1.4.1. Jingle Jumble

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

1.4.1. Jingle Jumble

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:35 am

Greetings Pilgrims,
I was able to return in early December as anticipated and have been slowly working my way through some items. I'm sure it is no surprise to most of you that we have struggled to find a good rhythm since Patching 1.0 and a balance between large monumental tasks and small updates to keep things fresh. This patch is the first effort in trying to get on a schedule of updates be them small or large. So by Midnight Sunday (PST) I'm making all efforts to shut down my projects, tie up loose ends, and comment out or branch off my latest c0de troubles and at least share with you what progress was made be it big or small. I'll also try to add a few notes about what sucked up time in the event the patch looks suspiciously like a small workload, as well as give some kind of warning if it looks like I may not be able to to get something out by the subsequent Sunday. Lets see how this goes.

New Trade Orders
(5) New Trade Orders have been added.

New Content
*Players may now make Candy Baskets

4th X-mas Event
*All rewards for this years Christmas event along with the changes to the naughty-nice event are now updated in the code base and ready to drop as the holiday approaches. Watch for Marps normal festive visits. This year Marp demanded that at least one reward be animated.

Bugfixes & Misc.
*Pinata Poles no longer obstruct players which should make candy more easily picked up.
*Bugfix: Garlic bread no longer becomes a craving. It has been replaced with Garlic Bread Slices.
*Weight of Tasty Taco slightly decreased.
*Bounding Boxes for Barn walls have been reduced. Contemplating letting you build barn walls dynamically for unique barn layouts. No guarantees.
*Added Two new Developer tools for Marp.

In the Works
This new section of "In the Works" is a window in where my time went that may not be obvious in the patch notes of what you can play with today but maybe hype? No guarantees that what I'm wasting time on will ever go live, but at least you can see what I'm up to and launch feedback or motivate me not to discard a project.

*Masonic uses: Necklaces are live on his Majesty stall and I'm sick that you guys don't have the immediate rewards in place for them. This was a focal/finish point to already launched Trade Orders and I'm intent on making this round out and be complete prior to launching the expedition.

*Wine is now live on the Test Server. The systems to craft it are now 90% complete. Next week focus will be on polishing up vineyards. Much of my focus is going into trying not be a liar about the (2017) Expedition 2 promise date.

*Astrology. I couldn't help myself and started working on an astrology system. I'm 50/50 on if I can get this in with expedition content or if it will be a fun thing to throw in shortly after.

*UI Image Overlays. Simple, thing but still time consuming. Would be a nice technology so that I can draw more dynamic buffs, debuffs, and icons without the need to have custom images made each time and without the need for client changes. Will probably burn some of my time next week on this too because I always like things that make the future development of Salem easier.

*Combat Revamp. Marp shut me down before I got more than a few hours into it. I still like the direction I was going, and want to entertain using this next expedition as an opportunity to mix combat up a bit. I dislike the idea of tampering with the competitive nature of an expedition but do think that with a few adjustments we could have more engaging combat and a system that allows me to add a new weapon or ability every few months to keep things fresh and establish a meta if you will that changes every so often.

*HuggleSquirts. Those of you with bots made me mad. And I found a way to both punish you, and lessen the need for botting by diminishing the tedious nature of many base-tasks through the help of HuggleSquirts. I then realized that this could be a really big thing and Marp talked me into it being a possibility for a future expedition instead of letting it destroy my into a hole for weeks/months on end trying to implement it. Take this as the reminder that I reserve the right to bring back SalemMan your friendly bot banner. Knock off the automated tasks on the good faith that I am bringing you some level of integrated automation some day.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: 1.4.1. Jingle Jumble

Postby Bjebr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for the "In the Works" part !

Bjebr
Bjebr

Postby TheDuke86 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 am

***** yes Lord!
WWJCD; What Would John Carver Do!
-The Duke
TheDuke86

Postby nosfirebird » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:03 am

what skill do we need for candy baskets? is it for storing candy or does it give candy and has it been updated with the latest candies?
nosfirebird

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 am

Candy baskets are not created through the crafting menu. Anybody who has a legacy candy basket, will find that it has been morphed into the new candy baskets.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Adelewhy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks for the update!
Adelewhy

Postby nosfirebird » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:15 am

JohnCarver wrote:Candy baskets are not created through the crafting menu. Anybody who has a legacy candy basket, will find that it has been morphed into the new candy baskets.

ok its for storage of candy. the pinata update was sweet but when you break it open the loading screen stays on for 4 secs and the candy vanishes within about 5-7 secs (seems kinda random)can the time before it vanishes be extended by a bit? or is it tied into some sort of server side garbage collect

the pinatas are time intensive about 6+ mins ea
nosfirebird

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am

nosfirebird wrote:
ok its for storage of candy. the pinata update was sweet but when you break it open the loading screen stays on for 4 secs and the candy vanishes within about 5-7 secs (seems kinda random)can the time before it vanishes be extended by a bit? or is it tied into some sort of server side garbage collect

I would suspect the loading is because you are seeing a candy for the first time and its loading the ground graphic? Are you sure you have experienced this after you have witnessed every candy once before? The problem here most likely involves me not sending the candy drop graphics in the original download of the game. I'm going to revisit all the assets and how they are delivered before the launch of the next expedition.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am

Also here is one of the sweet Sweaters Marp made for me this X-mas on the test server!

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby nosfirebird » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am

JohnCarver wrote:
nosfirebird wrote:

I would suspect the loading is because you are seeing a candy for the first time and its loading the ground graphic? Are you sure you have experienced this after you have witnessed every candy once before? The problem here most likely involves me not sending the candy drop graphics in the original download of the game. I'm going to revisit all the assets and how they are delivered before the launch of the next expedition.

even after a few breaks it still gets hung up on the loading screen but id be willing to bet its because i have 5mb net. (best i can get out here sadly)
nosfirebird

Next

Return to Announcements