Game Development: Boarded up Feelings

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Boarded up Feelings

Postby sabinati » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Shiala wrote:I moved to a new location because my neighbor was cutting down the entire forest to build his 20+ timber piles at a time. That HAD been a lovely place to live, now it's nothing more than a clear cut stump field.

wouldn't it have been easier to just murder your neighbor
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Shiala » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 pm

If I had murder, yes. At the time I didn't and I had really just gotten going with that camp. Once I found a new spot to set up, it only took a couple of days to get my new place built to the point that the old one was. In fact, the new one is actually better because it was built with a plan in mind where the first one just kind of expanded organically. :lol:
Shiala

Postby Nixman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:25 pm

I know what you mean, my old place wasn't too bad but it ended up looking a bit of a mess, especially when this update came out as I had to suddenly find a large amount of space I hadn't initially planned for, then the tree planting update came out and it gave me a chance to look for somewhere else.
Glad I did, 2 days after moving everything but coal and humus, my old place got raided :D (They really wanted that coal and crap I guess! Unless they were just mad.)
Nixman

Postby littlealex » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:53 am

Nixman wrote:Glad I did, 2 days after moving everything but coal and humus, my old place got raided :D (They really wanted that coal and crap I guess! Unless they were just mad.)

Is it really considered a raid if the stuff is unclaimed?
littlealex

Postby Shiala » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:16 pm

If it's unclaimed, abandoned, or no one gets stabbed in the face, I consider it "pillaging" not "raiding". Of course when there's nothing to even pillage, it's really just being a nosy bastard. When I left my old place I was hoping that a lot of stuff would get destroyed by decay before anyone could really get in there and loot anything. Not that there was much to take besides empty containers, I took everything with me, including the coal and humus. LOL
Shiala

Postby inzain » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:16 pm

so ive recently gotten forestry hehe, and this might sound silly, but ive actually been considering making a wall around my place with trees. i know the success rate sucks but i planted about 18 in pots and got a 50% return, so every 3 days that (if i highly expanded it) could mean one wall complete. with say a a stone hedge and gate between between the end and beginning of trees(making a door). staggering the doors, would pretty much guarantee that people come thru the gates yes? i mean i couldnt destroy my trees(i tried and nothing would happen), id have to sit there and chop them, and with them side by side only one raider could at a time. so i was thinking, stone wall, treee wall, then stone wall, all gates staggered, then i could stagger just a cornerpost and gate on the entrance wall, as many times as i wanted, they would have to bust thru as many as i placed there,

T=tree S=hedge G=gate
O=OPEN AREA
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
STTTTTTTTTSSSG
STSSSSSSSSSTSGG
STSOOOOOSTGGS
STSOOOOOSGGSS <-- COULD STAGGER GATES INDEFINITELY ON THIS SIDE YES?
STSOOOOOGGSSS
STSOOOOOGTSSS
STSSSSSSSSSTSSS
STTTTTTTTTSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

a rough crude example illistrating the idea i have.

so the only thing stopping me(as i thought of this after planting the trees outside), is can trees be placed side by side? 1 per square? on flat land? if so i think this might be about the most impenetrable wall of all 3 currently available types.
(of course extending one beyond this and homestead one beyond that so the perp would have commmitted his thrird crime BEFORE getting to the tree wall, as im not sure if cutting a tree on a homestead would trigger defences.)
gogo forestry!!!? or am i not seeing something here?
inzain

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 am

Don't trees have a no-hitbox area around them to grow properly?

If not, then it's an easy fix to prevent treevaults.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby littlealex » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:06 am

Sevenless wrote:Don't trees have a no-hitbox area around them to grow properly?

If you're asking if tree growth is stunted by nearby objects, the answer from Jorb is no.
littlealex

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:32 pm

littlealex wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Don't trees have a no-hitbox area around them to grow properly?

If you're asking if tree growth is stunted by nearby objects, the answer from Jorb is no.

Well there's our easy fix if this becomes a problem.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby rodrigoq » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:27 am

There is nothing wrong with mass deforestation. I like to think of my rotating 14+ timber piles as a sign of a strong economy and healthy forestry industry. I don't replant the forests after I clear cut them, that's for the hippies and tree huggers to do. I leave them the stumps so they can cook their mushrooms and eat their vegan steaks. Besides, the forests surrounding my fort are pristine, it's the 4 or 5 players and some weird town near my logging operation that might have an issue. Hope they have forestry.
rodrigoq

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements