Salem: Drunk with Power <Concord Server>

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Salem: Drunk with Power <Concord Server>

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Greetings Salemites,
Lets try this again! We teased a 2017 Expedition in 2016, and for reasons I'd prefer not re-hash failed to deliver for most of the year. However, resolutions &all we have been quite diligent at finding out if there is a world where a 2017 promise could be kept and the official word is it is going to be close!. The new expedition, bar any map-generation complications, is in a position to launch in 2017! So while I'm spending every hour of the next 96 trying to get us ready lets spend some time chatting about it, revving up a hype train, discussing what is and is not going to change, and maybe make some last minute influential requests before I push the c0dez!

UPDATE: It is entirely possible this expedition will launch in less than 24 hours.

I'm Happy to say that the Major Mechanics promised ALL made it in. To no surprise as the Providence mechanics have been live and operating for the last month or so without any major issues or complications.
Major New Mechanics:
New Craving System - Prov + Expedition
Trade Order System - Prov + Expedition
Wine/Alcohol Industry - Expedition Only

Expedition Related Roadmap:
I am going to try my best to push more expedition related content while it is in progress there are three things that are 'debt' and should have been live but won't be so they will be my direct focus after pushing expedition.
*Masonic Lodge (Required for the Trade Order rewards system).
*Beer (the substance itself is live but its effects are rooted in combat which is better served for the combat revamp. Possibly the 'next' thing I focus on after expedition goes live).
*Wagons/Horses (Fairly relevant for the PVE win condition aspect so will make a solid push here as well).

Frequently Asked Questions:
What has been done to change/improve map generation? What does this map look like?
I will have an image for y'all soon enough. But the map size itself is currently being built half as tall as popham and 50-100% 'longer'. I.E the X coordinate may be as much as double popham but the net square meters should be less, if for no other reason than this will have an eastern shoreline and the ocean will take up some of it. The city will be near the Western Zone wall and the areas to the direct northern zone wall and direct southern zone wall should all be 'light'. I.E the only way to achieve the darkness is to travel "EAST" to the ocean.

What are you doing to make sure the PvE Players will want to play, and how will you ensure the "Ark" doesn't happen again?
First of all, the Ark was awesome and everybody who didn't finish it should feel dirty and ashamed. But moving on, Salem far too often is a game of mini-milestones. I feel that when a global goal is trying to be achieved the contributions of the few can be psychologically overbearing. As such, PvE Players will still have a 'win-condition' that sends the content home to the masses but I have made it a bit more involving and less 'grindy'. Grapes on the Expedition will be very dependent on which soil they can grow in. For Providence the concept of Soil Rejection will not be ported. Basically the closer to the starter city/light/west the better your grapes will grow. The further east the harder to grow your grapes. However, the Pilgrims of Providence have contracted a Trading Company to set sail to the shores each Cold Snap to gather up litres of wine! Once 10 Shipments of wine are delivered the carebears win and grapes come home to Providence. Progress on # of shipments will hopefully be under server status here: http://login.salemthegame.com/portal/state.

Doesn't this mean that the PVP-centric players will use this opportunity to massacre all of us that are bringing our wine to the boats each season? What will you do to stop the players from camping the boats and preventing players from getting our wine home! Welcome to Salem. However, the boats will stay on the beach for quite some time so while it may be a blood bath it would also be a commitment to 'camp' the boats in such a manner for the entire duration. Also if players achieved this in 10 seasons/weeks then this expedition would be far too short so some failure is expected.

What are you doing to speed this expedition up so it doesn't drag on like the last one?
Two things. First, Witches will be seeded much sooner with an NPC hopefully showing up within the first few days/weeks to convert witches. Second, the ability for a witch to end the server is being moved down from Tier III status to (100 Perennial). We may also release the location of the statues sooner as well.

Why do I want wine? What does it do?
Are you some kind of heathen? It makes you more sophisticated. Also, it hooks into the craving system. Those who don't use cravings, will find they don't require wine. But those who enjoy satisfying a craving every now and then will find wine will increase your effectiveness.

Any other major changes?
Unfortunately, Trade Orders, Cravings, and the new industries did suck up what available time we had in development. I'm doing my best to put in a new 'vine' of sorts that should be fun but if I cannot get it right before mapgen() it may not make it in.

Any changes to the Win Condition?
Other than the skill-gate being removed for a witch to end the server the win condition remains the same.

Any changes to the rewards?
I don't think so. Rewards should stay the same.
Winner of the server gets to take home some trophies, tons of wine, gets a statue in providence and $250.00 store credit.
Top 10 Leaderboards all have their own rewards that I should copy/paste into this thread sometime.

Any changes to the crime system
Nothing major immediately. Cannons will be live again and of course make popping into a well defended base much easier. I will also try to leave it so unpaid claimstones are easily raid-able.

Just to for record Keeping. This was patch 2.0 and the following mini patches were pushed during this launch:

----------
Fix to Craving Bug
Some tooltip fixes
Cougars no longer display on the mini map
Further Gluttony Nerf

--------
*Players may not build Trial By Combats and must complete their justice the old fashion way. An alternate system may be explored depending on how things go down.
*Gluttony Timer Nerf
*Stocking players now last a single hour.
*Stocking somebody no longer rewards justice points on the Expedition.
*Defensive Structures no longer critical hit on an Expedition.
*Torchposts now do 25% of previous damage.
*Braziers now do approx 40% of previous damage.
*crime claim drain has been reduced to .5 Bbile dmg per tick.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Salem: Drunk with Power <Concord Server>

Postby Vigilance » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Excellent! Cheers to a new expedition.
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby Nikixos » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:03 pm

ITS HABBENING
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby strpk0 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:05 pm

strpk0

Postby Heffernan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:05 pm

now if JC read his skype wed have more maximum effects :)
Heffernan

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Meanwhile, on the test server

ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Vigilance » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:23 pm

That's one way to do trellises, I suppose. :lol:
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby Nikixos » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:25 pm

I wonder if adding some beers/brewings with drug effects without the withdrawals would be possible (Walking faster, Carrying more)
But if it's only going to be wine and beer i guess this expedition will end faster as you envisioned it, nevertheless, me and a lot other ppl will come for the blood bath :D
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Nikixos wrote:I wonder if adding some beers/brewings with drug effects without the withdrawals would be possible (Walking faster, Carrying more)
But if it's only going to be wine and beer i guess this expedition will end faster as you envisioned it, nevertheless, me and a lot other ppl will come for the blood bath :D

Yes I wrestled with beer and alcohol being similar to 'drugs' for some time. But couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I opted for Tipsy to be part of the combat system rework. Which shafted beer out of an immediate use but since its going to be a high priority after launch I don't think its the end of the world. There is still wine.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby matan002 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:28 pm

When will we see the giant turtle? :OOO
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Next

Return to Announcements