Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Postby Myrdred » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Sevenless I have to say I disagree with your statement. The idea as far as i know was never to prevent raiding as a live style but simply to give crafters a decent defensive measure.

We the players are supposed to prevent raiding by punishing the raiders (killing them). As I remember it in haven & hearth the typical punishment for a raider was his death and a complete leveling of his claim. Disorganized hermits and small settlements always had the short stick here but a large community can always defend itself.

Personally I'm glad of the debuff because it makes a raider think twice before raiding a small hermitage just to see if it has something of value and at the same time as jorb or loftar has mentioned it sets the ground for a siege style raid (yes h&h again) were the owner or owners can actually try and defend their claim in stead of logging in after a 2 hour break to find their home in ashes, in short destruction of a large claim should take a lot of time but it should also allow someone to "live of raiding".
Myrdred

Postby Gallient » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm

My carebear side likes the change, however as I am trying to transition to more PvP I'm worried about the time sink with this new system. Darwoth has made some points but frankly if both the chief and mushi are saying its a good system, well I guess I'll just need higher humors and a few more friends.
Gallient

Postby Shiala » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm

One suggestion on how to protect structures from being totally demolished by a raiding party is to bring back the battering ram and make structures extremely difficult to tear down without one. If the ram requires time to set as it did in H&H, you won't see a hit and run raid party throwing one up inside your base to smash up all of your buildings. However, it still allows people a viable way of removing structures on their own property if they need to do so.
Shiala

Postby Nixman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:16 am

Another option would be to leave 'ruins' behind that require much less resources to rebuild, this would prevent a total wipe out of someone's base, maybe require everything to be 'reinforced' for it to become rebuild-able? but make them ghosted like claim stones currently are.
Nixman

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:23 am

Darwoth wrote:the entire premise of having to run away from the enemy camp for a lengthy period of time before being able to function again due to a magical debuff is easily the most shortsighted and ill concieved take on player conflict i have seen over 15 years of games.

Are you really saying that an all-or-nothing shell defense is better?

Darwoth wrote:it has completely eliminated the "worth if" factor for the great majority of "raids", currently the most valuable thing other than high purity seeds that only need to be gotten once is iron bars, out of many raids i think 30 or so is the most i ever found in one spot and that was at a location with four walls and decent brazier coverage. the value of the time now required to break in, locate and loot said number of bars far exceeds that of the loot because it is more efficient to just make your own. this obviously applies to everything else as well since they are of far lesser value than the bar example.

It sounds to me like the real issue here is either that there is nothing of value to steal (which may very well be true, since everyone can make everything, pretty much), and/or that the buff is quantitatively too harsh, rather than qualitatively wrong; both of which may be valid points. Or are you really trying to argue that raids are never worth it if you can't steal everything and level the whole settlement to boot?

Darwoth wrote:i am not going to bother debating a pompous opponent on his home turf

If you try to "discuss" rather than "debate", it might work better. ^^

Given the amount of tears you have kindly provided this thread with, I think I have been more than fair in attempting to extract some actual, meaningful critique from you. Or were you really expecting me to take your emotional outbursts seriously, and try to comfort you in your butthurt? Who's the carebear then?
loftar

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:25 am

loftar wrote:argue that raids aren't worth it if you can't steal everything and level the whole settlement to boot?

sounds like this is his argument.

did you guys buff braziers?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:29 am

Dallane wrote:did you guys buff braziers?

Not that I know of. :)
loftar

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:36 am

loftar wrote:

they seem to be working alot better

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Sevenless » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:48 am

Dallane wrote:
loftar wrote:

they seem to be working alot better

Define better. How are they working differently?
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:54 am

Sevenless wrote:Define better. How are they working differently?

6 hitting someone with 140 bile and all they could get down was a door and 2 braziers b4 they have to leave the claim and it was a noobie claim.

before we could clear a place like this with 60 humors

Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements