Patch 2.2.4 Witch way? This Way!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Patch 2.2.4 Witch way? This Way!

Postby Chrumps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 am

JohnCarver wrote:I wish I could ease your minds in these troubling times but the honest truth is I'm not done figuring out the 'exact' mechanics of the kin-list shennanigans.

If there is too much (read 'any') risk related to being in a kin list, all the conversations will move to Discord.

JohnCarver wrote:As it stands though. Witch Hunters do indeed just wish to have the DESCRIBE of a witch. I.E. A witch will in all cases want to avoid being memorized AND suspected of WitchCraft.

That's fine. Suspicious activity shall be penalized.
Alternatively, what about to require or to value more accusations which come with a tangible proof of witchcraft.
E.g. Make witches randomly spawn a rat when just standing (at a really small rate, like 1 in 48 hours online time, with Poisson distribution), with higher chances to drop one when doing witch things. Then make a simple curse that will cause common people to drop rats sometimes. Use such a rat as a witchcraft proof. (could be a worm, a frog, a beetle, a deer tick, whatever)

JohnCarver wrote:False Accusations of course carry a decent penalty to the accuser, and all who join in on the mob.

I hope there is still a possibility to kill someone with false accusations with huge penalties to everyone involved.

JohnCarver wrote:As for Witches cursing pilgrims through the Kin List. This is partly due to the ease of 'targeting' players remotely, but I still think its reasonable that the Witch has something of yours in order to do so. Is that something as simple as a piece of clothing you touched? Or perhaps you vomited in town and they secretly scooped it up and brought it home. Either way, I still think its reasonable that players had more than a simple HS that lead them to their ill-interactions with Witches.

So soon everyone has an alt for doing things in the town. Cursing clothes will kill tailors trade.
What about being able to scoop footprints, with a small (like 1 in 500), chance to get something curseable. So a witch trying to target a person would have to track that person for a while, behaving in a weird way at that.

The idea is to make witch to put a lot of work into placing a curse while making it unavoidable if the witch is determined enough.
That would enable witches to lurk around bases and wait for an opportunity rather than focusing solely on Providence.

And finally the concept of not stepping on the lines between pavement tiles (staying on paved rather than walking on the sand) will have at least some justification.
Chrumps

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 am

I think a lot of players are perhaps missing the point. The goal of the new mechanics is aimed that every player will be cursed at some point in their career. Preferably numerous times. Witches will mess up your world, make your life worse, and generally be a bane on your general existence. It is only by rooting their actions so negatively in your gameplay that I have the confidence that you will actually begin embracing the mechanics to hunt them down. As such, any mechanics to 'protect' you from them, or give you more tools to 'avoid' their shennanigans will quickly find its way into my trash can.

Witches will for the most part be doing less-than-lethal actions on the world and Pilgrims, at the risk of very LETHAL retaliation from pilgrims themselves. As such they will strike dozens if not hundreds of blows against the god-fearing folk of Salem, and the Pilgrims, once having enough of their nonsense will strike a single yet fatal blow to the witch who tips them over the edge. This is the current design goal I have for the mechanic. So you will save yourselves time with suggestions on how you can be curse-proof, or 'avoid' being cursed.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Darwoth » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:37 am

Lusewing wrote:Marp didn't make the run animation:

MarpTarpton - Today at 4:03 AM
It was a commissioned redo for walk

MarpTarpton - Today at 4:04 AM
When we saw it in action as walk we dismissed it completely. Only now that we are trying dynamic movement did we remember

in that case i absolutely love the new animation and it should have been added to the game years ago.
Darwoth

Postby Chrumps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 am

JohnCarver wrote:The goal of the new mechanics is aimed that every player will be cursed at some point in their career. Preferably numerous times. Witches will mess up your world, make your life worse, and generally be a bane on your general existence.

I am OK with that.

JohnCarver wrote:So you will save yourselves time with suggestions on how you can be curse-proof, or 'avoid' being cursed.

Once again, some players will want to stay curse-proof and if they can not do it any other way, they will keep away from the town or use alts to protect themselves. Leverage that tendency instead to force weird behaviour and then make fun out of it and possibly create an opportunity for a different curse.

Also, you cannot have a good witch hunt if less than 90% of accusations are false.
Chrumps

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:53 am

Chrumps wrote:Once again, some players will want to stay curse-proof and if they can not do it any other way, they will keep away from the town or use alts to protect themselves. Leverage that tendency instead to force weird behaviour and then make fun out of it and possibly create an opportunity for a different curse.

Also, you cannot have a good witch hunt if less than 90% of accusations are false.

Witches can peer into their bases with a magic mirror, and an eyeball. So hanging out in your base is a sure way to get cursed.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby MaxPlanck » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 am

Will you allow us to raise our Perennial Philosophy or Faith & Wisdom to negate the chances of spells succeeding vs a roll on the witch's spellpower and perennial?
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Nsuidara » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 am

JohnCarver wrote:I think a lot of players are perhaps missing the point. The goal of the new mechanics is aimed that every player will be cursed at some point in their career. Preferably numerous times. Witches will mess up your world, make your life worse, and generally be a bane on your general existence. It is only by rooting their actions so negatively in your gameplay that I have the confidence that you will actually begin embracing the mechanics to hunt them down. As such, any mechanics to 'protect' you from them, or give you more tools to 'avoid' their shennanigans will quickly find its way into my trash can.

Witches will for the most part be doing less-than-lethal actions on the world and Pilgrims, at the risk of very LETHAL retaliation from pilgrims themselves. As such they will strike dozens if not hundreds of blows against the god-fearing folk of Salem, and the Pilgrims, once having enough of their nonsense will strike a single yet fatal blow to the witch who tips them over the edge. This is the current design goal I have for the mechanic. So you will save yourselves time with suggestions on how you can be curse-proof, or 'avoid' being cursed.

I hope most cursing will be possible removed not like few others curse :P

Chrumps wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:I wish I could ease your minds in these troubling times but the honest truth is I'm not done figuring out the 'exact' mechanics of the kin-list shennanigans.

If there is too much (read 'any') risk related to being in a kin list, all the conversations will move to Discord.

Then, my little sugest remove chat from game :D
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 am

MaxPlanck wrote:Will you allow us to raise our Perennial Philosophy or Faith & Wisdom to negate the chances of spells succeeding vs a roll on the witch's spellpower and perennial?

It may be prof based. Or perhaps it is based on how frequently you go to church. Either way I think its reasonable that pilgrims can do 'some' stuff to cause a chance for a witch to fizzle her curse. But again this is going the wrong way because I want players to focus on finding out who is doing it to them, and prosecuting them, more than they focus on the prevention side of it.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Darwoth » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 am

regardless of whatever changes transpire with witches id just like to remind heffernan i have the most powerful witch in the game and it shall one day make its way to providence, be afraid heffernan. be very afraid.
Darwoth

Postby Nsuidara » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am

JohnCarver wrote:
MaxPlanck wrote:Will you allow us to raise our Perennial Philosophy or Faith & Wisdom to negate the chances of spells succeeding vs a roll on the witch's spellpower and perennial?

It may be prof based. Or perhaps it is based on how frequently you go to church. Either way I think its reasonable that pilgrims can do 'some' stuff to cause a chance for a witch to fizzle her curse. But again this is going the wrong way because I want players to focus on finding out who is doing it to them, and prosecuting them, more than they focus on the prevention side of it.

I little feel worry about this
Why ? Because if you give possible cursing with kin etc. where witch can throw cursing on own safe pclaim
Then how possible hunt witch ?

When 14 blazers + 30 torches, few blazers pure
and they first shot deal ~300 black dmg and ~300 blood dmg ?
when player have stone/plank/brick walls ?
ofc. i'm not asking change it, but i feel will be hard... if 10 player trying raid that pclaim i dont know will be possible... somebody leave vadalism scent etc...
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements