Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Criminally Thanksgiving

Postby Sevenless » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 am

Esch. It's the koreans all over again. I remember the pics of the russians fighting a horde of korean alts swarming their gates from haven XD
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby jorb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:05 am

Arguing that it takes too long does not mean arguing against the system. What I primarily need to know is whether the mechanic of having to put some distance between yourself and the crime is viable. Specific numbers and edge cases (100s of leantos) can obviously be adjusted for, and do not constitute fundamental arguments about the fundamental incentives the system puts in place.

I'm not saying that it isn't interesting to know about those edge case, but "the system sucks, I had to wait for a really long time when X, Y and Z" is not what I am primarily interested in.
jorb

Postby colesie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:10 am

jorb wrote:Arguing that it takes too long does not mean arguing against the system. What I primarily need to know is whether the mechanic of having to put some distance between yourself and the crime is viable. Specific numbers and edge cases (100s of leantos) can obviously be adjusted for, and do not constitute fundamental arguments about the fundamental incentives the system puts in place.

I'm not saying that it isn't interesting to know about those edge case, but "the system sucks, I had to wait for a really long time when X, Y and Z" is not what I am primarily interested in.

Okay how about, if I have to leave a criminal scent to break those leantos in my own village I can't really "put distance between myself and the crime" making the timer very inconvenient and that system undesirable for things near and in the village.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby jorb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:13 am

So lets say we adjust some times and somehow make that particular problem go away, are you then happy about the system as such? :)
jorb

Postby jorb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:25 am

Because in that case we seem to be pretty good, right? I mean... if the leanto problem is your biggest concern about the change, then you really only have an edge case problem? The normal interaction you like?
jorb

Postby staxjax » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:32 am

I like the new crime system.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Mushibag » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 am

colesie wrote:Okay how about, if I have to leave a criminal scent to break those leantos in my own village I can't really "put distance between myself and the crime" making the timer very inconvenient and that system undesirable for things near and in the village.

QQ moar
Mushibag

Postby sabinati » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:36 am

Mushibag wrote:
sabinati wrote:instead of bothering with taking out braziers, why didn't you just run in and grab **** and get out?

Well, when there are containers like in the first example:
there is no way of knowing which ones to grab. I'd like to see you stand there looking through all of them with braziers shooting you.

And with the second example, we knew we would have to send in the 3rd guy to check for loot, and he has much lower humours, so we had to do something to allow him time to look around.

look. i am the first to admit that i know exactly ***** all about how raiding works in salem, but during my time in playing it seems to me that it would cost you less bbile to scan the containers than it would to sit there and tank a brazier. if that is no longer the case, please enlighten me. consider me as a small child with little understand who hasn't played in months.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:40 am

sabinati wrote:look. i am the first to admit that i know exactly ***** all about how raiding works in salem, but during my time in playing it seems to me that it would cost you less bbile to scan the containers than it would to sit there and tank a brazier. if that is no longer the case, please enlighten me. consider me as a small child with little understand who hasn't played in months.

You get a charge for peaking and braziers fire on you for doing so.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby sabinati » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 am

colesie wrote:
loftar wrote:I have to say that sounds like your own fault, then. Isn't it supposed to be fair game when there's no claim? :)

I'm not ***** about fair game, I'm ***** about the new mechanic and how big of a kick to the *gunt it is to have to stay online for the rest of your natural life to remove griefing.

*urban dictionary is your friend

i had a character named gunt in world 4 or 5 of haven. rip gunt. he was succeeded by fupa.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements