1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby Claeyt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:57 am

TotalyMeow wrote:Claeyt, if you think it's unbalanced, give a good reason why. We can't check everything.

I am. I just gave the reason. It now costs 100s to make a single blindfold because of the red dye whereas it used to cost some rags and a bunch of cranberries but no silver. The blindfold was the second highest and easiest craftable FnW and LnL inspi after 'Remains of Old' and that can't be crafted unless you are able to hunt hydurkey's. This made it the most important inspi for going for Lucky until it got nerfed this patch. All the other high end FnW inspi's (4 leaf, Vibrant moss, Ashe's of Maudney, Traces of Lost colony) are either extremely rare or single use inspi's and not good for raising inspi levels to such high levels. This makes it harder for newer players to get the skill 'Lucky' as it takes away a very, very important inspi to get there.

More important, now it also is one of a few craftable inspi's whose recipe vastly outweighs it's use as an inspi. It's use is not worth 100s as an inspi. The silk hanky is another inspi where it's use as an inspi is vastly outweighed by it's cost of 3 egyptian cotton and a lacy edging (somewhere around 200s) I understand that these both have different uses (not getting sick, pinata) but their primary purpose is/was supposed to be craftable inspi's for raising inspiration and getting skills, not clothing or craftables whose use may be a one off. All other items in the inspi menu are for raising inspiration and skills. It seems a shame to limit the use of these 2 things for high end inspirational use.

I don't mind raising the amount needed for the blindfold a bit. Maybe if we could make the dye, but taking it out of the inspi use for the Lucky skill seems really hard on those who followed us in trying for Lucky.

Personally this isn't that big for me. I've used sheds full of blindfolds and I'm already into the high 600's for FnW and can do it with other stuff but it seems that it makes 'Lucky' even harder to get now for everyone else.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think that both of them need to be lowered (especially if dye won't be craftable). Maybe 20 cranberries for the blindfold instead of 10 without the dye being required and maybe a single piece of Egyptian plus a single piece of silk cloth to make the silk hanky. This seems more in line for what they're worth as inspi's.
Claeyt
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:19 am

Claeyt wrote:The blindfold was the second highest and easiest craftable FnW and LnL inspi after 'Remains of Old' and that can't be crafted unless you are able to hunt hydurkey's. This made it the most important inspi for going for Lucky until it got nerfed this patch. All the other high end FnW inspi's (4 leaf, Vibrant moss, Ashe's of Maudney, Traces of Lost colony) are either extremely rare or single use inspi's and not good for raising inspi levels to such high levels.


This is a good argument for their having been too easy to get in the past so that they are now more balanced.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
User avatar
TotalyMeow
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby Claeyt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 am

TotalyMeow wrote:
Claeyt wrote:The blindfold was the second highest and easiest craftable FnW and LnL inspi after 'Remains of Old' and that can't be crafted unless you are able to hunt hydurkey's. This made it the most important inspi for going for Lucky until it got nerfed this patch. All the other high end FnW inspi's (4 leaf, Vibrant moss, Ashe's of Maudney, Traces of Lost colony) are either extremely rare or single use inspi's and not good for raising inspi levels to such high levels.


This is a good argument for their having been too easy to get in the past so that they are now more balanced.

I think they were balanced towards their inspirational numbers for the work it took to make them. It wasn't easy collecting the materials for them. Now, they are not balanced to their values as inspirationals. The cost of them far out weigh their value as inspirationals. There are other inspirationasl that are much cheaper in materials to what these 2 are worth now and of slightly lesser value. The question is are these inspirationals to be used to raise inspirational levels and skills or are these clothing or tools to be used for the other things they're used for. If they are for the single use of hitting a pinata or holding in our hand in town so as not to get sick, then you only need one of them... Ever... and they shouldn't be inspirationals.

The blindfold is in the inspirational menu and personally I like as many different uses for things as possible in this game and I like maxing them out for use. To get to 'Lucky' you have to spam something: Pumpkin masks, kites, lockets... etc. The more inspi's the better for inspirational use. Blindfolds were part of that and now they are not and that makes it harder for newer players to get to where the older players are now by a lot.

This argument is a lot like the ones over snowballs (MnM) and candles (LnL) I suppose but those were replaced by other things (coin collections and ambergris). Blindfolds aren't as easily replaced for FnW and need to be rebalanced towards their use as an inspirational.
Claeyt
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby DarkNacht » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:14 am

blindfolds were way too easy to spam with how good they are, there might be an argument for increase the uses by 1 or 2, or that the cost of dyes should be reduced a little but thats just fine tuning and the current cost is much more in line with how useful it is.
Last edited by DarkNacht on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkNacht
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 am

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby Claeyt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:18 am

DarkNacht wrote:blindfolds were way too easy to spam with how good they are, there might be an argument for increase the uses by 1 or 2 but the current cost is much more in line with how useful it is.

I'd say increase it to 10 for the cost of what it is now. It's not that good of an inspi. It was easy to make but tedious to gather the materials.
Claeyt
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby DarkNacht » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:20 am

Claeyt wrote:
DarkNacht wrote:blindfolds were way too easy to spam with how good they are, there might be an argument for increase the uses by 1 or 2 but the current cost is much more in line with how useful it is.

I'd say increase it to 10 for the cost of what it is now. It's not that good of an inspi. It was easy to make but tedious to gather the materials.

10 uses would just unbalance it again
DarkNacht
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 am

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby saltmummy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 am

Claeyt wrote:The blindfold was the second highest and easiest craftable FnW and LnL inspi after 'Remains of Old' and that can't be crafted unless you are able to hunt hydurkey's.

You can get darkenbones from Quetzalcoatl as well. Maybe not easy for most nubs, but much easier than going after hydrukey. By the time you are out in the dark and trying to get the profs for lucky, a single rifle shot followed by a bullrun (if the shot didn't instantly kill) to a Quetzalcoatl is really not a big deal anyway. Not really a big risk since they have half the health of the hydrukey and can't murder players. I think? Wiki doesn't say anything about them being able to kill players.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
Image
User avatar
saltmummy
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:24 am
Location: The graveyard

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby Tulgarath » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:52 am

Claeyt wrote: This makes it harder for newer players to get the skill 'Lucky' as it takes away a very, very important inspi to get there.


Think this kills your argument. New players getting lucky???
User avatar
Tulgarath
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 am

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby MarpTarpton » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Tulgarath wrote:
Claeyt wrote: This makes it harder for newer players to get the skill 'Lucky' as it takes away a very, very important inspi to get there.


Think this kills your argument. New players getting lucky???
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
User avatar
MarpTarpton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:32 am

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby Claeyt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 pm

MarpTarpton wrote:
Tulgarath wrote:
Claeyt wrote: This makes it harder for newer players to get the skill 'Lucky' as it takes away a very, very important inspi to get there.


Think this kills your argument. New players getting lucky???

So new players, starting now, should never be able to get Lucky?

I keep saying it and a dev still hasn't answered this: Why keep blindfolds and hankies as inspirationals at all if their cost is so much more than their worth as inspirationals? Why not make them better inspirations if you make their cost so much more?
Claeyt
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests