2017 Roadmap

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: 2017 Roadmap

Postby Kandarim » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am

except most of the time it's not down to poor design choices, but you end up wasting 4 tiles for your wall width instead of a single one, because you can't be bothered to make the highest tier wall first. Even then, with an additional wall type announced and everyone having to take that into account when designing bases, this will save a lot of time and hassle.

Honestly, I don't see why you would not want this. If it makes you feel better, you could notice that the various wall types are always slightly bigger than their predecessors, so you could just think about it as 'reinforcing'.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Chrumps » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks for posting the roadmap !

Upgrade-able Walls
If the new mechanics allows just building a better wall section in place of a lower tier one, while paying in full all relevant costs, including the initial cornerpost, but skipping the hassle of destroying the old wall and skipping all issues with splashing and having a partially damaged wall section next to the construction site it would be just fine.

Water monsters
Sharks are sea creatures so they might be hunted for loot, but they are not going to impact swimming in rivers or lakes.
I'd rather see some alligators or piranhas to scare river swimming amateurs.

Proximity Technology
My first thought was proximity landmines :) . But warming at fireplaces is welcome too.

Lockpicking
Will it come with different lock tiers ?
Chrumps

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:41 am

Like i said, choices should have consequences.
And like you said 'because you can not be bothered'.
If you choose to make a **** wall to protect what ever because you are alone or in the hurry you need to bear the weight of you choices. Weight being that the named wall provides less protections against atackers and the fact that you have to destroy it to make another wall in its place.
And that is my point. A person should have forsight to build with future patches and updates on his mind ,because you will find yourself in a position that you need to destroy something that became weak to make place for something that is brand new and shiny.
If this goes in it just makes the game even more carebear. And that comes from me, prolly biggest noob in the game.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Lusewing » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Really looking forward to pertty much everything. This year is going to be fantastic!
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby matan002 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Looking back at the previous roadmap only a few things were added. Are you more confident that the team will be able to reach more goals this year?
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Postby lachlaan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:09 pm

matan002 wrote:Looking back at the previous roadmap only a few things were added. Are you more confident that the team will be able to reach more goals this year?

If what Meow said about this roadmap is also valid for the last, then all of the stuff from the last should still be on the table for some point in the future, provided they still deem the stuff to fit in with the current and future plans for the game.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby KPOTOB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Mmmm... What about domestic animals? Pigs, cows and goats? We see them in Providence?
KPOTOB

Postby core1984 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:05 pm

KPOTOB wrote:Mmmm... What about domestic animals? Pigs, cows and goats? We see them in Providence?

They should be on prov server this week delivered to the winer of popham as JC said
core1984

Postby Lazun123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm really looking forward to the raid mechanic fix. I truly hope it is improved to get people out and have fun raiding and not spend most of the day recovering BB.

I'm curious though, will lock picking be more expensive to get than arsoning? I understand it takes a lot of time for a building to burn down, but wouldn't it be easyier to
Just speed up the amount of time it takes for a house to
Burn down?
WWJCD
Lazun123

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:05 pm

GWashington wrote:Wait, this looks almost exactly the same as 2016's road map. wtf happend to this game

John and some other members of the dev team became unexpectedly busy last year and that lasted several months so we weren't able to update Salem at all for awhile. And when we did, we stuck to smaller things not on the roadmap, so that's why so little of it got done. We have more time now though and have high hopes for getting a large percentage of this roadmap into the game this year.

ZoddAlmighty wrote:Yeah i understand that you will pay the price.
But it still has no sense in my opinion to upgrade a pure wood (beside nails) object into a pure brick or stone one. Like i said, reinforcing it is fine.
Anyhow, bigger groups can just spam **** stonehedge and upgrade it when ever to a brick or even metal one because its allowed. They dont need to ´waste time breaking it and rebuilding the wall which should be a consequence of bad design choices.
I just completelly disagree with the mechanic. If you ***** up you should pay the price in time and resources.

We do intend to make it possible to upgrade to the next tier wall. The way we see it, people shouldn't have to leave a lot of space for possible future walls or build one wall outside where they really want it just so they can build a more difficult wall inside later when their skills are better. Now, if you want to layer your walls still, that's fine but when we added so many tiers of walls we wanted people to be able to have just one wall to protect the majority of their base and upgradable walls will make that more possible. I understand it can be frustrating if you had to do all the special planning and bashing down of your walls and you've got your base just how you want it and now future players won't have to bother with all that, but if you redesign your base someday or have to move, at least now you won't either.

Lazun123 wrote:I'm really looking forward to the raid mechanic fix. I truly hope it is improved to get people out and have fun raiding and not spend most of the day recovering BB.

I'm curious though, will lock picking be more expensive to get than arsoning? I understand it takes a lot of time for a building to burn down, but wouldn't it be easyier to
Just speed up the amount of time it takes for a house to
Burn down?

The skill itself won't be too difficult to get, but just getting the skill won't let you open locks. Currently, the idea is that you'll have to practice to get good at it and keep practicing to stay skilled and each lock will be like a puzzle you have to solve to open it. While under fire from braziers, probably. So, it's not going to be a walk in the park.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements