Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Rooting thy Native Oak

Postby harflimon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

badmp3 wrote:
harflimon wrote:Because that would be a ridiculous game design. In a grand sense it's the same thing as both in effect work at solving the same problem. But forcing players to constantly go to all their buildings/items and repair them is ***** stupid and tedious compared to implementing a simple tax system..

Ok, so have just the Claim Stone Decay = case solved

:lol:

Tic tac toe anyone?

Alright that would be a valid way of solving the main issue.

However I still think there are other benefits to the tax system that you are ignoring. It makes having an extremely large claim disadvantageous, so you won't get people who buy 10000 silver plopping down a humongous claim and keeping it for as long as they want, unless they want to keep sinking tons of cash into the game (and if they do more power to them they fund this game for the rest of us). And it also makes people think twice about setting up smaller secondary claims, especially those that are mostly to punish other players, for example on some of the lime deposits near my place people have put claims on top of them to stop others from using it. Now that people have to pay a cost to keep those they will likely think twice about whether it is actually worth it. Setting up and keeping a claim at this point is just too easy.
harflimon

Postby milonti » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm

badmp3 wrote:
harflimon wrote:Because that would be a ridiculous game design. In a grand sense it's the same thing as both in effect work at solving the same problem. But forcing players to constantly go to all their buildings/items and repair them is ***** stupid and tedious compared to implementing a simple tax system..

Ok, so have just the Claim Stone Decay = case solved

:lol:

Tic tac toe anyone?

Err, isnt that essentially what the tax is? You just kinda argued in favor of it. The "materials" for repair are silver pieces. Its just a lot less random. Besides, this provides a much needed silver sink to the economy.
milonti

Postby ramuller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm

milonti wrote:Err, isnt that essentially what the tax is? You just kinda argued in favor of it. The "materials" for repair are silver pieces. Its just a lot less random. Besides, this provides a much needed silver sink to the economy.

Yes it is a sensational way to remove silver from the economy, which might explain why it gives some players a sinking sensation.
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby Gacrux » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:10 pm

ramuller wrote:
milonti wrote:Err, isnt that essentially what the tax is? You just kinda argued in favor of it. The "materials" for repair are silver pieces. Its just a lot less random. Besides, this provides a much needed silver sink to the economy.

Yes it is a sensational way to remove silver from the economy, which might explain why it gives some players a sinking sensation.

What you did there, I see it.
Gacrux

Postby jorb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 pm

The amount of work you'd have to put in would be the same even if the cost was denominated in some other resource. I don't see any reason to complain about the fact that it happens to be the only reasonable one, namely silver.
jorb

Postby ramuller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 pm

jorb wrote:The amount of work you'd have to put in would be the same even if the cost was denominated in some other resource. I don't see any reason to complain about the fact that it happens to be the only reasonable one, namely silver.

You may have missed it, but the conspiracy theory types in the thread were suggesting that at some point we would lose the NPCs that bought stuff for silver and would have to pay real money for upkeep since it would be the only way to get silver (sort of like Wurm where NPC silver is scarce).
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby Niv » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I really like the tax idea. It makes sense that as the game progresses, space would become more valuable and you need to get rid of players who no longer plays the game but holds the land. It'd be like wasting spaces which could be put to better use by a player who is more efficient or more productive. I would like to make some suggestions on top of that:

1) propose income tax: players have to pay x% of income to the town per every purchase or sales they make to the NPC or the player stall. The silver paid goes to the town government which could be used to increase the town facility, aka more shop stalls for players to rent etc. what have you. We probably should also get a player staffed government too who can decide on how much the tax should be and where the tax money should go to. This'll add to the interactivity of the whole player community

2) propose player avatar aging system: people age and die in real life, so should the players in the game. Basically it's a way to keep the old players from becoming too powerful and to level the playing field between the new and old players. This would also free up space to on the server (logistically speaking) since avatars made by players who are no longer interested will eventually die of old age. No more over population issues like some other MMORPG out there. Lastly this would also get rid of the problem of people spamming alts and never play them, since, eventually, some of the alts will die and they will be forced to focus on the remaining alive ones or go for a fresh new one that they actually will use this time.

3) propose health medical system: people can prolong their life and slow down the aging process by buying certain prescriptions in town with silver. This will make the players who are capable and efficient last longer hence allowing them to further their contribution to the player community and weed out new players who are just mucking around and not really doing anything. It would also be fairly cool for some of these prescriptions to be craftable using rare ingredients found in dark regions.

4) introduce Natural disaster: no land is safe from the wrath of mother nature. From time to time, certain regions will be influenced by certain natural phenomenon such as flooding, earthquake, typhoon, hurrican, tsunami etc. The effect of these ND (Natural Disasters) will be destroyed player buildings, landscape changes and perhaps even some player deaths. I believe this will be fairly interesting and challenging to implement, but this would be an excellent way to again, take out players who are not really interested in the game and even end up stimulating the player vs player economy since it will be more difficult for a player who just hoard resources and be completely isolated from others to survive when ND struck.

Just some of my thoughts into making the game more fun. I mean, this is a pretty easy thing to set up and would make the game a whole lot more realistic right? Think about it.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Niv

Postby Gallient » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Niv wrote:Stuff

Waaaahh...

My Jorb man, you are a major masochist... if you want it that bad go set your homestead up next to the tribe.
Gallient

Postby harflimon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 am

Niv wrote:Things.

Holy **** man, we're still trying to get some horses going and you're asking for them to recreate reality.
harflimon

Postby JeffGV » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Uh...i've got a beaming-proud sunflower from a cutting i had planted. Is this intended?
JeffGV

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements