2017 Roadmap

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

2017 Roadmap

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:59 am

Greetings Salemites,

I’m posting our roadmap for John this year, mainly because he is currently hard at work on Popham finals and a new patch. This list is not an exhaustive one, so don’t be discouraged if something you want isn’t there, it’s all still on the “Big List O’ Future Salem Updates”.

2017 Hopefuls:

The Second Expedition
This is our first big goal for the new year, and most of it is ready to go right now. We’ll be having new wine and beer industries for you to bring home, and a few changes to gluttony we think you’ll like. Not going to give away too much of it here though.

Salvage
We’re working hard on this one right now. You’ve been asking for it for a long time, a way to recover some of your supplies when destroying a structure. We would like to set this up so that you can salvage a structure that is either unclaimed or on a claim you have permissions on, so that you will both get benefits from removing the structure and not have to try to destroy or arson your own stuff. Especially in mines.

New Bosses
The Mother Bat was only the beginning. We have plans to add more.

Upgrade-able Walls
This one is long overdue, really. We want walls to be something you can improve over time, so you can build a wall once and then upgrade it to the next level instead of having to bash it down.

Revamps
We’re still planning on revamping combat, raiding, and witchcraft, adding some new abilities, some new skills.

Lockpicking
We’re working on a set of lockpicking skills that will allow players to finally break into those pesky locked houses. But don’t worry, it will not be an easy skill to master and as envisioned right now, braziers will trigger and summonable scents will drop. We’re hoping too that it will create a new demand for highly skilled locksmiths similar to the demand for good tailors.

Rotting Meat
We still want this to be a thing, but it’s not a high priority right now. We have several more fun mechanics lined up to be added first.

Another World
Whales were a lot of fun, but we can do more. We have an idea for at least one more ‘world’ for you to explore.

Proximity Technology
This one will be mostly behind the scenes, but we intend to add the ability for the server to cause things to happen based on how close the player is to an object. This will allow us to do some nice things we can’t do yet such as let you warm up while standing anywhere near a lit fire or stove.

Button Depressing Technology
As mentioned in the last roadmap, we want to be able to make pressing a button longer have an effect on the action being performed. Once we can do that, we can finally add archery as a hunting/combat mechanic.

Hidden Object Technology
Making it possible for an object to become invisible and stay invisible when their tile is loaded. This will allow things like buried treasure, snares, man traps, the possibilities here are almost endless.

Tarot Card System
A mini-game trading card game with collectable tarot cards, rare cards, booster packs. We intend to have a rule set that will allow you to play a game with these cards in addition to having a fun new thing to collect.

Book System Update
We’ve managed to add better fonts to our books but we can do more, and we intend to.

Horse Breeding
Still on the table, horses will be breedable and permanent and will have a speed variable which can only be increased by breeding a better horse.

Donkeys & Minecarts
We were able to get a small amount of the background code into the server for this but there is still work to do. We intend for you to be able to breed donkeys in addition to your horses and those donkeys will be the power behind automatically transporting ore from the depths of your mine to the surface.

Archaeology System
We want to make digging more fun, and we want your digging bonuses to mean something. It’s mainly a question of how deep you should have to dig to find a treasure and what sorts of treasures would be fair.

Water Monsters
Sharks!

Blood Moon Incentives
Better loots for animals that die during a Blood Moon, other reasons to be out doing risky things.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Re: 2017 Roadmap

Postby saltmummy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:14 am

First!

I look foreword for whats to come. especially upgradable walls and salvage.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby GWashington » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 am

Wait, this looks almost exactly the same as 2016's road map. wtf happend to this game
Last edited by GWashington on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheena wrote:If I was asked WTF is wrong with Necrobane, I'd probably answer "GWashington was wrong with Necrobane".
GWashington

Postby Forungi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 am

This list has all the things I want.
Forungi

Postby Adelewhy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:11 am

Yay! Thanks for the summary of what's potentially coming! Love the fact you're considering allowing walls to be upgradable! And traps and sharks!
Adelewhy

Postby Nsuidara » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 am

Upgrade-able Walls
This one is long overdue, really. We want walls to be something you can improve over time, so you can build a wall once and then upgrade it to the next level instead of having to bash it down.

Revamps
We’re still planning on revamping combat, raiding, and witchcraft, adding some new abilities, some new skills.

Lockpicking
We’re working on a set of lockpicking skills that will allow players to finally break into those pesky locked houses. But don’t worry, it will not be an easy skill to master and as envisioned right now, braziers will trigger and summonable scents will drop. We’re hoping too that it will create a new demand for highly skilled locksmiths similar to the demand for good tailors.

it's interesting and made worry about my home :(
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 am

how bad is it that the thing i look forward to the most is the upgradeable walls? Aside from that, looks like there should be a lot of fun stuff the coming year.
Let's hope it's also offset with enough salt and tears for our enjoyment.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 am

Kandarim wrote:how bad is it that the thing i look forward to the most is the upgradeable walls? Aside from that, looks like there should be a lot of fun stuff the coming year.

I mean, upgradable walls are fine. But if they let you upgrade plank stone wall to a steel one it just does not make any sense. But if you are to upgrade a stone wall and keep it the same tier just stronger, that would be nice.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Dallane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:51 am

ZoddAlmighty wrote:
Kandarim wrote:how bad is it that the thing i look forward to the most is the upgradeable walls? Aside from that, looks like there should be a lot of fun stuff the coming year.

I mean, upgradable walls are fine. But if they let you upgrade plank stone wall to a steel one it just does not make any sense. But if you are to upgrade a stone wall and keep it the same tier just stronger, that would be nice.

I would assume that upgrading means that you go to the next level in wall strength and pay for the price. It's not like you upgrade things for free.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:16 am

Yeah i understand that you will pay the price.
But it still has no sense in my opinion to upgrade a pure wood (beside nails) object into a pure brick or stone one. Like i said, reinforcing it is fine.
Anyhow, bigger groups can just spam **** stonehedge and upgrade it when ever to a brick or even metal one because its allowed. They dont need to ´waste time breaking it and rebuilding the wall which should be a consequence of bad design choices.
I just completelly disagree with the mechanic. If you ***** up you should pay the price in time and resources.
ZoddAlmighty

Next

Return to Announcements