Expedition 2 - <Name Pending>

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Expedition 2 - <Name Pending>

Postby RobertoKarlos » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:40 pm

The main problem i found with Popham was that there was no point into me(a player that just want to play the expedition and dont want to be drag into Providence) to keep playing after the population decreased. Why there is all rewards and sunshine for the ****** in Providence? Why should i ***** care of a prize in a server in which i would never play again? Why i cannot punish them with a ***** plague for being a lazy bunch of carebears?

There should be a punishment for the people of Providence if they do the same **** than in Popham and just retire after 3 weeks just to wait a year or so for the animals to be added as a shop pack. I think even Providence existence should be threatened, like if you fullfill certain conditions in the expedition cause negative changes in Providence(even destruction and turn the expedition into the main server), in Popham all you had was benefits and look how it turns out? People try hard with fear, and people of Providence forgotten long ago what is fear and enter a easy/harvest moon mode.
Even with the easiest and more noob friendly conditions, they will just get ko by a bunny and ragequit to return to Providence to feel like badass kicking crickets with a titan.
So it would be cool if besides Who wins? is also who lose? I feel that is there is no threat they will not try at all(maybe just look around the new mechanics and then move out), and it would be the same circle jerk of the same 50 of us trying to do crime and raid.
RobertoKarlos

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:08 pm

Tulgarath wrote:in my opinion, had the ark been available at launch it would have been completed. Many groups had been wiped or left prior to its introduction. The server was quite active prior to the arks introduction

The ark wasn't available right away because we were waiting for the economy to balance out. Once it was clear how many people were playing and how much they were producing, the ark requirements were decided. Which just goes to show that your assumption that no one was playing by the time the ark was put in is entirely wrong. However, I do believe a couple of players had quit Popham by then and were busily spreading the rumor that Popham was 'dead'.

RobertoKarlos wrote:Why there is all rewards and sunshine for the ****** in Providence? Why should i ***** care of a prize in a server in which i would never play again? Why i cannot punish them with a ***** plague for being a lazy bunch of carebears?

Because, number one, Providence is the permanent server, and the expedition is... an expedition. A journey undertaken by the intrepid to go out and find something useful for the rest of the colonies to benefit from. But of course you could absolutely 'punish' them by preventing the building of the ark (pretty easy to do as it turns out) and winning the server, therefore keeping animals from ever coming to Providence. As it is, animals will now be introduced on Darwoth's whim. Woe.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby RobertoKarlos » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:06 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
RobertoKarlos wrote:Why there is all rewards and sunshine for the ****** in Providence? Why should i ***** care of a prize in a server in which i would never play again? Why i cannot punish them with a ***** plague for being a lazy bunch of carebears?

Because, number one, Providence is the permanent server, and the expedition is... an expedition. A journey undertaken by the intrepid to go out and find something useful for the rest of the colonies to benefit from. But of course you could absolutely 'punish' them by preventing the building of the ark (pretty easy to do as it turns out) and winning the server, therefore keeping animals from ever coming to Providence. As it is, animals will now be introduced on Darwoth's whim. Woe.

Well that is were i differ, permanent shouldnt mean permasafe from external dangers, maybe the end Providence would be going to far but to produce plagues, destruction of fields,etc and other kind of damage permanent or not(eg: infertility of fields/animals for x amount of months) to players and their bases should be ok.
I dont see many "intrepid players" in your playerbase(and aiming for them implies you wont count the players that wont care about Providence which are a lot), but i dont interact with most of the current player base when i log so i could be wrong. What Darwoth did its not cost efficient for me at least, why someone would grind for a whole year to win a chance to introduce a new feature at his whim? Playerbase wont care, they are carebear and animals will eventually be introduced by a cash shop, dev event or Darwoth since the common sense dictates that no dev will waste that amount of work in a feature just to be monopolized by a single player. He only won advantage in the start point of Providence where he is probably the only willing to racing, while the others are planting flowers and thinking about how to combine their clothes.
RobertoKarlos

Postby Darwoth » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 pm

if you want to beat up the tards on providence directly then you have to have a presence on providence if for no other reason than that, i understand the general sentiment and quite enjoyed my time on popham separated from the diaper wearing providence players but if you want to kick someones sand castle over you have to eventually go to the beach.

make mr nice guy 2.0 imo
Darwoth

Postby Tulgarath » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
Tulgarath wrote:in my opinion, had the ark been available at launch it would have been completed. Many groups had been wiped or left prior to its introduction. The server was quite active prior to the arks introduction

The ark wasn't available right away because we were waiting for the economy to balance out. Once it was clear how many people were playing and how much they were producing, the ark requirements were decided. Which just goes to show that your assumption that no one was playing by the time the ark was put in is entirely wrong. However, I do believe a couple of players had quit Popham by then and were busily spreading the rumor that Popham was 'dead'.

I never had the assumption that no one was playing. I never left, but as I have been active on Popham since day 1. If I was quoted as saying numbers went down, it was from personal observation and town activity compared to early on.

When we took out dead towns we discovered a vast amount of materials that probably could have completely at least half of the ark. As well as evidence that there were witches present. There were dozens of stock bins full of dry and planed boards and no active wall projects and barns already in place in multiple towns. To me, this indicates the ability to build into an Ark had such a project existed.
Tulgarath

Postby saltmummy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:39 pm

I just can't wait to make booze. Something a bit further south in terms of theme would be nice, if at all possible/reasonable.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby reeper_aut » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:12 am

TotalyMeow wrote:
kitty629 wrote:Name of the server should be Dionysus after the god of wine and ritual madness.

http://www.crystalinks.com/bacchus.html

Bacchus? Dionysus built the Labyrinth.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacchus

+1 for the name

numbers on popham were already down by half when ark came into play. if it was there, or even announced, numbers wouldn't have gone down so much.

salem is a game where you can loose everything in an instance at any given time. so the fun is comming from the struggle to keep onto it.
which is a problem for the expedition where you will loose everything for (almost) certain.
so, for next expedition it might not be a bad idea to have 3 ways to end it.
1. someone fulfills the conditions and ends it.
2. a group project from the start.
3. an end date where the server ends if 1.+2. isn't met. with the consequence that everything is lost. nothing from the expetition is comming to prov. opportunity forfeit!
reeper_aut

Postby Procne » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:15 am

Dallane wrote:
Darwoth wrote:in reality there was very little wrong with popham, the issue is the pacifist playerbase not the server ruleset.

A vast majority of the salem community falls into this category. No one wants to lose their precious pixels.

There were also people ready to lose pretty pixels, but they quit after a few weeks when yoloing wouldn't work anymore, after trials by combat and town bells came into play. And suddenly the game required planning, grind and sacrifices and focused more on industry rather than fencing skills.
Procne

Postby Dallane » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:25 am

Procne wrote:
Dallane wrote:
Darwoth wrote:in reality there was very little wrong with popham, the issue is the pacifist playerbase not the server ruleset.

A vast majority of the salem community falls into this category. No one wants to lose their precious pixels.

There were also people ready to lose pretty pixels, but they quit after a few weeks when yoloing wouldn't work anymore, after trials by combat and town bells came into play. And suddenly the game required planning, grind and sacrifices and focused more on industry rather than fencing skills.

bruh the yolos never stopped with GSIS
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby kabuto202 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:01 am

>How Long should the next one be ideally.

A few months. Popham was waaaaay too ***** long. I eventually lost my will to bother playing it because everything was progressing at such a slow pace, but because there's no real hard cap on player humors or wealth, I found myself quickly outpaced by all the other players as life would happen and I wouldn't be able to play for several days. Let that happen several times over the course of many months and it almost becomes entirely impossible for anyone who's maintaining a career or family to stay relevant.

Since adding catch-up mechanics isn't really in the spirit of Salem. At least having shorter expedition something in the vein of Pirates Of The Burning Sea would be nice.

EDIT: Also what's the eta on the second Expedition?
kabuto202

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements