Patch 2.2.4 Witch way? This Way!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Patch 2.2.4 Witch way? This Way!

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Ronch wrote:
I do not think you nor JC see or even care to look at the far reaching implications of doing that to this in-game chat feature (the kin list).

The Kin-List has never been a "Chat feature" and the fact it exists is only out of a convenience. You have discord for true chat programs. The Kin List allows permissions on claims, showing online status, and acts as a notepad for you to name other players. I've long hated the abilty to "PM" a player around the world as if every Pilgrim has some kind of telepathic ability and would be much happier if "Chat" was a local-only affair. So with the change I may very well remove the ability to do in-game chat. I trust your concerns are now solved :).
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Ronch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:42 pm

JohnCarver wrote: Don't be fooled by the population numbers as if they overly concern me. There will be a day when I care. And that day will be when I once again dump large piles of $$ into marketing. Until then, I would actually prefer 25 players on the edge of their seat questioning their every move in fear of witches than 2500 players who could care less about the mechanic. At the moment, the idea of a Witch messing up your gameplay, who it could be, and who you 'know' that did it, is not thought about even in a given month, let alone a play session. This is the aimed changed. If nobody likes playing in fear and paranoia, well then, thats a reflection of my own failure in luring in a player base on a false sense of security in the first place. Salem is not a sit back in the recliner and leisure your way around experience. Its intended that when you engage it you gamble all that time that you have spent. In this case the gamble of loss through negative character interaction is just being tipped further in the favor of the house.

I, and I am pretty sure most folks who enjoy this game want to see more Witches active in the game (even everyday in the game) but degrading the game's only chat feature to implement this is ridiculous and will prove to be very costly in the short term (that you are not so worried about, and I understand) but also in the long term too.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby MaxPlanck » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Uhhhhh...? Delete forum pms and forum threads regarding casual chatting with other players then if you are going to remove in-game pm's aswell.

Idk :roll:

I really don't know what to say to a dev that wants to remove chats and say you should rely on 3rd party programs for talking like I know this is 2018 and all and everyone uses 3rd party chat programs to begin with that doesn't mean its a good idea.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Ronch wrote:I, and I am pretty sure most folks who enjoy this game want to see more Witches active in the game (even everyday in the game) but degrading the game's only chat feature to implement this is ridiculous and will prove to be very costly in the short term (that you are not so worried about, and I understand) but also in the long term too.

You missed the statement above that this will have no bearing on the 'chat feature' of the game. Given that I will just remove in-game PM entirely if that is the case and replace it with creating smoke signals on fires through blankets that then display 'morse code' on the player you are trying to communicate with miles away. Nobody will then use this mechanic, and will all flock to discord for their communication, which frankly, in any modern game is where players 'communicate' anyway. Since I cannot fully control communication, I see no point in trying to do so, and definitely no point in ignoring the primary RELATIONSHIP mechanic (not chat) as the means for which to govern who you have relationships with.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Ronch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Ronch wrote:
I do not think you nor JC see or even care to look at the far reaching implications of doing that to this in-game chat feature (the kin list).

The Kin-List has never been a "Chat feature" and the fact it exists is only out of a convenience. You have discord for true chat programs. The Kin List allows permissions on claims, showing online status, and acts as a notepad for you to name other players. I've long hated the abilty to "PM" a player around the world as if every Pilgrim has some kind of telepathic ability and would be much happier if "Chat" was a local-only affair. So with the change I may very well remove the ability to do in-game chat. I trust your concerns are now solved :).

And no my concerns are not solved you narcistic coward !
You wont succeed with your childish threats to modify the current kin list in attempts to stifle my opinion, Sir,

If you did or do not want conversations in feed-back to derive from your notes to us about upcoming updates, then why the hell do you even post them to begin with ?
...That is even more idiotic than what you plan to do to the kin-list as a channel for Witch curses.
Last edited by Ronch on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Nsuidara » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:Uhhhhh...? Delete forum pms and forum threads regarding casual chatting with other players then if you are going to remove in-game pm's aswell.

I really don't know what to say to a dev that wants to remove chats and say you should rely on 3rd party programs for talking like I know this is 2018 and all and everyone uses 3rd party chat programs to begin with that doesn't mean its a good idea.

I was like Ultima Online priv role play servers - because here only chat "where you can hear" - walls block etc.

when PM will be removed can be implement "post office" for send leters :P
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Nsuidara wrote:
MaxPlanck wrote:Uhhhhh...? Delete forum pms and forum threads regarding casual chatting with other players then if you are going to remove in-game pm's aswell.

I was like Ultima Online priv role play servers - because here only chat "where you can hear" - walls block etc.

Screw post office. Give us falcons and allow us to send falcons to deliver letters to people even if the letter means a pm that is delayed every 3-5 mins per delivery.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Heffernan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:
Nsuidara wrote:

Screw post office. Give us falcons and allow us to send falcons to deliver letters to people even if the letter means a pm that is delayed every 3-5 mins per delivery.

u mean.... i can finally get my letter to Hogwarts :o
Heffernan

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Ronch wrote:If you did or do not want conversations in feed-back to derive from your notes to us about upcoming updates, then why the hell do you even post them to begin with ?

I did want feedback. For this exact reason. The feedback I got was "I was so totally obsessed with Chat-MMO 2018 that I completely ignored the entire Kin Mechanic in favor of it being some glorified online chat room". So that the secondary use of a relationship mechanic was perceived to be some method of Telepathic Chat. Reminding me that I hate Telepathic Chat supported in the game, and thus reminding me that its not just damaging from its illogical use, but also damaging the perception of the mechanic itself.

Thanks to your feedback I now know I should strongly consider removing PM's in their current form. Thus the feedback gathering is proving successful. I fail to see how you are not happy now that no chat mechanic is ruined by Witchcraft (your original concern).

Nsuidara wrote:I was like Ultima Online priv role play servers - because here only chat "where you can hear" - walls block etc.

Yes I think this is a better direction indeed.

MaxPlanck wrote:

Yes Falcon Letters! Good god my day is so much better.

Let this stand as a shining example of what good can come out of Ronch arguing to remove PM's from Salem.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Dallane » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Heffernan wrote:u mean.... i can finally get my letter to Hogwarts :o

Heff let loose in a children's school with magical powers......nothing could go wrong there!
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements