Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Postby ramuller » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 pm

JeffGV wrote:Uh...i've got a beaming-proud sunflower from a cutting i had planted. Is this intended?

Beaming-proud Sunflowers seem to be the lucky draw in the gardening lottery for many plants -- much more valuable than one more sapling.
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby JeffGV » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 pm

Well, i know it was possible to get it with other gardening products. I didn't expect to get it from a cutting, though. I've got an idea, though...
JeffGV

Postby Gauteamus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 am

Maybe there now should better exist an option to shrink ones claim (without any refund of silver of course)?
Gauteamus

Postby Procne » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am

For a week there was an option to declaim with 75% refund. It was there to let people shrink their claims.
Procne

Postby Shiala » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm

I planted 9 cuttings with just enough proficiencies to buy the Forestry skill, 35 F/W, 35 S/C, 35 NP. I got one sapling, the rest died. That's pretty much what I was expecting. For lowbies picking up the skill, keep your expectations for success low and keep working on those proficiencies! I'm just happy that the one that grew was a grand maple. I have a pretty tree growing next to my farm house now! :D
Shiala

Postby Kaol » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:33 am

Not gonna be easy to replant deforested areas then, i guess its more of a vanity sort of thing for people that want to make a garden.
Kaol

Postby rodrigoq » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 am

Thats because you aren't planting enough...

I have plans for my tree army.. annoying, horrible plans.
rodrigoq

Postby ImpalerWrG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Sounds like some natural regeneration of forests is going to be needed eventually, it could be very slow, such that active players are not going to be able to rely on it as a lumber source, but sufficient to reforest the abandoned areas after a about a year. Otherwise we would eventually see large treeless areas blotting the landscape as we have in Haven. Other resources like mines might spawn new nodes, clay and stone are a bit trickier as the ground surface deflates when these are removed and that will presumably reach some kind of limit, but how to know when to re-inflate?
ImpalerWrG

Postby inzain » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 am

we also must consider that tho in beta, this is a new concept, and since introduction , im sure they are gathering data, on how effective it is to reforest our areas, and should, more than likely, increase the sapling ratio over time. in the end we will prolly have a lot more successes on trees than failures. or this would be my assumtion.
inzain

Postby Procne » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Has anyone tried testing minimal distance from other trees for sprouts? I planted a tree with 2 tile gap from other tree and it nicely grew up. I wonder if I was lucky or if 2 tiles are enough.

Also, after raising Natural philosphy to 55 I seem to have higher succes chance with sprouts in pots. First I got 4 sprouts out of 7 pots and now I got 5 sprouts and 1 beaming sunflower out of 11 pots
Procne

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements