Game Development: Boarded up Feelings

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Boarded up Feelings

Postby iamah » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 am

timber pile is crazy, I got all dry board from a pile with objects at 2, 3 tiles distance... then piles with 10 free tile radius got more than 50% moldy boards...
iamah

Postby Sevenless » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:31 am

iamah wrote:timber pile is crazy, I got all dry board from a pile with objects at 2, 3 tiles distance... then piles with 10 free tile radius got more than 50% moldy boards...

Don't assume that anything is guaranteed.

My understanding of all the data I've seen people bring in + what Jorbtar have said about it is roughly this:

Every board pile has a chance to catch mold.
-Not stated directly, but jorb may have vaguely hinted at this.

Objects near a pile both increase the chance of mold being caught, AND the damage dealt by mold
- It is common to hear people complain about 50% losses in open areas when there's mold, but early reports with objects nearby were hitting up to 80% losses frequently.

Moldy piles increase the chance of nearby piles also becoming moldy.
- This was a direct statement from loftar I believe.

Summary: I have no clue what the actual required distance is, try PMing loftar if you really want to know. Either way: You'll always get mold. Clearing area around the piles just decreases the losses from it, massively so considering the losses of early testers.

- Jorbtar have made mention they're considering modifying this in the future to be influenced by fire in some way. No ETA, no hints of it having been released yet.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby JinxDevona » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 am

My research is little, but from what I've seen so far you will also get less moldy boards if you collect as soon as your pile is ready. Piles I put in the exact same places under the exact same conditions resulted in very little moldy boards when I collected them soon after they were ready, but ALL moldy boards when I collected them 12+ hours after they were ready.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby Sevenless » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 am

JinxDevona wrote:My research is little, but from what I've seen so far you will also get less moldy boards if you collect as soon as your pile is ready. Piles I put in the exact same places under the exact same conditions resulted in very little moldy boards when I collected them soon after they were ready, but ALL moldy boards when I collected them 12+ hours after they were ready.

That may account for the "chance of moldy boards even without objects". I'm only surmising what people have found and reported after all.

Would require some testing in a large enough scale to be sure it isn't also random chance mixed with that though.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Potjeh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:08 pm

I got 37/40 mouldy boards in a pile that I harvested within an hour or two of it drying, and 5 other piles that had same spacing from other objects gave me 40/40 dry.
Potjeh

Postby Sevenless » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Potjeh wrote:I got 37/40 mouldy boards in a pile that I harvested within an hour or two of it drying, and 5 other piles that had same spacing from other objects gave me 40/40 dry.

What we're missing is that mould may set in over time, not a % chance per pile. Longer you let your pile sit, more mould rolls? Eh who knows. It's not a system that's easily tested for sure.
Sevenless

Postby Potjeh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Picked them at the same time, were built at the same time. And it couldn't have been more than a couple of hours after they finished drying.
Potjeh

Postby JinxDevona » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Ah, but try leaving one for 12+ hours after it is ready.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby Myrdred » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:54 pm

In regards to your discussion i have boards lying around just like coal piles and from my experience, once the drying process is complete, nothing influences them any more, it doesn't matter how long they are left in the pile.
Myrdred

Postby LackofCertainty » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Potjeh wrote:I got 37/40 mouldy boards in a pile that I harvested within an hour or two of it drying, and 5 other piles that had same spacing from other objects gave me 40/40 dry.

I want to echo this post.

I've been checking my timber piles morning and night, and this morning my pile finished. (so at most we have an 8 hour gap if it finished right after I went to bed)

My pile was setup with 5 tiles open between it and the wall (only 4 tiles open diagonally to the southwest because of a leanto) and it gave me 3 dry boards and 37 moldy. : /

At my previous settlement, I had a terrible setup and had a timber pile that was next to my wooden fence, and I had several boxes and a compost ~3 tiles away, and I got a 40 dry, 0 moldy there.

Timber pile before that was relatively clear with only 2 stumps within 5 tiles, and that gave 36 dry and 4 moldy.

It's discouraging right now, because it feels like dry/mold is more determined by random chance than anything I do about it. I realize that 3 timber piles is a small sample to draw conclusions from, but they had exactly the opposite payout of what they should. My most crowded timber pile gave the best payout, and my most "in the clear" pile gave the worst payout.

What if once per day, there was an option to check a timber pile, and doing so would pull out the 5 worst boards, and reduce the chances for the rest of the pile to get moldy. It'd be a balance between lowering your overall gain to get better odds, or gambling for an all or nothing pile.

Another option would be to allow players to right click on a pile and see a bar that shows how moldy it currently is. If I could check my pile daily, I could plan around a bad pile and set more piles to compensate. As it is, it's just a kick in the balls if you get a high mold pile.
LackofCertainty

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements