Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Postby darnokpl » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Darwoth wrote:issues......

1> since every item you open or use on a claim leaves a trespassing scent instead of just the initial trespass under the new system you get far more "charges" than you should.

It is ok imho. Now main goal is to check what is valuable and steal it or destroy it, if you want to slow down someone, so tresspass should add those charges:)

Darwoth wrote:2> there was barely anything worth raiding in the game before under the old system (for a semi developed character), since you have effectively quadrupled the time it takes to raid there is now absolutely nothing worth the effort. this is magnified ten fold when factoring in the fact that 19 of 20 spots you raid will be filled with low end trash.

You should pick only most valuable items now and leave buildings and that is great, because most people just quit after total wipe of their camp.

Darwoth wrote:3> this makes it impossible to attack a location defended by even one semi afk person, since the attackers will have to walk 3 states over to expire their criminal tags the resident simply emerges and fixes whatever they damaged.

Wait, so you can't have 2 or more people and while you are walking away your friends will "defend" wall breach?
It is even better than it was, because now raiders/griefers will have to make groups and now trust issues etc etc will apply to them too, not only for town members :)

Darwoth wrote:maybe if there were horses etc implemented and those horses moved along 3 - 4x greater than normal movement it would be less of an issue, but as it stands simply walking far enough away from snooping a few boxes and lifting a couple items now takes three times as long as it did before and that is not factoring in the time to go back.

Again for single person?
Increase time of raid that main target is to loot is again great idea, now it will be harder for single person to loot whole camp, but it is almost same level for raider group.
darnokpl

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Potjeh wrote:I think they just need to adjust the base values for different crimes.

This is a natural next step beyond the present naive implementation.

darnokpl wrote:You should pick only most valuable items now and leave buildings and that is great, because most people just quit after total wipe of their camp.

I obviously do not want to tell anyone what to do or how to play the game, but this kind of the approach to raiding that we at least want to incentivize. I could live just fine with having a couple of chests and some valuables/my foodstocks stolen from me, but If I lost all my infrastructure.... well... that would be much worse.
jorb

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Potjeh wrote:Also, did you fix the tanning bug? I felt the leather to brain ratio was just perfect with it :(

Right, right. That we did. We will probably be adding more sources of tanning fluid.
jorb

Postby snakegal » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:21 pm

jorb wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Also, did you fix the tanning bug? I felt the leather to brain ratio was just perfect with it :(

Right, right. That we did. We will probably be adding more sources of tanning fluid.

It's already hard enough to get brains :(
~Snakey
snakegal

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:23 pm

We had to fix it for the oiling trough, and not having it fixed was damn ugly under any circumstance. I'll promise to look at it for next week's update.
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:31 pm

You could just change it so it's 2.5l per hide :idea:
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Potjeh wrote:You could just change it so it's 2.5l per hide :idea:

.... bwhahaahah!

¦]
jorb

Postby Dallane » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 pm

MM DEM TEARS
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby staxjax » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 pm

The crime debuff fails to update the time left at present rate and I have to relog to fix it.

I accumulated 50 charges, and it would last 12 hours at the raided base. After walking for some time it was down to 40 minutes...I don't think this is unreasonable, and it prevents mass looting/destruction of bases which I think is how it should be. Pay attention to your charges, walk around some, bring more people if you need to, and you won't be waiting around anymore than with the old system.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby darnokpl » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:12 pm

staxjax wrote:I accumulated 50 charges, and it would last 12 hours at the raided base.

And what if I will
1. raid someone,
2. mark leanto on my leanto-HV, 2h hours away from my character-HV,
3. walk to my character-HV and get ~50 charges on friends claim few tiles away,
4. logout and go to sleep, my char will stay there for ~12h,

Imho rangers will be :shock: after bashing my leanto-HV they won't be able to summon me for 12 hours? ¦]

Charges should make some drain if you are staying close to them for long time to avoid this nasty method.
darnokpl

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements