Did you guys open the beta?
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby APXEOLOG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:34 pm

painhertz wrote:150 people on....Did you guys open the beta?

Nope, still cbt :) Everyone love afterwipe time. I hope J&L will add purity mechanics soon
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby ShadowTani » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 pm

loftar wrote:
ShadowTani wrote:But if you made cloth stats something that could be added to any clothing, a sort of enchanting system or what not, then any customizability of the clothes shouldn't get in the way. Or did I misunderstand something?

Yes, that you wouldn't be able to gauge people's powerlevel by looking at them. Which sucks a bit.

Ah yes, I understand then. Still, considering this game is not battle focused most of the time then fashion without stats and power gear with stats could easily survive side by side. My wardrobe is ready. ;3
ShadowTani

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:00 am

Combat perhaps only constitutes the smallest fraction of your play time but it is by far the most important. Everything surrounding it is vital or nothing else matters anyway. =)
TeckXKnight

Postby ShadowTani » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:27 am

TeckXKnight wrote:Combat perhaps only constitutes the smallest fraction of your play time but it is by far the most important. Everything surrounding it is vital or nothing else matters anyway. =)

Yes, it's why I want to stay near mordor (at least, I can imagine that as decent battle training grounds in the future). ;3

Anyway, I can understand if the devs want to focus more on practical stuff and I'm happy if they will even if I'm terribly weak for dolling up my characters, but I wasn't just thinking about fashion, there might be useful to have a range of worker clothes that give crafting bonuses as well for example, I dunno, I'm just throwing that idea out here now rather than later since the new purity system is still in development. :3
ShadowTani

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements