1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: 1.3.1 Holiday Cheer

Postby Nsuidara » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:30 pm

JohnCarver wrote:Tree respawns are linked to decay timers and not internal timers. Because the server has SO many trees giving each and every tree an internal timer would be a bit problematic and concerning, which is why it has to link into decay. Decay just isn't consistent enough. As such we are where we are. Its not ideal, but until I rework decay our only option is a dramatic increase in server load to give every nut and leaf producing tree in salem a timer which seems like a worse alternative than having nuts regrow slower than ideal.

Little idea, why can not be:
1 loop for all tree per 1 or 2 day/s ?
all tree have property "last pick think time" mean when player pick then save time when be picked
and this BIG LOOP (performed in the night, bettwen 2AM and 5AM where don't many player play)
and ...
(how many tress in world ? 40k ? 100k ? 500k ? )

and how work:
decay timers - mean when i login map load and when i enter mine, they 5-15 minutes my suf... map reload ?
internal timers - example smelters ? 40-60minutes ?
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Taipion » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Nsuidara wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:Tree respawns are linked to decay timers and not internal timers. Because the server has SO many trees giving each and every tree an internal timer would be a bit problematic and concerning, which is why it has to link into decay. Decay just isn't consistent enough. As such we are where we are. Its not ideal, but until I rework decay our only option is a dramatic increase in server load to give every nut and leaf producing tree in salem a timer which seems like a worse alternative than having nuts regrow slower than ideal.

Little idea, why can not be:
1 loop for all tree per 1 or 2 day/s ?
all tree have property "last pick think time" mean when player pick then save time when be picked
and this BIG LOOP (performed in the night, bettwen 2AM and 5AM where don't many player play)
and ...
(how many tress in world ? 40k ? 100k ? 500k ? )

and how work:
decay timers - mean when i login map load and when i enter mine, they 5-15 minutes my suf... map reload ?
internal timers - example smelters ? 40-60minutes ?

Still too much trees to check probably, I'd rather only use timers on trees that have been harvested, that should do the trick, plain simple.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Nsuidara » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Taipion wrote:Still too much trees to check probably, I'd rather only use timers on trees that have been harvested, that should do the trick, plain simple.

When i mean "all trees"
mean "all trees" list all trees harvested

example:
[player] harvest tree
[script] put obiect / id_obiect into table/array for "this tree is harvested"
[script] 1 Loop per 1-2 days, check all trees in table/array "timer" for "tree: i got respawn or not"

IF 500k trees and check in night this isn't so much

Example. long ago time (~ 10 years ) ultima online prv server emulator POL/RUNUO, have per 3-6 minutes "save status game" mean all thinks be save into XML
and server need 1-5s for that and wasn't bad... but now so many computer have better paramterers... SSD HDD ... ... etc.
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Zapt13 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Don't smite me for mentioning Hafen, but there are globally stocked resources which work similarly to Nsuidara's idea. Every 2 weeks there's new clay, pearls, ancient roots, etc. The places to gather them are persistent in the world, and if you inspect them they tell you how long until they are restocked. I think this idea has merit and should be considered.

Incidentally, I do not know if tree nuts regrow in Hafen.

There could even be a buildable nut-o-meter where a set of nuts starts atop a poll and slowly falls down. When the nuts finish dropping (synchronized with the global timer) the tree nuts respawn and the nut-o-meter nuts start atop the poll anew!
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13

Postby Nsuidara » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Faster growing a new tree then grows nuts now ... :(
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Claeyt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 pm

JohnCarver wrote:*Blindfold now takes red dye instead of cranberries..

Why are the inspirationals like the blindfold and the silk hanky being made so expensive. They're completely out of proportion for their use as inspirationals. 100s for a blindfold and 3 Egyptian and a lace for a silk hanky makes them useless as inspirationals so why have them as inpirationals. They were both useful for older players to get to lucky but now you're making it much, much harder for newer players to use any of the old 'faith and wisdom' inspirationals and catch up.
Claeyt

Postby Dallane » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:35 am

Claeyt wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:*Blindfold now takes red dye instead of cranberries..

Why are the inspirationals like the blindfold and the silk hanky being made so expensive. They're completely out of proportion for their use as inspirationals. 100s for a blindfold and 3 Egyptian and a lace for a silk hanky makes them useless as inspirationals so why have them as inpirationals. They were both useful for older players to get to lucky but now you're making it much, much harder for newer players to use any of the old 'faith and wisdom' inspirationals and catch up.

If you want things to change you need to explain with facts/numbers instead of crying like a *****.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Reviresco » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 am

Raising T&N is a death sentence anyway.
Reviresco

Postby Claeyt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:28 am

Reviresco wrote:Raising T&N is a death sentence anyway.

nah, F&w is what they are for.
Claeyt

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:25 am

Claeyt, if you think it's unbalanced, give a good reason why. We can't check everything.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements